Wanting to have a baby

anonymous

DEAR CHRISTIAN,
I ADMIRE YOU AND YOUR THOUGHTS. YOU REALLY SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT. YOU ARE DEFINATELY CORRECT, THERE ARE MANY REASONS TO DECIDE TO HAVE A CHILD AND USUALLY WHEN A MOTHER(WHETHER CF OR NOT) DECIDES TO MAKE THAT DECISION, THEY HAVE WEIGHED ALL SIDES OF THE PICTURE. AND IT IS NOT ANY ONE DECISION TO MAKE YOU DECIDE. YOU COULD BREEZE THROUGH THE PREGNANCY AND WALK OUT INTO THE STREET AND BE HIT BY A CAR AND DIE.
I ALSO LOST MY FATHER TO AN ALCOHOLIC RELATED ACCIDENT AT 12 YRS. OLD.
HE FELL DOWN THE STEPS OF OUR HOUSE AND MY SISTER AND I COULD NOT RESUCITATE HIM. AFTER THAT MY MOTHER BECAME AN ALCOHOLIC AND MY SISTER AND I RAISED OURSELVES. YOU KNOW, CHRISTIAN WHAT DOESN'T DESTROY US MAKES US STRONG. IT JUST MAKES ME WANT TO FIGHT HARDER
FOR MY DAUGHTER. VALUES ARE INSTILLED IN YOUR CHILD FROM THE MINUTE THEY ARE BORN AND THE MEMORIES ARE SOMETHING NO ONE CAN TAKE AWAY.
I WOULD RATHER HAVE HAD LOVING CF PARENTS AND KNOW WHAT IT FELT LIKE TO BE SAFE AND LOVED THAN WHAT I HAD TO GO THROUGH. BUT I LEARN FROM IT AND I FORGIVE AND I AM A BETTER PERSON FROM IT.
GOD BLESS,
VICKY

anonymous

DEAR CHRISTIAN,
I ADMIRE YOU AND YOUR THOUGHTS. YOU REALLY SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT. YOU ARE DEFINATELY CORRECT, THERE ARE MANY REASONS TO DECIDE TO HAVE A CHILD AND USUALLY WHEN A MOTHER(WHETHER CF OR NOT) DECIDES TO MAKE THAT DECISION, THEY HAVE WEIGHED ALL SIDES OF THE PICTURE. AND IT IS NOT ANY ONE DECISION TO MAKE YOU DECIDE. YOU COULD BREEZE THROUGH THE PREGNANCY AND WALK OUT INTO THE STREET AND BE HIT BY A CAR AND DIE.
HE FELL DOWN THE STEPS OF OUR HOUSE AND MY SISTER AND I COULD NOT RESUCITATE HIM. AFTER THAT MY MOTHER BECAME AN ALCOHOLIC AND MY SISTER AND I RAISED OURSELVES. YOU KNOW, CHRISTIAN WHAT DOESN'T DESTROY US MAKES US STRONG. IT JUST MAKES ME WANT TO FIGHT HARDER
FOR MY DAUGHTER. VALUES ARE INSTILLED IN YOUR CHILD FROM THE MINUTE THEY ARE BORN AND THE MEMORIES ARE SOMETHING NO ONE CAN TAKE AWAY.
I WOULD RATHER HAVE HAD LOVING CF PARENTS AND KNOW WHAT IT FELT LIKE TO BE SAFE AND LOVED THAN WHAT I HAD TO GO THROUGH. BUT I LEARN FROM IT AND I FORGIVE AND I AM A BETTER PERSON FROM IT.
GOD BLESS,
VICKY

anonymous

DEAR CHRISTIAN,
GOD BLESS,
VICKY

anonymous

DEAR KRYSTINA,
MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU IN THIS DECISION. FOR ME, IT WAS THE HARDEST DECISION I EVER HAD TO MAKE. I TOOK EVERYTHING INTO CONSIDERATION.
FIRST OF ALL, MY HUSBAND WAS TESTED FOR A CARRIER, HE WAS NEGATIVE.
WE GOT PREGNANT VERY FAST WITHIN 2 WEEKS. I COMMUNICATED ALOT WITH MY DOCTOR. SHE WAS WONDERFUL, SHE NEVER TOLD ME NOT TO DO IT, SHE WAS JUST THERE TO SUPPORT ME. MY PFT'S AT THE TIME WERE ONLY ABOUT 50% BUT I FELT PRETTY GOOD HEALTHWISE. I FELT REALLY GOOD DURING THE PREGNANCY HAD ALOT OF ENERGY. I WAS OFF IV MEDICATION THE FIRST 4 MONTHS. I HAD TO DO ALOT OF HOME IV'S THE LAST TRIMESTER AND THE MEDICINE DID NOT HURT THE BABY AT ALL. I WAS 27 WHEN I HAD MY DAUGHTER.
ONE IMPORTANT FACTOR TO ME, WAS A GOOD SUPPORT SYSTEM IN PLACE. I WAS VERY TIRED AND RUN DOWN WHEN I CAME HOME, SO I MADE SURE I HAD SOMEONE TO FEED THE BABY SO YOU CAN EAT AND SLEEP. YOU WILL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO BOND WITH THE BABY WHEN YOUR HELP LEAVES. SO TAKE
ADVANTAGE OF THE HELP. I WON'T LIE TO YOU IT IS THE MOST DEMANDING THING I HAVE EVER DONE--HAVING CF AND A BABY BUT IT IS ALSO REWARDING.
TIMES WILL BE TOUGH AND YOU QUESTION YOUR DECISION, THAT IS WITH ANYTHING.
THE ONLY THING I CAN TELL YOU IS TO WEIGH ALL THE OPTIONS OF YOUR SITUATION AND MAKE A DECISION AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT. STAY VERY
POSITIVE AND GOD WILL BE WITH YOU.
GOD BLESS,
VICKY

anonymous

DEAR KRYSTINA,
MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU IN THIS DECISION. FOR ME, IT WAS THE HARDEST DECISION I EVER HAD TO MAKE. I TOOK EVERYTHING INTO CONSIDERATION.
WE GOT PREGNANT VERY FAST WITHIN 2 WEEKS. I COMMUNICATED ALOT WITH MY DOCTOR. SHE WAS WONDERFUL, SHE NEVER TOLD ME NOT TO DO IT, SHE WAS JUST THERE TO SUPPORT ME. MY PFT'S AT THE TIME WERE ONLY ABOUT 50% BUT I FELT PRETTY GOOD HEALTHWISE. I FELT REALLY GOOD DURING THE PREGNANCY HAD ALOT OF ENERGY. I WAS OFF IV MEDICATION THE FIRST 4 MONTHS. I HAD TO DO ALOT OF HOME IV'S THE LAST TRIMESTER AND THE MEDICINE DID NOT HURT THE BABY AT ALL. I WAS 27 WHEN I HAD MY DAUGHTER.
ONE IMPORTANT FACTOR TO ME, WAS A GOOD SUPPORT SYSTEM IN PLACE. I WAS VERY TIRED AND RUN DOWN WHEN I CAME HOME, SO I MADE SURE I HAD SOMEONE TO FEED THE BABY SO YOU CAN EAT AND SLEEP. YOU WILL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO BOND WITH THE BABY WHEN YOUR HELP LEAVES. SO TAKE
ADVANTAGE OF THE HELP. I WON'T LIE TO YOU IT IS THE MOST DEMANDING THING I HAVE EVER DONE--HAVING CF AND A BABY BUT IT IS ALSO REWARDING.
THE ONLY THING I CAN TELL YOU IS TO WEIGH ALL THE OPTIONS OF YOUR SITUATION AND MAKE A DECISION AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT. STAY VERY
GOD BLESS,
VICKY

anonymous

DEAR KRYSTINA,
GOD BLESS,
VICKY

my65roses4me

Hi Lisa,<br>
Thank you for your input. I wanted to hear from everyone not just
the good news. I need to hear both sides before my husband and I
make a decision. I hope your Kari does better soon. I would love to
see pictures of Kari and Mayah. If you dont mind sharing that with
us. Also I have a question for you. Is Kari married? Or is Mayah's
dad in the picture? I couldn't tell from your post. Thanks for
sharing your experience with me!

my65roses4me

Hi Lisa,<br>

my65roses4me

Hi Lisa,<br>

anonymous

Hi Vicky. I read your posting. I actually felt relieved by reading that. Many ppl say, don't have a baby, your body can't handle it. Yes for some it may be true, and for others we don't know. I know we need to know the truth, but sometimes it helps to hear stories of hope too. I hate reading all of the negative aspects of CF, and love when I come across stories of hope. I am 23 w/cf and trying to get pregnant, and keep thinking about will I be able to handle mother hood, and I do think about how my child will feel if I leave him/her behind, but I really want to have a baby and try not to think about those things, and if it's meant to be, then God will let it be. Even a women w/o CF can have a baby and then die in a car accident the next day, the next year or whatever. It can happen to anyone, so we can't just think bc we have cf, we are the only ones who will leave our child behind. It's part of life. It helps not to think about the negativity along with CF, and look for hope. I can see how we need the truth, even if it hurts, but hope also gives us strength to take care of ourselves better and keep fighting. I have struggled my whole life w/cf, and like you am very angry, but I look for positive stories, so thank you.

anonymous

Hi Vicky. I read your posting. I actually felt relieved by reading that. Many ppl say, don't have a baby, your body can't handle it. Yes for some it may be true, and for others we don't know. I know we need to know the truth, but sometimes it helps to hear stories of hope too. I hate reading all of the negative aspects of CF, and love when I come across stories of hope. I am 23 w/cf and trying to get pregnant, and keep thinking about will I be able to handle mother hood, and I do think about how my child will feel if I leave him/her behind, but I really want to have a baby and try not to think about those things, and if it's meant to be, then God will let it be. Even a women w/o CF can have a baby and then die in a car accident the next day, the next year or whatever. It can happen to anyone, so we can't just think bc we have cf, we are the only ones who will leave our child behind. It's part of life. It helps not to think about the negativity along with CF, and look for hope. I can see how we need the truth, even if it hurts, but hope also gives us strength to take care of ourselves better and keep fighting. I have struggled my whole life w/cf, and like you am very angry, but I look for positive stories, so thank you.

anonymous

anonymous

Khristina, I'm 25 with CF and 3 months pregnant. My PFT's range btw. 55-60. So far, the only effect from the CF that I've noticed is that from time to time I will become short of breath. Which is quickly "cured" by an aerosal. Other than that, I dont notice anything different with the CF. My only advice that I can give you is that if you want to have a child, get some genetic testing done first on your husband. My doctors tested my husband to see if was a CF carrier, which came back negative, so we decided to go ahead and try to have a baby. If he would have been positive then we would have had a 1 in 4 chance of having a baby with CF. I would just talk everything over with your CF doctor, becaue each case is different.
Funny story though, my CF doctor said that it normally takes 7 months to a year for a CF woman to get pregnant, it took me a month, haha! My doctor was really surprised when a month after he gave us the genetic test results; I call to tell him that I was pregnant!! LOL.
Ultimately, the decision is between you and your husband. I wish you the best of luck, and if you ever want to talk my sn on AIM is iluvsnackpaks. Good Luck!!!!

anonymous

Khristina, I'm 25 with CF and 3 months pregnant. My PFT's range btw. 55-60. So far, the only effect from the CF that I've noticed is that from time to time I will become short of breath. Which is quickly "cured" by an aerosal. Other than that, I dont notice anything different with the CF. My only advice that I can give you is that if you want to have a child, get some genetic testing done first on your husband. My doctors tested my husband to see if was a CF carrier, which came back negative, so we decided to go ahead and try to have a baby. If he would have been positive then we would have had a 1 in 4 chance of having a baby with CF. I would just talk everything over with your CF doctor, becaue each case is different.
Funny story though, my CF doctor said that it normally takes 7 months to a year for a CF woman to get pregnant, it took me a month, haha! My doctor was really surprised when a month after he gave us the genetic test results; I call to tell him that I was pregnant!! LOL.
Ultimately, the decision is between you and your husband. I wish you the best of luck, and if you ever want to talk my sn on AIM is iluvsnackpaks. Good Luck!!!!

anonymous

chipper28

Minor clarification. If you have CF and your spouse is a carrier, there is a 50% chance that they will have CF. The other 50% of the time, they will be a carrier.

So, it's actually a 1 in 2 chance of having a baby with CF if you have CF and your spouse is a carrier.

If your spouse is not a carrier, there is a 0% chance of CF and a 100% chance of having a carrier. However, these statistics are only as good as how confident you are that your spouse is not a carrier. So, if you only check for 25 mutations, there is more chance that they will be a carrier without you knowing it than if you have them checked with a more complete test like the Ambry Amplified.

chipper28

Minor clarification. If you have CF and your spouse is a carrier, there is a 50% chance that they will have CF. The other 50% of the time, they will be a carrier.

So, it's actually a 1 in 2 chance of having a baby with CF if you have CF and your spouse is a carrier.

If your spouse is not a carrier, there is a 0% chance of CF and a 100% chance of having a carrier. However, these statistics are only as good as how confident you are that your spouse is not a carrier. So, if you only check for 25 mutations, there is more chance that they will be a carrier without you knowing it than if you have them checked with a more complete test like the Ambry Amplified.

chipper28

anonymous

I thought it was the same chances as 2 carriers, since if you have CF you are still a carrier. The stats I know are 25% carrier, 25% having CF, and 50% of being neither. Or at least thats what I was told. I believe they check for 87 mutations now because thats how many they have found (not exactly sure about this fact, again its just what I was told).

anonymous

I thought it was the same chances as 2 carriers, since if you have CF you are still a carrier. The stats I know are 25% carrier, 25% having CF, and 50% of being neither. Or at least thats what I was told. I believe they check for 87 mutations now because thats how many they have found (not exactly sure about this fact, again its just what I was told).