G-Tube Advantage II

rmotion

G-Tube Advantage II
We all are looking for a silver bullet for the treatment and cure for CF.
It seems we need only a slight improvement in CFTR or other channel to make a difference in our health.
Well we still need a good foundation for good health if we want to live longer and beat this disease.
Actually we need a better foundation than an average person. We are behind on the nutritional front
Any new therapy will only be as effective as you are healthy. Will this therapy be a silver bullet who knows but guess what no matter what it does we will still need mega nutrition to help us out. So load that gun with tomatoes and carrots and take aim at this beast.
It seems that younger kids with CF are healthier these days and that is due to an increase in nutritional awareness over the last 15 years. Is it possible to be healthier traditionally of course you just have to decide that is what you are going to do. It is good but there is so much more out there. For instance CF’s have a huge deficiency in anitoxidants. There is much research that Coenzyme Q-10 can be beneficial for those with CF but you don’t hear about it because it is not a drug or even listed as an essential nutrient so it is brushed aside for the next 10 years. There are countless examples for all sorts of nutrients and diseases. Need glasses well there are some great nutrients that our eyes need and more than likely we are not getting them. Look up bilberry, luetin, astaxathin and more.
Often times with CF we just do not want to deal with everything, it is just human nature. Guilty. But looking back the more I dealt with stuff the better I could manage. I look at what is the worse case scenario and back up from there. If you can handle that then you can move forward past some of your challenges. Take blood sugar and CFRD. It is well known that most CF adults develop CFRD. Well lets ackwnoledge that is a challenge the sooner we can look at it objectively the better we can manage it.
CFRD is simply you are not making enough insulin due to long term chronic inflammation and damage to the pancreas from CF. Well instead of hemming and hawing take the fear out try to understand it and figure out how nutritionally you can deal with it. Way before there is a clinical diagnosis of CFRD your body is dealing with inflammation, oxidative damage and insulin problems. How can you be proactive? Test your blood sugar every six months, find out if a long acting insulin can help you even if there is no official diagnosis of CFRD. Doing this helps your body use glucose that you can use to be healthy. A high blood sugar effects the lungs and infection big time. Not getting enough glucose utilized affects your brain one of the largest consumer of glucose in your body. I wish I understood this long time ago. I was afraid of it and did not one more thing to deal with. Nobody ever told me not to drink Coke. Not realizing that soda could be such a huge problem for anyone not just with CF. There are 16 tea spoons of sugar in a 12 oz can of Coke. That is more than a teaspoon per ounce. Your body has to process this and it is too much not to mention that soda is so acidic that also causes your body to have to work overtime to neutralize the acid. Tired, want the caffeine in the soda that is because you are dehydrated and deficient and often times coming off a sugar spike prompting you to want another. And the cycle continues. This simple act of taking soda out of your diet is a huge step helping your body. So with regards to a g-tube and blood sugar, well usually formulas are very high glycemic(meaning it will spike your blood sugar) mainly due to the fact it is just process corn syrup as a source for calories. In the G-tube you can bolus sweet potato that is low glycemic, full of nutrients, fiber and good balanced calories.

Look up any health book or diet book that promotes alternative healing. Like “prescriptions for nutritional healing”

Google: glycemic index, long acting insulin(Levamir), CFRD, paleo diet, diabetes, aspartame
Recently I had a tune up at the hospital and I notice what is on the food trays of some of the other patients. Junk, Coke, jello, mac and cheese – this is a problem. There is no way to get healthy eating from a vending machine.
I have been using the G-Tube for over 20 years and only the last few recently and just real recently as the G-Tube advantage I am seeing great results. The key is consistency and manageable processes.
Better health is within your reach.
I know it is struggle to eat most the time we do not want to or feel like it. Most feeding formulas are just crap food not live and healthy. In the past where would I be able to consume an whole avocado, ½ cup of cottage cheese, six egg whites, table spoon of olive oil, 1 Cup of sweet potato all washed down with a cup of coconut milk. If I told you to eat that for lunch you’d be like ah no thanks. Not possible well that was lunch and some leftover for later. Plus I’ll try to eat some leftovers or a sandwich. You have to take it up a notch and utilize the G-tube to really make an impact in your health.
Before I was a proponent of a G-tube for those who could not gain weight. Using it you will gain weight, but will you gain health? Hardly, no I am such a believer in the G-Tube that I recommend to someone with Cf that just wants to be healthier to get one. If you have one it is time to use it to your advantage.
4 years ago I was real sick and could not eat(I was in a coma for 2 weeks, my family had made funeral arrangements for me is how bad I was). I survived and slowly got back to health. Found out I had many food allergies and had to radically alter my diet. So going from a deathly 99 pounds to a healthy 150 is pretty life changing for me. I eat well and my stomach is in great shape. I marvel at how good some poops are and just wish I could show someone, I guess I keep it to myself and just chuckle they would have to take my word on it.
Give your body the nutrients it needs it will figure it out.
With CF we often focus on what is not working, well something is working somewhat or we would not be here. It is such a catch-22 situation. You are deficient in nutrients, your bowels and enzymes are poorly performing, you can not get enough nutrients to be at a healthy weight so you low energy, a higher calorie requirement due to lung problems and around and around it goes. Well lets say you do the bare minimum with regards to nutrition. You eat low quality foods and digest poorly you then are missing key nutrients that your body needs to build and repair and grow let alone gain weight. You can not to the bare minimum you have to do the maximum and a better and more complete job. Not fair I know it is just how it is.

Over supplementation is not the answer.
Years ago I read somewhere that Sylvester Stallone took up to 75 vitamins and supplements per day. Wow no wonder he is Rocky. I thought what does he know that others do not. Why doesn’t my doctor tell me to take 75 vitamins a day. Who’s right? Is Stallone healthier than my Pulmonologist, probably beat him up in the ring. Well both are wrong and both right. Stallone knows that he needs extra nutrients to train and be on top of his game, I suspect he works out and eats bananas and chicken breast and is generally healthy so he wins. The problem with over supplementation is that all those vitamins are synthetic and can actually tax and stress your body. So in that case the Doc is right. Most vitamins it is hard to overdose but best not to put that much strain on your liver and kidneys. So what is the right answer well simply balanced nutrients in the form of supplements and mega amounts of real whole food nutrients the way nature intended complete and intact with a digestive system that can break down the fats, carbs and proteins and extract the necessary nutrients it needs.

Helenlight

Wow. I love this train of thought. My daughter has CF and these are the kinds of things I'm thinking about & looking into. I'd love to follow your progress and things you are finding out. Do you have a blog? Thanks so much for this.