<div id="BlogBody">
<p>My mother has had pneumonia in the last few months and just
had a bronchoscopy as part of her follow-up procedures. The results of
her labs came back today saying that she has MRSA in her lung. She is
going to start treatment straight away. My question is how long we
should wait before my son could go and visit his grandmother again. My
mother has an active cough so I'm naturally cautious about what exposure
there could be to MRSA for anyone visiting her in her home.<br>
<p>How would you handle this situation ?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I am sorry your mother has been sick. I would call your child's CF doctor to ask for their input. Is your mother being treated with IV antibiotics? If your mother has an active cough then there is a risk of your child picking up MRSA, however if this has been going on with your mother for a while; may she have had MRSA and not known it thus already exposing your child? Has your child with CF been swabbed recently for a cough swab? Would be a good thing to check in about with the CF doc.

If you want to visit your mom, yourself, I would wash hands, change clothes and shower after to prevent bringing MRSA home. Unfortunately, lots of people in the community do carry MRSA , it's a big problem.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I am sorry your mother has been sick. I would call your child's CF doctor to ask for their input. Is your mother being treated with IV antibiotics? If your mother has an active cough then there is a risk of your child picking up MRSA, however if this has been going on with your mother for a while; may she have had MRSA and not known it thus already exposing your child? Has your child with CF been swabbed recently for a cough swab? Would be a good thing to check in about with the CF doc.

If you want to visit your mom, yourself, I would wash hands, change clothes and shower after to prevent bringing MRSA home. Unfortunately, lots of people in the community do carry MRSA , it's a big problem.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />If you want to visit your mom, yourself, I would wash hands, change clothes and shower after to prevent bringing MRSA home. Unfortunately, lots of people in the community do carry MRSA , it's a big problem.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
This was discussed a few years ago, I believe in the adult section. I believe ladybug had a grandmother with MRSA pneumonia who was being cared for by her parents and she was struggling to decide if she should visit her or not.

My inlaws had a similar situation a few years ago with a relative and they had us ask DS' doctor if it would be okay for them to visit. We were concerned with my FIL's sinus issues that he could end up contracting MRSA in his sinuses... In that case the doctor said they needed to think long and hard as to whether this was an important enough event to visit because he felt increased exposure was like playing russian roulette. My inlaws opted not to go visit.

IMO, call the CF clinic. See what precautions should be taken. I'd be a little (lot) edgy with the productive cough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
This was discussed a few years ago, I believe in the adult section. I believe ladybug had a grandmother with MRSA pneumonia who was being cared for by her parents and she was struggling to decide if she should visit her or not.

My inlaws had a similar situation a few years ago with a relative and they had us ask DS' doctor if it would be okay for them to visit. We were concerned with my FIL's sinus issues that he could end up contracting MRSA in his sinuses... In that case the doctor said they needed to think long and hard as to whether this was an important enough event to visit because he felt increased exposure was like playing russian roulette. My inlaws opted not to go visit.

IMO, call the CF clinic. See what precautions should be taken. I'd be a little (lot) edgy with the productive cough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />My inlaws had a similar situation a few years ago with a relative and they had us ask DS' doctor if it would be okay for them to visit. We were concerned with my FIL's sinus issues that he could end up contracting MRSA in his sinuses... In that case the doctor said they needed to think long and hard as to whether this was an important enough event to visit because he felt increased exposure was like playing russian roulette. My inlaws opted not to go visit.
<br />
<br />IMO, call the CF clinic. See what precautions should be taken. I'd be a little (lot) edgy with the productive cough.

LouLou

IMO it's worth a bit of a grandma hiatus to avoid contracting MRSA. My health has not been as stable since getting it when I went in the hospital to delivery my son almost 4 years ago. Another thing people might want to consider with children and the aging population who are bound to get MRSA is to meet them outside where germs are less prevelant and not as able to be spread. Talk to the doctor.

LouLou

IMO it's worth a bit of a grandma hiatus to avoid contracting MRSA. My health has not been as stable since getting it when I went in the hospital to delivery my son almost 4 years ago. Another thing people might want to consider with children and the aging population who are bound to get MRSA is to meet them outside where germs are less prevelant and not as able to be spread. Talk to the doctor.

LouLou

MDad

thank you all for your responses. we are going to stay away for a while until her treatment is complete and the next sputum tests have been carried out. MRSA is a bit problem in the community, moreso when it comes close to home.

MDad

thank you all for your responses. we are going to stay away for a while until her treatment is complete and the next sputum tests have been carried out. MRSA is a bit problem in the community, moreso when it comes close to home.

MDad