Help!, a 20 year old with CF

anonymous

I used to get on to a chat room for family of CF patients. Lost track of the web site. Hope I can get some feedback.My daughter has CF and she is 20 yrs. old. Everything going great for a while so I lost touch with the support group I had. She is healthy now, but pushing the limits on caring about her health. I do not l know what to do. She is not in school, but full time employed with her own medical insurance. My husband and I still pay all her medical bills and prescription bills. She has not taken the initiative to refill many of her meds even at my begging to do so. She also is staying out very late and sometimes not coming home at all, like last night. Yesterday she was late for work. I am torn and do not want to make her leave our home but cannot take the constant worry about her, what she is doing and if she loses her job....what then??? How do I handle this situation??? I am stressed out and she keeps saying she loves us and will come home and do better, but keeps doing the same thing. I know she is 20 but still living in my home. What can I do???? Please help!!!!!Debby

anonymous

Hi there, I must say that when I left the house to come to school, my health dropped considerably. I went from being hospitalized only once in eighteen years to needing a tune up twice a year. The early 20's are a CRTITCAL time for CF females. It is when most experiance a decline, because let's face it, growing up is hard enough on its own, but when you throw CF in, it gets haywire. I know your situation is different than mine was b/c your daughter is living in the house, and I'm sure there are a lot of issues in that she wants to be treated like an adult, and it's hard to let go. I'm 22 now, and still in school, and the transition to being fully responsible for your own care is hard. I would be more than happy to be a pen pal for your daughter, because it sounds like she needs some support, too.Debbie22 year old w/ cf in COdncox3@comcast.net

anonymous

I, too, have cf. I am now 26 years old. I went through a very rebellious time in my late teen early 20's. I so wanted to be like everyone else. I think there is a lot of give and take here. You have to let her fall to some extent. It is hard to do I am sure, but until this disease is real to her and she is okay with it she will not choose to take care of herself. Your support is still going to be very needed. Myy advice would be to set up guidlines as far as what behaviors you want for her while she is in your home. For example, be home by ... or call. Also, slowly introduce her to taking care of herself. Take it one month at a time or so. Warn her that in a year you will no longer be helping her with her prescriptions, treatments, appointments, etc. It took me a while to get into the groove myself mainly because it was scary for me. I enjoyed my mom taking care of me, but now I have it down very well. She may not do well at first, but again, she has to experience the down side to not taking her treatments.Hope this helps.Shannon

anonymous

I appreciate the responses. I have given her your e mail address in hopes that she will contact you for support. I continue to reach out to her, but with much frustration on her end. Hoping things improve. Thanks again.Debby in Ohio