Taking sudafed...is this bad? My CF symptoms basically go away

W

welshwitch

Every once in a while I take sudafed before bed for a few nights to help me sleep when my allergies are particularly bad. I notice that when I wake up (after an unusually restful night of sleep) my CF symptoms are basically gone. Morning cough not as bad, and I don't feel congested during the day.

I have really had allergies, and sinus problems, which I think is at the nexus of my Sudafed obsession. I had sinus surgery 2 years ago and it really helped with this, but I fear that my nasal polyps are BACK and I really don't want to get surgery again. I've tried nasal spray, nasal rinse, etc. Sudafed seems to be the only thing that really works!

Would it be bad for a CFer to take sudafed once a day? I'd love your thoughts.

Kimmiegirl

One of my daughters CF Dr.s says it's okay to give her Benadryl (for allergies) every once in a while, the other one says No never take it., they are afraid if she gets it too much it would dry her out & make it hard to cough up the mucus building in her lungs. I do give it to her when she cannot breath at night. (once in a great while) For your allergies, I recommend taking LOCAL honey. The bee's pollinate your local plants & flowers, when you take local honey it gives you a natural immunity to those local plant based allergies. You can put it in tea, food or take it straight. One teaspoon - or tablespoon every day for about a month will greatly reduce your symptoms. And the next allergy year you will notice a dramatic difference. It really works. You can get local honey at farmers markets or local farms. I hope this helps. But you should not take sudafed everyday unless okay'ed by your CF doctor. - Blessings.

W

welshwitch

Great idea! Yeah, I am basically just trying to reduce/eliminate the histamine reactions that seem to always be going on and thus exacerbate my CF symptoms.....antihistamines seem like a great shortcut, but non sustainable long term :) I will look into honey :)

Julie7

Welswitch, wondering if you mean sudafed or Benadryl? Sudafed is not an antihistamine, has nothing to do with histamine. It is a decongestant. Sometimes you will find both decongestant and an antihistamine in cough/cold products. Agree with OP and check with your doctor. If you continue taking sudafed, when you stop you might notice some rebound increases stuffiness hence why it is generally not recommended to take repeatedly. Hope that helps.