When did orals stop working for you

ymikhale

Hi all,
I have been wondering, at what age the orals stop working. I know it varies for everyone, but just to get an idea. Is it usually b/c of developped resistance or they just fail to work b/c of thick mucus or something?
Thanks for your input.

valshingle

For my DD it just occurred at age 21 when her bugs (SA and PA) became resistant to the oral antibiotics. However, she does have chronic sinus issues and does occasionally use oral antibiotics for that.

keefer11

When I was around 20/21 as well. I had developed bad side effects to Cipro and eventually resistance to it. I also found it wasn't really helpful to take anymore not sure if it was because of the thick mucus or what, but if I did take it it wasn't doing anything for me.
So, I was off and on IV's for my Multi-resistant pseudomonas from when I was 21 until I was 27/28ish. Then I got MRSA & it has over time pretty much taken over and overgrown my pseudomonas and so the only thing that is really bothering my lungs is the MRSA. My MRSA is sensitive to 3 different types of orals, so here I am at 30 able to take orals again.

kosdancer

Technically I'm still sensitive to Levaquin and Cipro, but they give me seizures, so I haven't been able to use orals since age 12. (I'm 19 now.)
Since then I've had several rounds of IVs, but I started working out a lot about a year ago and if I can just make it through the spring, I'll make it a year without IVs!

CyrilCrodius

When I was around 20/21 as well. I had developed bad side effects to Cipro and eventually resistance to it. I also found it wasn't really helpful to take anymore not sure if it was because of the thick mucus or what, but if I did take it it wasn't doing anything for me.
So, I was off and on IV's for my Multi-resistant pseudomonas from when I was 21 until I was 27/28ish. Then I got MRSA & it has over time pretty much taken over and overgrown my pseudomonas and so the only thing that is really bothering my lungs is the MRSA. My MRSA is sensitive to 3 different types of orals, so here I am at 30 able to take orals again.

This is very interesting. Would you say that having MSRA compete with your PA made controlling your general lung infection easier?

Technically I'm still sensitive to Levaquin and Cipro, but they give me seizures, so I haven't been able to use orals since age 12. (I'm 19 now.)
Since then I've had several rounds of IVs, but I started working out a lot about a year ago and if I can just make it through the spring, I'll make it a year without IVs!

Good luck!