PGD

LRL

My husband and I are starting the IVF process. He has CF (F508) and it was discovered that I have 5T We were told NOT to do PGD because there is no life threatening impact of the CF and 5T combo. Does anyone have any information on this?

LRL

My husband and I are starting the IVF process. He has CF (F508) and it was discovered that I have 5T We were told NOT to do PGD because there is no life threatening impact of the CF and 5T combo. Does anyone have any information on this?

LRL

mom2lillian

If you are going to do the IVF then I say do it anyway, even though genetic mutations have a play they are not the whole picture, there is surroundings/environment, possible modifier genes etc etc etc plus just having CF could limit career choices etc. Even if those two together normally arent too sick there are no guarantees.

That is just my 2 cents

mom2lillian

If you are going to do the IVF then I say do it anyway, even though genetic mutations have a play they are not the whole picture, there is surroundings/environment, possible modifier genes etc etc etc plus just having CF could limit career choices etc. Even if those two together normally arent too sick there are no guarantees.

That is just my 2 cents

mom2lillian

That is just my 2 cents

LRL

I have been told 5T is not a mutation but an alelle. As it is not a mutation, we are lost as to whether to go through PGD and havign to choose whether to keep an embryo. We know it could contribute to male infertility, possible sinus problems, but that's it I guess we are just unsure if not choosing an embryo based on this (i.e. sinus issues or possible vans deferens issues) is right if that is our only choice. I am hoping to clarify if anyone knows more information to help us in this difficult decision.

LRL

I have been told 5T is not a mutation but an alelle. As it is not a mutation, we are lost as to whether to go through PGD and havign to choose whether to keep an embryo. We know it could contribute to male infertility, possible sinus problems, but that's it I guess we are just unsure if not choosing an embryo based on this (i.e. sinus issues or possible vans deferens issues) is right if that is our only choice. I am hoping to clarify if anyone knows more information to help us in this difficult decision.

LRL

wanderlust

My husband has that exact combination - DF508 and the 5T. We just found out, and I'm not sure the exact classification of the 5T. However, the only CF-symptom that he has (well, that we know about!) is CBAVD. In other words, he's lacking his vas deferens, which makes pregnancy impossible if not for IVF.

You may consider doing PGD anyway - especially since you're already doing IVF. That way, you can guarantee that the embyro doesn't carry either mutation.

For us, our child will always be a carrier (since my husband is passing down one of his two mutations). One of the things that I've thought of is that while our child may not have CF, they may very well have a child themselves someday with it (if their spouse is unknowingly a CF-carrier). So spending that money now may circumvent a lot of heartache and pain later on, too.

Also, if you have a boy, you'll have a 1 in 4 chance that they'll be in my husband's situation. Dealing with infertility - let alone a disease like CF, no matter how severe - can be pretty emotionally grueling, too.

Will your insurance cover it? Or do you have a good clinic that charges less than the typical $4-5,000?

wanderlust

My husband has that exact combination - DF508 and the 5T. We just found out, and I'm not sure the exact classification of the 5T. However, the only CF-symptom that he has (well, that we know about!) is CBAVD. In other words, he's lacking his vas deferens, which makes pregnancy impossible if not for IVF.

You may consider doing PGD anyway - especially since you're already doing IVF. That way, you can guarantee that the embyro doesn't carry either mutation.

For us, our child will always be a carrier (since my husband is passing down one of his two mutations). One of the things that I've thought of is that while our child may not have CF, they may very well have a child themselves someday with it (if their spouse is unknowingly a CF-carrier). So spending that money now may circumvent a lot of heartache and pain later on, too.

Also, if you have a boy, you'll have a 1 in 4 chance that they'll be in my husband's situation. Dealing with infertility - let alone a disease like CF, no matter how severe - can be pretty emotionally grueling, too.

Will your insurance cover it? Or do you have a good clinic that charges less than the typical $4-5,000?

wanderlust