O Negative Blood and Transplant

jspaceman

Hello,<div><br></div><div>I am soon to require a lung transplant and have just discovered that I have O negative blood.</div><div><br></div><div>Has anyone here with O negative been transplanted? If so, how long did you wait and where were you transplanted?</div><div><br></div><div>Is anyone with O negative blood currently waiting?</div><div><br></div><div>I have heard both that a rare blood type can shorten your time on the list because you get priority if some O negative lungs come up, however I was told by another doctor that the wait will likely be much longer?</div><div><br></div><div>Any info will be much appreciated. </div><div><br></div><div>x</div><div>Jason</div>

jspaceman

Hello,<br>I am soon to require a lung transplant and have just discovered that I have O negative blood.<br>Has anyone here with O negative been transplanted? If so, how long did you wait and where were you transplanted?<br>Is anyone with O negative blood currently waiting?<br>I have heard both that a rare blood type can shorten your time on the list because you get priority if some O negative lungs come up, however I was told by another doctor that the wait will likely be much longer?<br>Any info will be much appreciated.<br>xJason

jspaceman

Hello,<br>I am soon to require a lung transplant and have just discovered that I have O negative blood.<br>Has anyone here with O negative been transplanted? If so, how long did you wait and where were you transplanted?<br>Is anyone with O negative blood currently waiting?<br>I have heard both that a rare blood type can shorten your time on the list because you get priority if some O negative lungs come up, however I was told by another doctor that the wait will likely be much longer?<br>Any info will be much appreciated.<br>xJason

summer732

I'm not O neg but I do have a rare blood type which is B+. Due to my blood type, CMV status, and height, I was told I was going to have a pretty long wait. I received my transplant in New Orleans and was the first on the list down there for my blood type, height, etc. I ended up waiting five months and in the end received a pair of O neg lungs.

I think your wait could go either way as both of your doctors said. It could take long for the pair of O neg lungs to come up, but you might be the only one waiting for them.

Don't be discouraged. Stay positive!

summer732

I'm not O neg but I do have a rare blood type which is B+. Due to my blood type, CMV status, and height, I was told I was going to have a pretty long wait. I received my transplant in New Orleans and was the first on the list down there for my blood type, height, etc. I ended up waiting five months and in the end received a pair of O neg lungs.

I think your wait could go either way as both of your doctors said. It could take long for the pair of O neg lungs to come up, but you might be the only one waiting for them.

Don't be discouraged. Stay positive!

summer732

<br />
<br />I think your wait could go either way as both of your doctors said. It could take long for the pair of O neg lungs to come up, but you might be the only one waiting for them.
<br />
<br />Don't be discouraged. Stay positive!

coltsfan715

I personally have A+ so I can't speak to personal experience with the O-. I will say for a friend of mine locally. She was extremely sick when listed and was actually cross matched as a last resort- only had days to live. When I say extremely sick when listed I mean transported by ambulance to the center for evaluation, not wanting to scare you with that.

That being said, knowing that cross matching is an option/possibility I would think about how you feel about it and talk to your docs about their opinions on the issue. I only bring it up so you, the docs and your family know where you stand on the issue before it becomes an issue.

Either way we never really know. So much more than just blood type go into how long we wait and what lungs we end up getting it makes it hard to predict how long we will wait.

Good Luck
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I personally have A+ so I can't speak to personal experience with the O-. I will say for a friend of mine locally. She was extremely sick when listed and was actually cross matched as a last resort- only had days to live. When I say extremely sick when listed I mean transported by ambulance to the center for evaluation, not wanting to scare you with that.

That being said, knowing that cross matching is an option/possibility I would think about how you feel about it and talk to your docs about their opinions on the issue. I only bring it up so you, the docs and your family know where you stand on the issue before it becomes an issue.

Either way we never really know. So much more than just blood type go into how long we wait and what lungs we end up getting it makes it hard to predict how long we will wait.

Good Luck
Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />That being said, knowing that cross matching is an option/possibility I would think about how you feel about it and talk to your docs about their opinions on the issue. I only bring it up so you, the docs and your family know where you stand on the issue before it becomes an issue.
<br />
<br />Either way we never really know. So much more than just blood type go into how long we wait and what lungs we end up getting it makes it hard to predict how long we will wait.
<br />
<br />Good Luck
<br />Lindsey

JustAndrea

I have O negative blood and I just got my transplant about 6 weeks ago. I was pretty bad but got lucky because I was on the list for only 2 weeks. I know another person that was waiting for lungs and was also O negative and their wait was about 3 months. I got mine in Iowa at UIHC.

JustAndrea

I have O negative blood and I just got my transplant about 6 weeks ago. I was pretty bad but got lucky because I was on the list for only 2 weeks. I know another person that was waiting for lungs and was also O negative and their wait was about 3 months. I got mine in Iowa at UIHC.

JustAndrea

<BR>I have O negative blood and I just got my transplant about 6 weeks ago. I was pretty bad but got lucky because I was on the list for only 2 weeks. I know another person that was waiting for lungs and was also O negative and their wait was about 3 months. I got mine in Iowa at UIHC.