Travel To Japan/Hong Kong

lcdbot27

Thanks for the advice so far! I'm a fairly regular traveller within the US (lots of business trips to Orlando) so I'm well aware of the TSA rules and guidelines. I never check any of my medical supplies (although I do put an extra stash of enzymes and albuterol in my checked stuff) and always make sure to have all the correct documentation, just in case. I've never had any problems, besides one TSA dude giving me attitude about an unfrozen ice pack.

Traveling abroad is new to me, though. My biggest concern is obviously getting to Hong Kong or Japan and not having my nebulizer or vest function.

lcdbot27

Thanks for the advice so far! I'm a fairly regular traveller within the US (lots of business trips to Orlando) so I'm well aware of the TSA rules and guidelines. I never check any of my medical supplies (although I do put an extra stash of enzymes and albuterol in my checked stuff) and always make sure to have all the correct documentation, just in case. I've never had any problems, besides one TSA dude giving me attitude about an unfrozen ice pack.

Traveling abroad is new to me, though. My biggest concern is obviously getting to Hong Kong or Japan and not having my nebulizer or vest function.

lcdbot27

lcdbot27

lcdbot27

<br />
<br />Traveling abroad is new to me, though. My biggest concern is obviously getting to Hong Kong or Japan and not having my nebulizer or vest function.

Mockingbird

I was in China for a while, but I did not go to Hong Kong. One thing I noticed is the food is so oily over there that my system couldn't handle it. It didn't matter how many enzymes I took, my stools were always very oily.

As far as nebulizers go, I had a little Omron MicroAir that I got over ten years ago. if you're looking for a cheap alternative to the eFlow, I would reccomend the MicroAir. They sell for about $200 and run on AA batteries. Of course, it does not deliver medicine as effectively as the eFlow would, but I find it to be sufficient.

As for the vest, I might ask your clinic about autogenic drainage or Active cycle. That way, you can just leave the machine behind completely. The less stuff you have to carry, the better, in my opinion.

Also, this isn't CF related, but it's really not a good idea to give money to children. There are people who kidnap children and then use them to beg for money. I actually saw this several times while I was in China. These children were running around begging for money, and once they got anything they would run to this guy and give it to him. Children will come to you begging for money and it will break your heart, but you have to realize giving them money will only support that industry. There are even cases where the people will mutilate the children and teach them to cry or bang their head on the ground to increase sympathy. I saw one child like this in Kunming and another in Guangzhou (also known as Canton).

Mockingbird

I was in China for a while, but I did not go to Hong Kong. One thing I noticed is the food is so oily over there that my system couldn't handle it. It didn't matter how many enzymes I took, my stools were always very oily.

As far as nebulizers go, I had a little Omron MicroAir that I got over ten years ago. if you're looking for a cheap alternative to the eFlow, I would reccomend the MicroAir. They sell for about $200 and run on AA batteries. Of course, it does not deliver medicine as effectively as the eFlow would, but I find it to be sufficient.

As for the vest, I might ask your clinic about autogenic drainage or Active cycle. That way, you can just leave the machine behind completely. The less stuff you have to carry, the better, in my opinion.

Also, this isn't CF related, but it's really not a good idea to give money to children. There are people who kidnap children and then use them to beg for money. I actually saw this several times while I was in China. These children were running around begging for money, and once they got anything they would run to this guy and give it to him. Children will come to you begging for money and it will break your heart, but you have to realize giving them money will only support that industry. There are even cases where the people will mutilate the children and teach them to cry or bang their head on the ground to increase sympathy. I saw one child like this in Kunming and another in Guangzhou (also known as Canton).

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

<br />
<br />As far as nebulizers go, I had a little Omron MicroAir that I got over ten years ago. if you're looking for a cheap alternative to the eFlow, I would reccomend the MicroAir. They sell for about $200 and run on AA batteries. Of course, it does not deliver medicine as effectively as the eFlow would, but I find it to be sufficient.
<br />
<br />As for the vest, I might ask your clinic about autogenic drainage or Active cycle. That way, you can just leave the machine behind completely. The less stuff you have to carry, the better, in my opinion.
<br />
<br />Also, this isn't CF related, but it's really not a good idea to give money to children. There are people who kidnap children and then use them to beg for money. I actually saw this several times while I was in China. These children were running around begging for money, and once they got anything they would run to this guy and give it to him. Children will come to you begging for money and it will break your heart, but you have to realize giving them money will only support that industry. There are even cases where the people will mutilate the children and teach them to cry or bang their head on the ground to increase sympathy. I saw one child like this in Kunming and another in Guangzhou (also known as Canton).

65rosessamurai

Hi and welcome to the site.

The comments so far seem quite helpful. However, if you have to bring the AC operated equipment, Japan uses 100VAC at 50 and 60 Hz. So far, I've seen Tokyo and Osaka with 60 Hz, but some other areas of Japan use 100V at 50 Hz ratings. If you stay in the Osaka, Tokyo general area, you should be fine.
As for the voltage ratings, the AC operated machines would be operating at a near "brown-out" or Undervoltage level. The nebulizer might be more sluggish and the mist may not be as small, or it may take longer. I had seen someone mention that the Hill Rom, which would also be at an undervoltage rating, would just need some adjustments increased to compensate for the low voltage. However, if you already have the settings at max, then it will also feel less "effective" than if it were operating at the rated voltage.
I can only speak for Japan, I don't know what the ratings are for Hong Kong, though.
And, technically, a letter from your doctor would have to be put in Japanese, but if all else fails, look up the phone number to the Embassy in Tokyo (the one in Hong Kong would be a good idea, too!)
One extra point to make that no one else has mentioned, as a U.S. citizen, you have your rights while in your country, but other countries view freedom differently, and Japan is no exception. basically, be safe and follow the rules...and don't bring in any antihistimines, some of those drugs are not allowed to be brought into Japan, they may or may not allow it even for personal use..

Good luck and happy flying! P.S. drink lots of water while on the plane, its a long trip!

65rosessamurai

The comments so far seem quite helpful. However, if you have to bring the AC operated equipment, Japan uses 100VAC at 50 and 60 Hz. So far, I've seen Tokyo and Osaka with 60 Hz, but some other areas of Japan use 100V at 50 Hz ratings. If you stay in the Osaka, Tokyo general area, you should be fine.
As for the voltage ratings, the AC operated machines would be operating at a near "brown-out" or Undervoltage level. The nebulizer might be more sluggish and the mist may not be as small, or it may take longer. I had seen someone mention that the Hill Rom, which would also be at an undervoltage rating, would just need some adjustments increased to compensate for the low voltage. However, if you already have the settings at max, then it will also feel less "effective" than if it were operating at the rated voltage.
I can only speak for Japan, I don't know what the ratings are for Hong Kong, though.
And, technically, a letter from your doctor would have to be put in Japanese, but if all else fails, look up the phone number to the Embassy in Tokyo (the one in Hong Kong would be a good idea, too!)
One extra point to make that no one else has mentioned, as a U.S. citizen, you have your rights while in your country, but other countries view freedom differently, and Japan is no exception. basically, be safe and follow the rules...and don't bring in any antihistimines, some of those drugs are not allowed to be brought into Japan, they may or may not allow it even for personal use..

Good luck and happy flying! P.S. drink lots of water while on the plane, its a long trip!

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

<br />
<br />The comments so far seem quite helpful. However, if you have to bring the AC operated equipment, Japan uses 100VAC at 50 and 60 Hz. So far, I've seen Tokyo and Osaka with 60 Hz, but some other areas of Japan use 100V at 50 Hz ratings. If you stay in the Osaka, Tokyo general area, you should be fine.
<br />As for the voltage ratings, the AC operated machines would be operating at a near "brown-out" or Undervoltage level. The nebulizer might be more sluggish and the mist may not be as small, or it may take longer. I had seen someone mention that the Hill Rom, which would also be at an undervoltage rating, would just need some adjustments increased to compensate for the low voltage. However, if you already have the settings at max, then it will also feel less "effective" than if it were operating at the rated voltage.
<br />I can only speak for Japan, I don't know what the ratings are for Hong Kong, though.
<br />And, technically, a letter from your doctor would have to be put in Japanese, but if all else fails, look up the phone number to the Embassy in Tokyo (the one in Hong Kong would be a good idea, too!)
<br />One extra point to make that no one else has mentioned, as a U.S. citizen, you have your rights while in your country, but other countries view freedom differently, and Japan is no exception. basically, be safe and follow the rules...and don't bring in any antihistimines, some of those drugs are not allowed to be brought into Japan, they may or may not allow it even for personal use..
<br />
<br />Good luck and happy flying! P.S. drink lots of water while on the plane, its a long trip!

Nightwriter

Hey Wes,

Although I haven't been to those parts of the world, I have burned out nebulizers (and of course hairdryers) in both Italy and England. I didn't realize that most of the converters that you buy for ten bucks are for appliances that are below 100 watts. So first check to see what the wattage is for your vest and for whatever nebulizer you are planning on using.

Next, you may have to buy a stepup/step down transformer. The website that will have this info is Adaptelec.com. It has a step up/step down voltage transformer for Japan (1000 watt capacity) and you can call and ask them what you need for Hong Kong too.

I recently was in England and took my Pari Trek. To be on the safe side, I checked online and found a local English pharmacy that had nebulizers, in case mine broke while I was there. I would advise you to check out some pharmacies and prices -- the other time I had burned out my nebulizer in England, it cost me $500 because I didn't know where to go at the time.

I would also take along the Flutter (or something similar) in case the vest malfunctions.

I don't know what your accommodations are, but how are you going to clean your nebs? I'd also check ahead of time to see if there is a stove or microwave to boil your nebs. You can also buy baby bottle sterilizer bags for microwaving as one option.

Have a great time!

Nightwriter

Hey Wes,

Although I haven't been to those parts of the world, I have burned out nebulizers (and of course hairdryers) in both Italy and England. I didn't realize that most of the converters that you buy for ten bucks are for appliances that are below 100 watts. So first check to see what the wattage is for your vest and for whatever nebulizer you are planning on using.

Next, you may have to buy a stepup/step down transformer. The website that will have this info is Adaptelec.com. It has a step up/step down voltage transformer for Japan (1000 watt capacity) and you can call and ask them what you need for Hong Kong too.

I recently was in England and took my Pari Trek. To be on the safe side, I checked online and found a local English pharmacy that had nebulizers, in case mine broke while I was there. I would advise you to check out some pharmacies and prices -- the other time I had burned out my nebulizer in England, it cost me $500 because I didn't know where to go at the time.

I would also take along the Flutter (or something similar) in case the vest malfunctions.

I don't know what your accommodations are, but how are you going to clean your nebs? I'd also check ahead of time to see if there is a stove or microwave to boil your nebs. You can also buy baby bottle sterilizer bags for microwaving as one option.

Have a great time!

Nightwriter

Hey Wes,

Have a great time!

Nightwriter

Hey Wes,

Have a great time!

Nightwriter

Hey Wes,
<br />
<br />Although I haven't been to those parts of the world, I have burned out nebulizers (and of course hairdryers) in both Italy and England. I didn't realize that most of the converters that you buy for ten bucks are for appliances that are below 100 watts. So first check to see what the wattage is for your vest and for whatever nebulizer you are planning on using.
<br />
<br />Next, you may have to buy a stepup/step down transformer. The website that will have this info is Adaptelec.com. It has a step up/step down voltage transformer for Japan (1000 watt capacity) and you can call and ask them what you need for Hong Kong too.
<br />
<br />I recently was in England and took my Pari Trek. To be on the safe side, I checked online and found a local English pharmacy that had nebulizers, in case mine broke while I was there. I would advise you to check out some pharmacies and prices -- the other time I had burned out my nebulizer in England, it cost me $500 because I didn't know where to go at the time.
<br />
<br />I would also take along the Flutter (or something similar) in case the vest malfunctions.
<br />
<br />I don't know what your accommodations are, but how are you going to clean your nebs? I'd also check ahead of time to see if there is a stove or microwave to boil your nebs. You can also buy baby bottle sterilizer bags for microwaving as one option.
<br />
<br />Have a great time!
<br />
<br />