HELP - Daughter can't breath after 2.5 minute competitive cheer routine-what to do?

Melissa75

Administrator
Hi, I'm going to post an update in my own thread, but I wanted to note here a few things I learned during my second stress test.

The max HR the cardiologist used during the stress test was 220-age. That means someone in their teens would have a max over 200, and 190s during testing, AT LEAST ON THE SURFACE, would be fine.

The test is stopped for dangerously high BP, dangerous arrhythmia, chest pain, dizziness or whatever the cardiologist deems unsafe. The cardiologist monitoring the test does not allow the patient to endanger him or herself.

He had me go for 8 minutes, during which I reached 94% of my MAX HR.
He said I am fine to exercise with intermittent HR levels PAST my MAX HR of 183. Specifically, I told him I've clocked myself at 186 bpm after some Zumba songs, and he said, that's fine but you won't be able to maintain it for long. (I agree. I can't and don't try.)

I am not the OP's daughter. So many factors come into play. But I felt I needed to share this info about cardiac stress tests and max heart rate during athletic efforts.

Printer

Melissa:

OP last posted on 1-12-13 that DD had a stress test and that she would report back with the results. Don't hold your breath for any further info.

Bill

CyrilCrodius

Maybe she needs to learn to control her breathing? It sounds like she might be hyperventilating.
If she is not... I don't want to rain on your parade but... she's at 50%. This can be expected depending on the severity of her affliction or infection. For example, my PFTs hover between 26% and 30%, a point where CFers usually need oxygen, but I don't need it yet. So it can go the other way too and her O2 levels may drop easily if her alveoli are particularly affected in an otherwise healthy lung.