Symptomatic Carriers

U

usedtobeinca

I'd heard bits and pieces about this - pretty interesting. My wife and I are carriers and I've always had sinus problems, had chronic bronchitis and didn't eat or gain weight well as a baby, and have dealt with intestinal issues (officially IBS C/D) for about a decade. Also interesting that sinus problems, asthma, unusually thick mucous and bowel problems run in my family. Same to a lesser degree on my wife's side. Huh.

At the same time, JazzysMom's comment is extremely valid. We need to be sure not to make unproven linkages here by creating order where there is none in seeing what we want to see (as is human nature). I'd also be ashamed to term my experiences as anything other than minor inconveniences in comparison to cf.

We didn't find out we were carriers until prenatal testing post-conception. I wouldn't be worried about passing the 'carrier' trait so much as doing nothing to avoid having a second child with cf. My wife and I are currently struggling with deciding how to proceed with our family plans as we've always seen ourselves with 2-3 children but do not want to roll the genetic dice now that we know we're both carriers (IVF or adoption are probably our choices).