person with cf rasing a child

I have CF and diabetes and I am struggling to be healthy half the time and I get tired easily. So I am wondering how hard will it be in my condition to raise a child. How does a person like me toraise a child?

I have CF and diabetes and I am struggling to be healthy half the time and I get tired easily. So I am wondering how hard will it be in my condition to raise a child. How does a person like me toraise a child?

Scarlett81

Basically I ditto the thoughts I had put down on your other thread-most of what I said there applies here too.
But, in addition to that I was thinking that most people with cf tire easily and we all are fighting to stay healthy every day. But there are different degrees of it.
Do you have a good relationship with your cf docs? Do you trust them, can you really openly talk to them about your feelings? B/c they are your best allies with the pregnancy situation. Can you talk more openly and specifically with them about your feelings and fears on this?
Making the decison to have kids by birth or adoption requires an honest look at your life. You have to plan on , not if the day comes, but when the day you won't be able to be there for them, the days you'll be in the hosp or sick home on ivs. Do you have enough support in your life so that you'll have help? Will your kids have extended family members to talk to and be close to? Thats true for anyone with cf who is a parent regardless of their health status bc we all get sick from time to time.
But some are just too tired or sick to really be able to be parents. I dont' know you so I don't know if thats true for you.
Talk to other cf moms and ask them about their day to day lifestyle, when they fit their chest pt in each day, what they do when they are sick or in the hosp-and then honestly ask yourself if you could do the same or if you really couldn't handle that.
Also, talk with your docs about what you could do improve your health. Are there extra therapies you could be doing or could you improve your therapy technique? Could you eliminate more stress from your life? Are there nutritional/supplemental things you could be doing? Are you exercising to try to improve your health? Are you a compliant patient? Do you do all your therapies? I know when I first approached my doc about having kids-regardless of by birth or adoption-she said the only patients that ever succeed with being parents are the ones that she know are compliant-that live very scheduled, regimented lifestyles. So I had ALOT of changes to make!
And worst case scenario-if you really can't be a parent it doesn't mean that you as a woman is a failure. You can still embrace children, mentor them and make them a huge part of your life. Of course I understand the desire to raise a child, but I'm just saying that doesn't define your usefullness or success as an individual.

Scarlett81

Basically I ditto the thoughts I had put down on your other thread-most of what I said there applies here too.
But, in addition to that I was thinking that most people with cf tire easily and we all are fighting to stay healthy every day. But there are different degrees of it.
Do you have a good relationship with your cf docs? Do you trust them, can you really openly talk to them about your feelings? B/c they are your best allies with the pregnancy situation. Can you talk more openly and specifically with them about your feelings and fears on this?
Making the decison to have kids by birth or adoption requires an honest look at your life. You have to plan on , not if the day comes, but when the day you won't be able to be there for them, the days you'll be in the hosp or sick home on ivs. Do you have enough support in your life so that you'll have help? Will your kids have extended family members to talk to and be close to? Thats true for anyone with cf who is a parent regardless of their health status bc we all get sick from time to time.
But some are just too tired or sick to really be able to be parents. I dont' know you so I don't know if thats true for you.
Talk to other cf moms and ask them about their day to day lifestyle, when they fit their chest pt in each day, what they do when they are sick or in the hosp-and then honestly ask yourself if you could do the same or if you really couldn't handle that.
Also, talk with your docs about what you could do improve your health. Are there extra therapies you could be doing or could you improve your therapy technique? Could you eliminate more stress from your life? Are there nutritional/supplemental things you could be doing? Are you exercising to try to improve your health? Are you a compliant patient? Do you do all your therapies? I know when I first approached my doc about having kids-regardless of by birth or adoption-she said the only patients that ever succeed with being parents are the ones that she know are compliant-that live very scheduled, regimented lifestyles. So I had ALOT of changes to make!
And worst case scenario-if you really can't be a parent it doesn't mean that you as a woman is a failure. You can still embrace children, mentor them and make them a huge part of your life. Of course I understand the desire to raise a child, but I'm just saying that doesn't define your usefullness or success as an individual.

Scarlett81