Which High School Level Classes should my daughter take?

J

jayotto

My daughter will be starting High School, and right now I am trying to figure out what to do about her classes.

They have her signed up for K-Level classes (Honors) for English, World Geography, Geometry and Biology. Should I keep her in this level or should I have them drop her down to On-Level?

She has been hospitalized the last few years about 2 times per year. I do try and have her admitted during Summer and Christmas time to minimize the absences. Of course she usually has to miss days due to doctor appointments, stomach pains, etc.

She is smart, but I certainly do not want to put any added pressure on her. Any advice would be appreciated!

jshet

Hi, I was wondering, will she be receiving college credits for these classes? Or are they only honors classes. If they are only honors classes without the college credits, I would suggest dropping down to on level classes. Chances are if she goes to college and did not get te college credits in high school, she will have to re take some of them. If she is going to get college credits by taking these classes now, maybe let her take just one to get her feet wet with out being too overwhelmed. My daughter took honors classes in high school that did give her college credits and she about killed herself taking 3 or 4 of these classes each year. This was her choice I think she wished she had not taken so many. Plus she is not my child with cf, my son is. She did do well in her classes, but she also only missed one day of school her entire high school career. The work load was quite heavy for her and she maintained a 3.9 throughout high school.

Maybe your daughter could handle all of the stress and hard work without any problems but if she is considering college, I would talk with her guidance consuler first and explain her history. They may be able to give you better advise. The bad thing is that you usually only have a week to drop a class and you don't get much information the first week to get a good idea of what will be expected. Good luck, you are her mom and you will know what is right for your child.

nmw0615

I took all honors classes, as well as 5 Advanced Placement classes during my 4 years of high school. I was hospitalized 4 times a year starting my sophomore year, with 3 of those 4 coming during the school year. I say, if she wants to take them, let her. But starting working with her teachers right away. I don't think I could have managed it if I didn't have my teachers' support during my hospitalizations. Whether it was letting me get my work done while in he hospital, it giving me an extra day or two to get it done, they were amazing. I think the fact that I was up front with them from the beginning, and I worked extremely hard when I was in class, gave my teachers and I the respectful relationship I needed for all those classes.