Question for those who are pregnant- antibiotic

JazzysMom

I was on orals all thru my pregnancy & then did a 2 week clean out in the hospital before my c section. For the life of me I cant remember what I was on. I know most were not my normal & that they made sure it wouldnt penetrate the placents. Its been 9 years & the brain just cant hold all that info LOL. There are a lot of things they can work with unless you are resistant or allergic.

JazzysMom

I was on orals all thru my pregnancy & then did a 2 week clean out in the hospital before my c section. For the life of me I cant remember what I was on. I know most were not my normal & that they made sure it wouldnt penetrate the placents. Its been 9 years & the brain just cant hold all that info LOL. There are a lot of things they can work with unless you are resistant or allergic.

JazzysMom

LouLou

There are not many oral options that work for pseudo according to my doctor. This could be in relation to my specific case...although I'm not pan resistant and I only culture pseudo so one's case can't get much simpler. I recall maybe Kephlex (sp?) It was a 'relative' of Cipro that was 'safer' during pregnancy. There are a host of IV antibiotics.

I am on TOBI and Bactrim prophalactically. I don't believe Bactrim treats pseudo but it treats lots of other bugs and seems to keep me out of trouble in the dirty city. Bactrim is used often in the general population during 1st and 2nd trimester to treat urinary track infections (or maybe it was vaginal?).

Of course, every drug used during pregnancy carries risks. The drugs I use during pregnancy have been weighed against the potential benefit and the benefit weighed out on top.

If I have a full blown lung infection that's headed towards pneumonia of my upper right lobe during pregnancy I will likely not mess with any oral anti's and head straight for IV. The reason for this is the oral I usually use, Cipro, can't be used. So whatever they would give me would be new to me and we'd run the chance that it would have no effect and then I'd be put on IVs which I could be wrong about but there are some 'safe' options. So if there's a good chance I'd be on IV eventually, I'd rather save lung capacity and head towards proper treatment faster.

That's my 2 cents.

For the record, I hope to not go on on IVs during pregnancy but if it's better for my health and the baby I will.

Good luck boxer - take care and keep us posted.

LouLou

There are not many oral options that work for pseudo according to my doctor. This could be in relation to my specific case...although I'm not pan resistant and I only culture pseudo so one's case can't get much simpler. I recall maybe Kephlex (sp?) It was a 'relative' of Cipro that was 'safer' during pregnancy. There are a host of IV antibiotics.

I am on TOBI and Bactrim prophalactically. I don't believe Bactrim treats pseudo but it treats lots of other bugs and seems to keep me out of trouble in the dirty city. Bactrim is used often in the general population during 1st and 2nd trimester to treat urinary track infections (or maybe it was vaginal?).

Of course, every drug used during pregnancy carries risks. The drugs I use during pregnancy have been weighed against the potential benefit and the benefit weighed out on top.

If I have a full blown lung infection that's headed towards pneumonia of my upper right lobe during pregnancy I will likely not mess with any oral anti's and head straight for IV. The reason for this is the oral I usually use, Cipro, can't be used. So whatever they would give me would be new to me and we'd run the chance that it would have no effect and then I'd be put on IVs which I could be wrong about but there are some 'safe' options. So if there's a good chance I'd be on IV eventually, I'd rather save lung capacity and head towards proper treatment faster.

That's my 2 cents.

For the record, I hope to not go on on IVs during pregnancy but if it's better for my health and the baby I will.

LouLou

That's my 2 cents.

wanderlost

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html#Antibiotics
">http://www.kellymom.com/health...meds.html#Antibiotics
</a>
this list has the pregnancy and lactation warning for many antibiotics. I took zithromax, keflex and augmentin during my 2 pregnancies

wanderlost

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html#Antibiotics
</a>
this list has the pregnancy and lactation warning for many antibiotics. I took zithromax, keflex and augmentin during my 2 pregnancies

wanderlost

</a>

W

Wendy

I take Zithromax 3x a week now.

With my first pregnancy, I went into the hospital for a tune up around 23 weeks. I'm sorry I can't remember what I took, but I know my OB and CF doc discussed the meds before I was admitted.

I also have a friend without CF who is prenant now, too and she just finished a round of Zithromax for a bad sinus infection. She is 36 weeks.

If taking the meds keeps you healthy, then it is worth it for both you and the baby. I hope you feel better soon.

W

Wendy

With my first pregnancy, I went into the hospital for a tune up around 23 weeks. I'm sorry I can't remember what I took, but I know my OB and CF doc discussed the meds before I was admitted.

I also have a friend without CF who is prenant now, too and she just finished a round of Zithromax for a bad sinus infection. She is 36 weeks.

If taking the meds keeps you healthy, then it is worth it for both you and the baby. I hope you feel better soon.

W

Wendy

becca23

When I was pregnant I took all my medications, albuterol, serevent, tobi pulmozyme, creon 20 and flonase.

i did do IV's in 32 week and 39 the week. I continued with them while I breastfeed. I took Tobramycin and ceftazadime.

becca23

When I was pregnant I took all my medications, albuterol, serevent, tobi pulmozyme, creon 20 and flonase.

i did do IV's in 32 week and 39 the week. I continued with them while I breastfeed. I took Tobramycin and ceftazadime.

becca23