Not taking enzymes?

SIcklyhatED

When I was a kid God forbide I missed my enzyme. I used to get those horrid stomach cramps for hours all the time and man were they brutal. As I got older I got better about taking my enzyme and whatnot, but I've always wodered something.

What would really happen if I didn't take them? For instance over the past couple of months I've been very forgetful about taking enzyme. I've missed entire meals.... and nothing! No stomach-ache or anything. I've tested this out a few times too and the same thing keeps happening. Heck, even tonight I should've taken about 9-10 enzyme but I dont had 4 so I though, "Eh, what the heck?" $20 bucks says I wont hurt.

So my question is, when you dont take enzyme what exactly happens? My CF is very very mild so do I still absorb some of the nutrients and calories and whatnot? None?

SIcklyhatED

When I was a kid God forbide I missed my enzyme. I used to get those horrid stomach cramps for hours all the time and man were they brutal. As I got older I got better about taking my enzyme and whatnot, but I've always wodered something.

What would really happen if I didn't take them? For instance over the past couple of months I've been very forgetful about taking enzyme. I've missed entire meals.... and nothing! No stomach-ache or anything. I've tested this out a few times too and the same thing keeps happening. Heck, even tonight I should've taken about 9-10 enzyme but I dont had 4 so I though, "Eh, what the heck?" $20 bucks says I wont hurt.

So my question is, when you dont take enzyme what exactly happens? My CF is very very mild so do I still absorb some of the nutrients and calories and whatnot? None?

SIcklyhatED

<br />
<br />What would really happen if I didn't take them? For instance over the past couple of months I've been very forgetful about taking enzyme. I've missed entire meals.... and nothing! No stomach-ache or anything. I've tested this out a few times too and the same thing keeps happening. Heck, even tonight I should've taken about 9-10 enzyme but I dont had 4 so I though, "Eh, what the heck?" $20 bucks says I wont hurt.
<br />
<br />So my question is, when you dont take enzyme what exactly happens? My CF is very very mild so do I still absorb some of the nutrients and calories and whatnot? None?

TheAmazingBD

Hello,

I grew up NOT TAKING ENZYMES from the age of 12, because I hated it and felt like I was missing out on LIFE. I suffered with tummy problems for years. When i finally caved at 24 and started to take the enzymes i ended up in the hospital having surgery for a blocked colon. After that, i stopped taking the enzymes.

Your bodies reaction will depend. I live a TRIAL AND ERROR lifestyle. My CF was always mild and I could get away with not doing the MD rules. i currently dont take enzymes, but I also watch what i eat. I have my own opinions on what is best for MY cf and I say:

No dairy no Hi fats means LESS or no enzymes. I eat avicados and flax oil and nuts. I am also vegetarian and enzymes are made from PIG. SO...thats a whole other situation.

If you have the desire to try and find out, then so be it. But understand your body may have consequences. If you don't understand what the exact process is for CF patinets in regards to absorption of FATS and FAT SOLUBLE Vitamins, I would do some research on the web. It's a pretty simple process that when not working properly has some sever results.

bless

TheAmazingBD

Hello,

I grew up NOT TAKING ENZYMES from the age of 12, because I hated it and felt like I was missing out on LIFE. I suffered with tummy problems for years. When i finally caved at 24 and started to take the enzymes i ended up in the hospital having surgery for a blocked colon. After that, i stopped taking the enzymes.

Your bodies reaction will depend. I live a TRIAL AND ERROR lifestyle. My CF was always mild and I could get away with not doing the MD rules. i currently dont take enzymes, but I also watch what i eat. I have my own opinions on what is best for MY cf and I say:

No dairy no Hi fats means LESS or no enzymes. I eat avicados and flax oil and nuts. I am also vegetarian and enzymes are made from PIG. SO...thats a whole other situation.

If you have the desire to try and find out, then so be it. But understand your body may have consequences. If you don't understand what the exact process is for CF patinets in regards to absorption of FATS and FAT SOLUBLE Vitamins, I would do some research on the web. It's a pretty simple process that when not working properly has some sever results.

bless

TheAmazingBD

Hello,
<br />
<br />I grew up NOT TAKING ENZYMES from the age of 12, because I hated it and felt like I was missing out on LIFE. I suffered with tummy problems for years. When i finally caved at 24 and started to take the enzymes i ended up in the hospital having surgery for a blocked colon. After that, i stopped taking the enzymes.
<br />
<br />Your bodies reaction will depend. I live a TRIAL AND ERROR lifestyle. My CF was always mild and I could get away with not doing the MD rules. i currently dont take enzymes, but I also watch what i eat. I have my own opinions on what is best for MY cf and I say:
<br />
<br />No dairy no Hi fats means LESS or no enzymes. I eat avicados and flax oil and nuts. I am also vegetarian and enzymes are made from PIG. SO...thats a whole other situation.
<br />
<br />If you have the desire to try and find out, then so be it. But understand your body may have consequences. If you don't understand what the exact process is for CF patinets in regards to absorption of FATS and FAT SOLUBLE Vitamins, I would do some research on the web. It's a pretty simple process that when not working properly has some sever results.
<br />
<br />bless

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much risk a bowel obstruction is you don't take your enzymes and are pancreatic insufficient. DS had to have surgery two years ago for an obstruction.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much risk a bowel obstruction is you don't take your enzymes and are pancreatic insufficient. DS had to have surgery two years ago for an obstruction.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

duke1234

I went through a very long phase of about 5 years from age 11-16 where I pretty much didn't take any enzymes with anything. just rebelling I guess. I really try to take everything now but I still forget enzymes more than I should. And I have never once felt Any pain. (Tmi alert) my stools are noticeably more oily when I forget but that isn't painful. The only negative is that my weight is a lot lower than I'd like.

duke1234

I went through a very long phase of about 5 years from age 11-16 where I pretty much didn't take any enzymes with anything. just rebelling I guess. I really try to take everything now but I still forget enzymes more than I should. And I have never once felt Any pain. (Tmi alert) my stools are noticeably more oily when I forget but that isn't painful. The only negative is that my weight is a lot lower than I'd like.

duke1234

imported_Momto2

I am completely pancreatic insufficient, dont take enzymes, still seem to absorb enough to function. Used to take them as a kid, then stopped in college. My digestion actually improved when I stopped. Each person is an individual and reacts differently I guess.

imported_Momto2

I am completely pancreatic insufficient, dont take enzymes, still seem to absorb enough to function. Used to take them as a kid, then stopped in college. My digestion actually improved when I stopped. Each person is an individual and reacts differently I guess.

imported_Momto2

T

tarheel

Just wanted to say-<div>even if you don't have stomach problems when you skip enzymes your toilet will probably thank you if you DO take them if you have malabsorption. You can test this- there are CFers who don't actually need enzymes. </div><div><br></div><div>But I also wanted to add...</div><div>Enzymes are not made from animals anymore. They were like, 20 or so years ago. Like insulin was.  The animal ones were much less shelf stable, and there is more of a guarantee that the artificial ones work the way they're supposed to.  </div>

T

tarheel

Just wanted to say-even if you don't have stomach problems when you skip enzymes your toilet will probably thank you if you DO take them if you have malabsorption. You can test this- there are CFers who don't actually need enzymes.<br>But I also wanted to add...Enzymes are not made from animals anymore. They were like, 20 or so years ago. Like insulin was. The animal ones were much less shelf stable, and there is more of aguaranteethat the artificial ones work the way they're supposed to.

T

tarheel

Just wanted to say-even if you don't have stomach problems when you skip enzymes your toilet will probably thank you if you DO take them if you have malabsorption. You can test this- there are CFers who don't actually need enzymes.<br>But I also wanted to add...Enzymes are not made from animals anymore. They were like, 20 or so years ago. Like insulin was. The animal ones were much less shelf stable, and there is more of aguaranteethat the artificial ones work the way they're supposed to.