hemoptysis and pregnancy

LouLou

I have dealt with hemoptysis since the age of 12. I feel blessed that I clot very fast and have never had a bleed over a few Tbsp.'s Usually it's streaked in the mucus or if pure blood only a tsp. or two. That being said, it can go on for days, weeks, months at a time which is frustrating to say the least.

During pregnancy, the frequency of my hemoptysis bouts have decreased - Yippee!

My question is do you deal with hemoptysis?
Did pregnancy agravate or decrease it?
Was there a certain trimester that was worse for you with bleeding?
How did hemoptysis change your birth/labor plan?
Did you end up experiencing any hemoptysis during labor or delivery?
Did hemoptysis have any effect on your decision or ability to breastfeed?
Any other thoughts on hemoptysis in regards to pregnancy?

LouLou

I have dealt with hemoptysis since the age of 12. I feel blessed that I clot very fast and have never had a bleed over a few Tbsp.'s Usually it's streaked in the mucus or if pure blood only a tsp. or two. That being said, it can go on for days, weeks, months at a time which is frustrating to say the least.

LouLou

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LouLou</b></i>

Any other thoughts on hemoptysis in regards to pregnancy?</end quote></div>

I dont believe my pregnancy had much influence on my hemoptysis one way or the other.

I did deliver by c section as a precaution. Docs were afraid to have me push since I did have an active bleed toward the end in my 8th month.

Hemoptysis had nothing to do with my not breast feeding. My epileptic meds & worry of extra weight loss were the deciding factors.

I worried a bit more when I had my bleed while pregnant because I didnt know how or if it would affect the baby in any way. It wasnt worse then any others I had before or after pregnancy.

JazzysMom

I dont believe my pregnancy had much influence on my hemoptysis one way or the other.

I did deliver by c section as a precaution. Docs were afraid to have me push since I did have an active bleed toward the end in my 8th month.

Hemoptysis had nothing to do with my not breast feeding. My epileptic meds & worry of extra weight loss were the deciding factors.

I worried a bit more when I had my bleed while pregnant because I didnt know how or if it would affect the baby in any way. It wasnt worse then any others I had before or after pregnancy.

JazzysMom

wanderlost

I haven't had it either - but, being the over zealous breastfeeding advocate I am becoming (lol), I wouldn't think it would affect bfing too much in anyway...as for the other things, I have no idea.
Hopefully you won't bled much at all and it won't have to be a factor during your pregnancy. *fingers xed*

wanderlost

I haven't had it either - but, being the over zealous breastfeeding advocate I am becoming (lol), I wouldn't think it would affect bfing too much in anyway...as for the other things, I have no idea.
Hopefully you won't bled much at all and it won't have to be a factor during your pregnancy. *fingers xed*

wanderlost

momtoReaghan

Hello, me again!
My hemopytsis almost completely went away during pregnancy. Having said that, my doctor has been doing a lot of research on endimetriosis. He thinks that I might have endimetrial tissue in my lungs. He thinks this b/c every time I cough up blood, I am on my period. If I start on a Monday, I am coughing up blood that night. He has started me on the depo shot so I wouldn't have a period and luckily, I have not coughed up any blood since I started. It is weird, I know. Not many cased reported in the world. But, pregnancy seems to slow hemoptysis down. Hope this was helpful.

momtoReaghan

Hello, me again!
My hemopytsis almost completely went away during pregnancy. Having said that, my doctor has been doing a lot of research on endimetriosis. He thinks that I might have endimetrial tissue in my lungs. He thinks this b/c every time I cough up blood, I am on my period. If I start on a Monday, I am coughing up blood that night. He has started me on the depo shot so I wouldn't have a period and luckily, I have not coughed up any blood since I started. It is weird, I know. Not many cased reported in the world. But, pregnancy seems to slow hemoptysis down. Hope this was helpful.

momtoReaghan

Hello, me again!

my65roses4me

I think this is very interesting that you have or had hemoptysis worse while you were on your period.
My hemoptysis is also worse while im on my period. I am now on the nuva ring and it has slowed down because of it.
I too want to get pregnant but fear that it will agrevate my hemoptysis. I am so happy to see you all talk about this. Its interesting to know that those of you that have the same problem, think that being pregnant helped or slowed it down.
I have asked my Dr about this and he doesn't seem to think that the birth control has slowed down my bleeding but I know its true. He seems to think that it has no relation. But we know our bodies dont we?!
I hope that more mommies respond to this!!
Thanks!!!!

my65roses4me

I think this is very interesting that you have or had hemoptysis worse while you were on your period.
My hemoptysis is also worse while im on my period. I am now on the nuva ring and it has slowed down because of it.
I too want to get pregnant but fear that it will agrevate my hemoptysis. I am so happy to see you all talk about this. Its interesting to know that those of you that have the same problem, think that being pregnant helped or slowed it down.
I have asked my Dr about this and he doesn't seem to think that the birth control has slowed down my bleeding but I know its true. He seems to think that it has no relation. But we know our bodies dont we?!
Thanks!!!!

my65roses4me

Thanks!!!!

LouLou

My hemoptysis has definitely decreased since being pregnant.
Due to my hemoptysis I have declined getting an epidural.
In order to birth with an epidural you have to be on your butt. Yes there are 'walking epidurals' but my hospital says that rarely does a woman have enough strength to bear weight. Positions such as being on all 4's, squatting are all not possible with an epidural. Hemoptysis for me is triggered on my back and although I would not be in a flat position with the epidural I don't want to take the risk.
I want to be able to get into any position I need to to keep my cf happy (relatively) and under control. Not to mention a position that is conducive to laboring.
This can only be achieved - in my situation - if I do not have an epidural.
I will meet with the anesthesialogist at 32 weeks to hear all of my 'pain management' options at which point it will be put in my chart what I want.

For me everything with pregnancy needs to be weighed for the risk/benefit ratio.
The only 'benefits' I have heard are: 1)to reduce pain 2)because 90% of 1st time moms do it (and it's what the hospital staff is most used to) 3)so I can concentrate on my breathing (how do they figure this?).
I think 2 & 3 are rediculous and not benefits at all - not to mention all of risk (increased chance of blood pressure dropping, increased risk of c-section, increased chance of hemoptysis (my specific positionally based triggered hemoptysis (not sure all hemoptysis sufferers have same situation), lack of control due to immobility, risk of lung sensation loss, and others).

Thanks Wanderlost for helping me in my fight for no epidural! The doctor told me it was ultimately my decision that they would arm me with my options at the anesthesiologist meeting and then what ever I decided from there was fine by them. That being said they are not totally convinced that the being on my butt on my back would trigger the hemoptysis but then again why would they. It's not like they've ever experienced a bleed and since not all cf patients have hemoptysis, it's not even a common thing for them to deal with.

LouLou

My hemoptysis has definitely decreased since being pregnant.
Due to my hemoptysis I have declined getting an epidural.
In order to birth with an epidural you have to be on your butt. Yes there are 'walking epidurals' but my hospital says that rarely does a woman have enough strength to bear weight. Positions such as being on all 4's, squatting are all not possible with an epidural. Hemoptysis for me is triggered on my back and although I would not be in a flat position with the epidural I don't want to take the risk.
I want to be able to get into any position I need to to keep my cf happy (relatively) and under control. Not to mention a position that is conducive to laboring.
This can only be achieved - in my situation - if I do not have an epidural.
I will meet with the anesthesialogist at 32 weeks to hear all of my 'pain management' options at which point it will be put in my chart what I want.

For me everything with pregnancy needs to be weighed for the risk/benefit ratio.
The only 'benefits' I have heard are: 1)to reduce pain 2)because 90% of 1st time moms do it (and it's what the hospital staff is most used to) 3)so I can concentrate on my breathing (how do they figure this?).
I think 2 & 3 are rediculous and not benefits at all - not to mention all of risk (increased chance of blood pressure dropping, increased risk of c-section, increased chance of hemoptysis (my specific positionally based triggered hemoptysis (not sure all hemoptysis sufferers have same situation), lack of control due to immobility, risk of lung sensation loss, and others).

Thanks Wanderlost for helping me in my fight for no epidural! The doctor told me it was ultimately my decision that they would arm me with my options at the anesthesiologist meeting and then what ever I decided from there was fine by them. That being said they are not totally convinced that the being on my butt on my back would trigger the hemoptysis but then again why would they. It's not like they've ever experienced a bleed and since not all cf patients have hemoptysis, it's not even a common thing for them to deal with.