Questions about Port

rmklaus

Hello, There is a high chance I may have to get a Port before weeks end. I am very scared. I would like to hear about how others did through the placement of the port and also what is it like to live with your port? I am going to get mine in the chest area. Can you still do the vest with a port in the chest? Thank you in advance for helping me, Melissa 29 W/CF

Drea

Hi Melissa, Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but you can see what it might look like and ask questions at http://groups.msn.com/cysticfibrosis2chat if no one answers you here. The pic of what it might look like is listed in the pictures under "Manda's Babies:" on page 7 of the photo album list. Amanda, the person who started that group, put it up because there were so many people with concerns about getting ports. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.Andrea

rmklaus

Thank You Andrea the group you told me about helped me out a lot. It is a wonderful group and I really enjoy their chats that they have. That is where I learned so mucha nd all my questions have been answered. Thank you so much for sharing this information with me.Thank you, Melissa 29 W/CF

anonymous

Hi, I have had my port for two years and it is the best thing ever. My veins are shot so that was the best option for me and I am glad I did. I was freaked out at first but it's SO easy now. I had mine placed in my lower portion of my breast. After two years I had a leak happen and I had to have it replaced to the other breast cavity. They say if it happens again that I can have it placed back on the other side. It was a fluke to have it break inside but the new one is working Great! As far as the vest, I refused for the longest time because I am so sensitve in that area but I recently got my vest in April and they provided a cushion piece about 4" X 4" to place over the port and believe me it helps. I don't have the pressure that I did before when I first used the vest. Hope it helps, Renee

anonymous

I have a problem now with my port. I lost too much weight since they put it in that I don't have flesh between my skin and the port so my skin gets irritated very fast red and swollen so I need to change the site to the other side every 48 hours.