Remedies to reduce inflammation and volume of mucus

baseballfrank

I am open for any and all suggestions whether it is food, drink, or medicine. I am 51 and for the last 3 years, my health has really started to deteriorate. I have always been fairly healthy except for the annual or semi-annual exaserbation. In the last 3 years, my body has started producing an exoribatant amount of mucus which causes frequent battles with inflammation. I do 3 breathing treatments a day using combinations of albuterol, atrovent, and Dnase. I also use the vest. I also exercise daily (when I can) doing swimming, biking, and weight training.
Does anybody have any tips on how to reduce the production of mucus? Things to do to reduce it a little? Any food or drink or supplements to add or eliminate? For example, I have almost eliminated all dairy products. Anything else? thanks.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried nebbing hypertonic saline (HTS). Also, there are several individuals who take NAC orally... And a few who neb mucomyst. Don't have any personal experience with any of these, but know there've been discussions in the past regarding them.

Kimmiegirl

If it is at all plant allergy related get yourself some local honey, the bees pollinate the local plants & give you an immunity to those plants by eating about 1 tablespoon a day for about a month, in tea on food or plain. You will see a big difference in about a month & even bigger difference next season. But then again that is only for plant based allergies. Try also sucking on a lemon, it is an old choir trick to open your throat if it is feeling tight. Good you got rid of dairy - especially milk. :)

baseballfrank

I have and my lungs reacted very badly to hypertonic Saline. Same with Tobi. Cayston helps some. Never tried mucomyst. I have a little steam machine that helps a little.

Printer

HS works for me. I'm allergic to Toby, Pulmizime and now Cayston. I would suggest that you try a small dose of HS to start, maybe 4%.

Bill

rmotion

HS works for me. I'm allergic to Toby, Pulmizime and now Cayston. I would suggest that you try a small dose of HS to start, maybe 4%.

Bill

Besides revamping your diet the quickest way to stop the congestion is eliminate dairy from your diet. Milk and such is mucogenic.
The other thing is gluten.
I stuggle too I am gluten free and dairy free and it has made all the difference in my life
http://www.greenmedinfo.com

I also do the apple cider vinegar, lemon and saur kraut to help with it. Besides the umpteen things we have to inhale.
look up some of my other posts on nutrition and such.

kyeev

Besides revamping your diet the quickest way to stop the congestion is eliminate dairy from your diet. Milk and such is mucogenic.
The other thing is gluten.
I stuggle too I am gluten free and dairy free and it has made all the difference in my life
http://www.greenmedinfo.com

I also do the apple cider vinegar, lemon and saur kraut to help with it. Besides the umpteen things we have to inhale.
look up some of my other posts on nutrition and such.

Sorry RMotion, that Milk thing is a load of rubbish apparently! Its just propagated on the internet so much, everyone thinks its true.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2005 Dec;24(6 Suppl):547S-55S.
Milk consumption does not lead to mucus production or occurrence of asthma.
Wüthrich B, Schmid A, Walther B, Sieber R.
http://www.jacn.org/content/24/suppl_6/547S.long

Man, if I had to give up drinking milk, I dunno what I'd do...

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Kyeev,
This info is killer. Holistic diets have and can be a wonder for good health. On the flip side this lifestyle requires a zeal to live this way. The mucus making milk anechdote precedes the internet by centuries. Gluten can cause difficulty in the first year of a baby's life. It is a highly nutritious plant protein and life improved by living gluten free is worth trying if another anechdotal CFer's story seems sound. It can't hurt but it is far from easy to go dairy and gluten free. Something so hard often makes a zealot of you in the bargain.