How to transition into SSDI

theonlypirate

I'm 25 and recently my CF has gotten to the point where it's very difficult to keep up with my part time job (20 hours a week).  I used to work 30 hours a week so that I'd have hours "banked" for the time I'd take off during hospitalizations.  Now that I can barely keep up with the minimum I'm worried that I just can't keep doing it.  I don't have enough vacation time or sick days to put those towards 4+ hospitalizations a year.<div><br></div><div>After this year I'm almost certain that I'll qualify for SSDI.  I know that I qualify medically (I satisfy all 3 requirements for CF).  The only thing in question is whether I'll have enough work credits and when going to the SS office, I was under the impression that if I finish out this year I will.</div><div><br></div><div>I'm wondering how people transitioned into SSDI.  How did you know it was time to quit work?  I think I would keep puttering along forever if I knew I had to, but obviously that's no way to live if my FEV1 is frequently 40% or less; plus I'm resistent or allergic to all oral antibiotics except bactrim and all home IVs.</div><div><br></div><div>How did you cope with the fact that you wouldn't be doing much of anything for potentially many years?</div><div><br></div><div>How did you make ends meet during the application process?  Unfortunately, I can't live at home because my sister has cepacia and I don't have a healthy spouse or boyfriend to help me.  Also, once you were on SSDI, how did you survive on that money alone?  I suspect that I won't make any more than $500 a month because I've been working so little.  Is it possible to have a home with so little income?</div><div><br></div><div>Finally, what have you done to make your life feel meaningful in the absence of working?  I once loved my job.  I can't tell if the reason I no longer love it is because of my health or because it doesn't suit me anymore.  Either way I'm anxious about leaving because it has been such an amazing opportunity and I'm afraid of losing that future of more opportunity.</div><div><br></div><div>Is there any advice you would give me?  Any bumps in the road to expect?</div>

theonlypirate

I'm 25 and recently my CF has gotten to the point where it's very difficult to keep up with my part time job (20 hours a week). I used to work 30 hours a week so that I'd have hours "banked" for the time I'd take off during hospitalizations. Now that I can barely keep up with the minimum I'm worried that I just can't keep doing it. I don't have enough vacation time or sick days to put those towards 4+ hospitalizations a year.<br>After this year I'm almost certain that I'll qualify for SSDI. I know that I qualify medically (I satisfy all 3 requirements for CF). The only thing in question is whether I'll have enough work credits and when going to the SS office, I was under the impression that if I finish out this year I will.<br>I'm wondering how people transitioned into SSDI. How did you know it was time to quit work? I think I would keep puttering along forever if I knew I had to, but obviously that's no way to live if my FEV1 is frequently 40% or less; plus I'm resistent or allergic to all oral antibiotics except bactrim and all home IVs.<br>How did you cope with the fact that you wouldn't be doing much of anything for potentially many years?<br>How did you make ends meet during the application process? Unfortunately, I can't live at home because my sister has cepacia and I don't have a healthy spouse or boyfriend to help me. Also, once you were on SSDI, how did you survive on that money alone? I suspect that I won't make any more than $500 a month because I've been working so little. Is it possible to have a home with so little income?<br>Finally, what have you done to make your life feel meaningful in the absence of working? I once loved my job. I can't tell if the reason I no longer love it is because of my health or because it doesn't suit me anymore. Either way I'm anxious about leaving because it has been such an amazing opportunity and I'm afraid of losing that future of more opportunity.<br>Is there any advice you would give me? Any bumps in the road to expect?

theonlypirate

I'm 25 and recently my CF has gotten to the point where it's very difficult to keep up with my part time job (20 hours a week). I used to work 30 hours a week so that I'd have hours "banked" for the time I'd take off during hospitalizations. Now that I can barely keep up with the minimum I'm worried that I just can't keep doing it. I don't have enough vacation time or sick days to put those towards 4+ hospitalizations a year.<br>After this year I'm almost certain that I'll qualify for SSDI. I know that I qualify medically (I satisfy all 3 requirements for CF). The only thing in question is whether I'll have enough work credits and when going to the SS office, I was under the impression that if I finish out this year I will.<br>I'm wondering how people transitioned into SSDI. How did you know it was time to quit work? I think I would keep puttering along forever if I knew I had to, but obviously that's no way to live if my FEV1 is frequently 40% or less; plus I'm resistent or allergic to all oral antibiotics except bactrim and all home IVs.<br>How did you cope with the fact that you wouldn't be doing much of anything for potentially many years?<br>How did you make ends meet during the application process? Unfortunately, I can't live at home because my sister has cepacia and I don't have a healthy spouse or boyfriend to help me. Also, once you were on SSDI, how did you survive on that money alone? I suspect that I won't make any more than $500 a month because I've been working so little. Is it possible to have a home with so little income?<br>Finally, what have you done to make your life feel meaningful in the absence of working? I once loved my job. I can't tell if the reason I no longer love it is because of my health or because it doesn't suit me anymore. Either way I'm anxious about leaving because it has been such an amazing opportunity and I'm afraid of losing that future of more opportunity.<br>Is there any advice you would give me? Any bumps in the road to expect?

Hardak

First off if you haven't been collecting SSI already you should have been, that alone will give you 674 a month to live off of, should intently put you on food stamps depending on your rent as well. If your not on a section 8 due to youth Disabled/low in come. your going to have a rough time of it for the next few years depending on where your at. I'm putting up a link below that can get you a phone with 500 minuets a month free and like 1000 for about as cheep as your going to find it, depending on what your phone setup is already. You should also qualify for a low income power discount & disabled bus pass. Something else to look into and consider, depending on what exactly SSDI would award (SSA office can tell you this be-for you even apply) you may be better off having a go of things just on SSI vs's going for SSDI. I know of a few people that weren't able to work/earn enough to raise there SSDI income high enough to make it worth going for. In fact I know of a few that get less in there pocket a month then if they just had SSI alone. This is cause the added medical gained from SSDI they charge you a fee on then also hit you with deductibles, that I know right now in WA are staggeringly. I think they want 500 a month(1500 a quarter) off my sister in medical bills.

In any case try contacting your socal worker though your CF clinic, they may be able to help.

Keith

<A HREF="http://www.assurancewireless.com">http://www.assurancewireless.com</A>

Hardak

First off if you haven't been collecting SSI already you should have been, that alone will give you 674 a month to live off of, should intently put you on food stamps depending on your rent as well. If your not on a section 8 due to youth Disabled/low in come. your going to have a rough time of it for the next few years depending on where your at. I'm putting up a link below that can get you a phone with 500 minuets a month free and like 1000 for about as cheep as your going to find it, depending on what your phone setup is already. You should also qualify for a low income power discount & disabled bus pass. Something else to look into and consider, depending on what exactly SSDI would award (SSA office can tell you this be-for you even apply) you may be better off having a go of things just on SSI vs's going for SSDI. I know of a few people that weren't able to work/earn enough to raise there SSDI income high enough to make it worth going for. In fact I know of a few that get less in there pocket a month then if they just had SSI alone. This is cause the added medical gained from SSDI they charge you a fee on then also hit you with deductibles, that I know right now in WA are staggeringly. I think they want 500 a month(1500 a quarter) off my sister in medical bills.

In any case try contacting your socal worker though your CF clinic, they may be able to help.

Keith

Hardak

Keith

julie

Keith, wanna chat about your sisters medical bills? This does NOT sound right! I'm in WA as well

julie

Keith, wanna chat about your sisters medical bills? This does NOT sound right! I'm in WA as well

julie