Nebbing questions

anonymous345

I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to get the most out of my nebs. I do so many but for some reason, I don't feel like I'm getting the most out of them. Maybe it's because I'm not taking deep enough breaths, or that I'm doing them with the Vest (which I'd never done before I read about it here), or my sitting position isn't ideal for getting the medicine down deep. How do you guys do them to make sure you're getting the full benefits (sitting position, breathing rate, with or without vest, etc)? Thanks so much!

anonymous345

I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to get the most out of my nebs. I do so many but for some reason, I don't feel like I'm getting the most out of them. Maybe it's because I'm not taking deep enough breaths, or that I'm doing them with the Vest (which I'd never done before I read about it here), or my sitting position isn't ideal for getting the medicine down deep. How do you guys do them to make sure you're getting the full benefits (sitting position, breathing rate, with or without vest, etc)? Thanks so much!

Printer

I neb sitting and with the vest. For me, I inhale as deep as I can, much like PFT's. Then I hold my breath as long a I can. I sit in an "office" chair and watch TV.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Printer

I neb sitting and with the vest. For me, I inhale as deep as I can, much like PFT's. Then I hold my breath as long a I can. I sit in an "office" chair and watch TV.

Hope that helps.

Bill

imported_Momto2

Nebbulize WHILE walking as briskly/or running, on a treadmill. For me, this is tops. I got back about 15-20% of my lung function doing this every day, often twice a day, for 30-60 minutes. You dont have much of a choice but to focus on your breathing and it really seems to get the meds in more deeply.

imported_Momto2

Nebbulize WHILE walking as briskly/or running, on a treadmill. For me, this is tops. I got back about 15-20% of my lung function doing this every day, often twice a day, for 30-60 minutes. You dont have much of a choice but to focus on your breathing and it really seems to get the meds in more deeply.

Jennyvb17

To add to Bill's suggestions:

Take a deep breath, hold your breath at the top and huff of the way down, so that if you have a wheeze you can hear it.

Jennyvb17

To add to Bill's suggestions:

Take a deep breath, hold your breath at the top and huff of the way down, so that if you have a wheeze you can hear it.

Tisha

When learning about Autogenic Drainage (French technique, dreadfully hard to learn once an adult, but extremely effective if you get a really qualified trainer), they explained it was important to hold your breath for 3 seconds to help the air (and medication) get to the more blocked areas. They did a very simple test showing two plastic "lungs" one of which had a partially obstructed entrance: if you just breathe in and out, the partially blocked one doesn't even move. Waiting 3 seconds, the air gets to expand to fill in all space. Thus, medication also gets inside the more blocked (and thus more needy) lung, whichever of the two happens to be more blocked at the time.

Thanks for the treadmill tip, I hadn't thought about it! I don't have a treadmill at home, though. And with my lovely eFlow, nebs take just about 5 minutes so maybe it's not so necessary to combine.

Tisha

When learning about Autogenic Drainage (French technique, dreadfully hard to learn once an adult, but extremely effective if you get a really qualified trainer), they explained it was important to hold your breath for 3 seconds to help the air (and medication) get to the more blocked areas. They did a very simple test showing two plastic "lungs" one of which had a partially obstructed entrance: if you just breathe in and out, the partially blocked one doesn't even move. Waiting 3 seconds, the air gets to expand to fill in all space. Thus, medication also gets inside the more blocked (and thus more needy) lung, whichever of the two happens to be more blocked at the time.

Thanks for the treadmill tip, I hadn't thought about it! I don't have a treadmill at home, though. And with my lovely eFlow, nebs take just about 5 minutes so maybe it's not so necessary to combine.

R

rarab43

Tisha- I am trying to help my son be able to do his nebs quicker. He has a Pari Pro I think. He is doing HS and Tobi. Can those be done with an E flow? Thanks.

R

rarab43

Tisha- I am trying to help my son be able to do his nebs quicker. He has a Pari Pro I think. He is doing HS and Tobi. Can those be done with an E flow? Thanks.