port troubles? not sure. sick this time every year.lol.

soooo.
i dont know but it seems like im sick EVERY year around this time. i find it kinda odd. i know its probably weather change and that kinda thing but yeah.
and im not as sick as i usually am. which is crazy to me.
im pretty much shocked.

anywhoo im having some trouble with my port.
it works great flushes nice and everything but im having problems with blood draw from it. no clue why. has anyone else had this happen to them?
if so do you know what it was?
im thinking it could be a blood clot in the tubing or whatever. but im not positive. they flushed with heparin 2xs yesterday too. once when they took out the old port needle and once when they put the new one in. and they did get blood from the new port needle site once it was accessed but i tried getting a blood return on it today and no such luck.:[

soooo.
i dont know but it seems like im sick EVERY year around this time. i find it kinda odd. i know its probably weather change and that kinda thing but yeah.
and im not as sick as i usually am. which is crazy to me.
im pretty much shocked.

anywhoo im having some trouble with my port.
it works great flushes nice and everything but im having problems with blood draw from it. no clue why. has anyone else had this happen to them?
if so do you know what it was?
im thinking it could be a blood clot in the tubing or whatever. but im not positive. they flushed with heparin 2xs yesterday too. once when they took out the old port needle and once when they put the new one in. and they did get blood from the new port needle site once it was accessed but i tried getting a blood return on it today and no such luck.:[

soooo.
<br />i dont know but it seems like im sick EVERY year around this time. i find it kinda odd. i know its probably weather change and that kinda thing but yeah.
<br />and im not as sick as i usually am. which is crazy to me.
<br />im pretty much shocked.
<br />
<br />anywhoo im having some trouble with my port.
<br />it works great flushes nice and everything but im having problems with blood draw from it. no clue why. has anyone else had this happen to them?
<br />if so do you know what it was?
<br />im thinking it could be a blood clot in the tubing or whatever. but im not positive. they flushed with heparin 2xs yesterday too. once when they took out the old port needle and once when they put the new one in. and they did get blood from the new port needle site once it was accessed but i tried getting a blood return on it today and no such luck.:[

mag6125

I don't always get blood return from my port but have no trouble flushing it or running meds thru it. Usually when its first accessed they don't get blood at all and then after a couple of doses of meds they'll get blood but recently they get blood less often. Don't know why but they don't seem too worried about it. Have you tried sitting/laying in different positions when they draw blood? That's what they have me do, try laying on one side or the other or sitting up instead of laying down.

mag6125

I don't always get blood return from my port but have no trouble flushing it or running meds thru it. Usually when its first accessed they don't get blood at all and then after a couple of doses of meds they'll get blood but recently they get blood less often. Don't know why but they don't seem too worried about it. Have you tried sitting/laying in different positions when they draw blood? That's what they have me do, try laying on one side or the other or sitting up instead of laying down.

mag6125

K

kgfrompa

My nurse just left she went to access the port the first time and no blood return, When i went to flushe it I told her to please take it out It was soooo painful.Also there was no blood return i never feel good when that happens which seems to happen alot lately. So she stick me again and well and behold I now have blood return and its not so painful I have no idea why It was soooo painful but pray that it never happens again. My nurse says as long as the port flushes it ok But i feel when i see the blood return it really Ok' Still no answert as to why the pain was so bad.Thanks for posting it helps me to know I am not the only one.

K

kgfrompa

My nurse just left she went to access the port the first time and no blood return, When i went to flushe it I told her to please take it out It was soooo painful.Also there was no blood return i never feel good when that happens which seems to happen alot lately. So she stick me again and well and behold I now have blood return and its not so painful I have no idea why It was soooo painful but pray that it never happens again. My nurse says as long as the port flushes it ok But i feel when i see the blood return it really Ok' Still no answert as to why the pain was so bad.Thanks for posting it helps me to know I am not the only one.

K

kgfrompa

mag6125

Usually when its that painful its because the needle isn't in the right place. I had an ER nurse try to access my port once and it hurt so bad I was in tears and I knew it wasn't in the right spot so I made him stop. Was finally admitted at my clinic's hospital and the floor nurses accessed it with no problem. So that's my rule of thumb if it hurts its not where its supposed to be.

mag6125

Usually when its that painful its because the needle isn't in the right place. I had an ER nurse try to access my port once and it hurt so bad I was in tears and I knew it wasn't in the right spot so I made him stop. Was finally admitted at my clinic's hospital and the floor nurses accessed it with no problem. So that's my rule of thumb if it hurts its not where its supposed to be.

mag6125

W

windex125

that has happened to me as well, I got a burning sensation, and with a little moving around of the needle it flused fine, though I have always gotten a blood return, I have also gotten black and blue after a flush, and I've been told that is a possibility? so I just ignore it, my port is in 9yrs now. I think it has shifted alittle more towards the surface from use, but until it breaks though my skin I am doing nothing about it, I hope you are feeling better. I love the month of Oct but it doesn't love me, I usually get sick 2x a year when the seasons change.
Pat 55/CF- MAC biggest bug

W

windex125

that has happened to me as well, I got a burning sensation, and with a little moving around of the needle it flused fine, though I have always gotten a blood return, I have also gotten black and blue after a flush, and I've been told that is a possibility? so I just ignore it, my port is in 9yrs now. I think it has shifted alittle more towards the surface from use, but until it breaks though my skin I am doing nothing about it, I hope you are feeling better. I love the month of Oct but it doesn't love me, I usually get sick 2x a year when the seasons change.
Pat 55/CF- MAC biggest bug

W

windex125

<br />Pat 55/CF- MAC biggest bug

theLostMiler

As far as being sick... school starts so everyone gets sick being around each other etc.... it doesnt help if you have a warm week, then a cold week etc until winter starts either.

As for the port not returning blood, if you arent having pain and it is still flushing fine, it is fine... you could potentially use the port unclogger stuff, but its probably just b/c your port is positional... like mine.

Even if im on ivs constantly, half the time mine wont return blood and then its the different positions, deep breaths, hold your breath, turn your head etc haha

You can have a clog of stuff in the port line so its not flushing in or out or you can have like a flapper on the end so it doesnt allow sucking out but lets stuff in or it can just be sticking to the wall of the vein when you go to pull blood. I know there are some other scenarios, but thats what I always think of.

Also, if it is hurting/burning when they are pushing fluids in, they are NOT in the port, they are just in the tissue! I havent ever experienced it but once, mine wasnt flushing and I asked if that meant it wasnt in the port, but my nurse said no, only if there was burning and then kinda puffyness around the port.

Thats what I know about ports haha...

theLostMiler

As far as being sick... school starts so everyone gets sick being around each other etc.... it doesnt help if you have a warm week, then a cold week etc until winter starts either.

As for the port not returning blood, if you arent having pain and it is still flushing fine, it is fine... you could potentially use the port unclogger stuff, but its probably just b/c your port is positional... like mine.

Even if im on ivs constantly, half the time mine wont return blood and then its the different positions, deep breaths, hold your breath, turn your head etc haha

You can have a clog of stuff in the port line so its not flushing in or out or you can have like a flapper on the end so it doesnt allow sucking out but lets stuff in or it can just be sticking to the wall of the vein when you go to pull blood. I know there are some other scenarios, but thats what I always think of.

Also, if it is hurting/burning when they are pushing fluids in, they are NOT in the port, they are just in the tissue! I havent ever experienced it but once, mine wasnt flushing and I asked if that meant it wasnt in the port, but my nurse said no, only if there was burning and then kinda puffyness around the port.

Thats what I know about ports haha...