Gastrointestional

S

Swallowtail66

We stopped taking Zenpep and started Creon 2400. I got worse and worse and 6 Zenpep didn't work. My doc says different meds work for different people.

S

Swallowtail66

<BR>We stopped taking Zenpep and started Creon 2400. I got worse and worse and 6 Zenpep didn't work. My doc says different meds work for different people.

S

Swallowtail66

I've had the blood test for celiac twice and both times I am negative.  However, my sister is positive for celiac, but no CF. 

S

Swallowtail66

I've had the blood test for celiac twice and both times I am negative. However, my sister is positive for celiac, but no CF.

S

Swallowtail66

<BR>I've had the blood test for celiac twice and both times I am negative. However, my sister is positive for celiac, but no CF.

S

Swallowtail66

I am on Amitiza and it makes a big difference without the side effects that I had from Miralax and Lactalose. 

S

Swallowtail66

I am on Amitiza and it makes a big difference without the side effects that I had from Miralax and Lactalose.

S

Swallowtail66

<BR>I am on Amitiza and it makes a big difference without the side effects that I had from Miralax and Lactalose.

kristenj

<br>Well, I have a somewhat different approach than what my CF clinic has recommended to me.  I also have struggled with constipation for pretty much my entire life. They recommend Miralax etc.  I also see a naturopath, and he said that Miralax as well as other stool softening agents actually changes the "tone" in your digestive track.  And that is not good!  He has me on a fiber you can get at a nutritional store called "acacia" fiber.  It doesn't have the same effect as the other stool softeners.  I tried psyllium, and it had the opposite effect and actually gave me more problems so I don't recommend that. Also, I went gluten free, although that didn't actually decrease my constipation.  I did that first before trying the different types of fibers on the market. The other problem with us CFers is that our guts are constantly compromised from all of the antibiotics etc. that have been pumped through our systems over the years.  Our guts are in desparate need of healing.  My naturopath has me on a little cocktail of other things as well that actually helps to HEAL the lining of the intestines.  I am taking Ultrainflammx, Biogenesis Intestinal Repair Complex, as well as Pharmax HLC Intensive (intense probiotics).  The thing that is lame about these is that they are expensive (generally not covered by insurance), and they are a powder, so it's one more thing to do.  But it seems to be working for me. Also, I was on Azithromycin for YEARS 250mg daily, and quite frankly contribute some of my problems to that as well.  I have recently pulled myself off of that due to the mycobacterium risk.  I have noticed since then, I have had much less mucous in my stools, which to me would indicate a decrease in inflammation.  Of course, don't go pulling yourself off of things without talking to your doctor. I really try to go as "natural" as I can considering I have CF. It's not always possible, obviously, but I truly believe in a blend of naturopathic medicine paired with western medicine.  Usually I side with the naturopath, but sometimes I side with the CF clinic.  Seems they can never agree, and that can be frustrating at times. Oh, yes, and HYDRATION IS HUGE!  WE SHOULD BE DRINKING AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF H2O A DAY AND MORE IF YOU ARE EXERCISING.  I try my best, but sometimes I don't get enough water in and I pay for it!

kristenj

<br>Well, I have a somewhat different approach than what my CF clinic has recommended to me. I also have struggled with constipation for pretty much my entire life. They recommend Miralax etc. I also see a naturopath, and he said that Miralax as well as other stool softening agents actually changes the "tone" in your digestive track. And that is not good! He has me on a fiber you can get at a nutritional store called "acacia" fiber. It doesn't have the same effect as the other stool softeners. I tried psyllium, and it had the opposite effect and actually gave me more problems so I don't recommend that.Also, I went gluten free, although that didn't actually decrease my constipation. I did that first before trying the different types of fibers on the market.The other problem with us CFers is that our guts are constantly compromised from all of the antibiotics etc. that have been pumped through our systems over the years. Our guts are in desparate need of healing. My naturopath has me on a little cocktail of other things as well that actually helps to HEAL the lining of the intestines. I am taking Ultrainflammx, Biogenesis Intestinal Repair Complex, as well as Pharmax HLC Intensive (intense probiotics). The thing that is lame about these is that they are expensive (generally not covered by insurance), and they are a powder, so it's one more thing to do. But it seems to be working for me.Also, I was on Azithromycin for YEARS 250mg daily, and quite frankly contribute some of my problems to that as well. I have recently pulled myself off of that due to the mycobacterium risk. I have noticed since then, I have had much less mucous in my stools, which to me would indicate a decrease in inflammation. Of course, don't go pulling yourself off of things without talking to your doctor.I really try to go as "natural" as I can considering I have CF. It's not always possible, obviously, but I truly believe in a blend of naturopathic medicine paired with western medicine. Usually I side with the naturopath, but sometimes I side with the CF clinic. Seems they can never agree, and that can be frustrating at times.Oh, yes, and HYDRATION IS HUGE! WE SHOULD BE DRINKING AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF H2O A DAY AND MORE IF YOU ARE EXERCISING. I try my best, but sometimes I don't get enough water in and I pay for it!

kristenj

<p><br>Well, I have a somewhat different approach than what my CF clinic has recommended to me. I also have struggled with constipation for pretty much my entire life. They recommend Miralax etc. I also see a naturopath, and he said that Miralax as well as other stool softening agents actually changes the "tone" in your digestive track. And that is not good! He has me on a fiber you can get at a nutritional store called "acacia" fiber. It doesn't have the same effect as the other stool softeners. I tried psyllium, and it had the opposite effect and actually gave me more problems so I don't recommend that.<p><p>Also, I went gluten free, although that didn't actually decrease my constipation. I did that first before trying the different types of fibers on the market.<p><p>The other problem with us CFers is that our guts are constantly compromised from all of the antibiotics etc. that have been pumped through our systems over the years. Our guts are in desparate need of healing. My naturopath has me on a little cocktail of other things as well that actually helps to HEAL the lining of the intestines. I am taking Ultrainflammx, Biogenesis Intestinal Repair Complex, as well as Pharmax HLC Intensive (intense probiotics). The thing that is lame about these is that they are expensive (generally not covered by insurance), and they are a powder, so it's one more thing to do. But it seems to be working for me.<p><p>Also, I was on Azithromycin for YEARS 250mg daily, and quite frankly contribute some of my problems to that as well. I have recently pulled myself off of that due to the mycobacterium risk. I have noticed since then, I have had much less mucous in my stools, which to me would indicate a decrease in inflammation. Of course, don't go pulling yourself off of things without talking to your doctor.<p><p>I really try to go as "natural" as I can considering I have CF. It's not always possible, obviously, but I truly believe in a blend of naturopathic medicine paired with western medicine. Usually I side with the naturopath, but sometimes I side with the CF clinic. Seems they can never agree, and that can be frustrating at times.<p><p>Oh, yes, and HYDRATION IS HUGE! WE SHOULD BE DRINKING AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF H2O A DAY AND MORE IF YOU ARE EXERCISING. I try my best, but sometimes I don't get enough water in and I pay for it!