stockpiling for civil unrest?

musclemania70

is anyone actively stockpiling medications in preparations for civil unrest that media has been reporting will occur?

have you prepared by purchasing generators, canned goods, supplies?

i am wondering if this is truly something that mainstream America is preparing for? Do you believe it when the media says there will be a major financial crisis in the near future?

Melissa75

Administrator
What media are you watching/reading? My sources (The NY Times, NPR and Bloomberg News Radio) would maaaaybe have me thinking to stockpile some corn syrup and soybeans (drought), but that's about it...and I'm mostly kidding since I won't be making my own breakfast cereal. :)

To answer your question, though, I used to have a bunch of antibiotics in my basement where it's cool. Boring story for how I got them, but after they were several years expired, I chucked them and haven't restocked. I WOULD like some backup abs in the basement again.

My basement always has canned goods, rice, dry foods--more for when I miss some grocery shopping than to prep for disaster, but I keep it up nonetheless.
Clean containers to hold water was KEY for my family during hurricane Irene. We pre-filled tons of them before the storm and were comfortable, able to drink, flush toilets, wash etc. for the week following when the water supply was non-existent and/or contaminated.
During the freak snowstorm in the NE last fall, which brought down trees and cause massive power outages, we lit fires in our fireplace to stay warm...and I got sicker than ever. I will not be seeking warmth through fire ever again...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We DO have a generator, but that's only in case we lose power during storms or "spring melt" (flooding) so we can keep the sump pump in our basement running and use it for vesting/nebs.

The year the flu vaccine was found to be fairly ineffective, we had tamiflu on hand just in case.

Otherwise, we do have a freezer full of meat because I can't stand storebought burger, so we buy a split quarter of beef.

concernedmom

Kind of, sort of? Not so much for civil unrest as for the possibility that there could/will be (1) civil unrest, (2) financial collapse, (3) natural disaster, (4) loss of job/income, (5) flu or other public health epidemic, (6) (insert other possible scenario.)

What we are doing: stocking canned/boxed/jarred foods, bottled water, cat & turtle food (have to take care of our babies!), paper products, cleaning supplies, personal hygiene supplies, batteries, and otc medications and medical supplies. Also, stocking ahead, to the degree possible, on essential rx medications. Finally, we try to keep several hundred $$ cash on hand in the house and have at least 1/2 tank of gas in all 3 vehicles at all times... No stockpiling guns/weapons since those are things I don't really want in my home and would not be comfortable using except in extreme circumstances. We are also not going crazy on preparations. Just trying to have enough on hand to live for at least a month without going grocery shopping.

My in-laws live on a farm in a rural area about 50 miles from here (city.) In the event of violence and/or long-term complications, our plan is to load up the car(s) with our food, kids, & pets and drive to their farm. The in-laws do have guns and are comfortable using them plus they're in a very rural area so we'd probably be ok there for a time assuming we could make it there safely.

Forgot to add, they have cattle (for beef not milk), a very large garden, stockpiled seed & wood-burning stoves.

musclemania70

Ha! Funny that you say that because we don't even have TV! None! I READ a lot. Internet AND books. Of course I DO NOT believe everything I read. However, since I do follow the news and financial situations worldwide, I HAVE noticed this trend towards economic decline, increased fear, stories of OUR gov't agencies 'preparing' for unrest. That's why I asked if anyone else had similar thoughts.

I do plan to start stockpiling water, foods, and supplies. We have guns and we plan to use them if the need arises.

mattmcegg

Great idea, and yes I do. I always order my meds immediately after the 30 day cycle, regardless of how much I have left. I keep the extra in my basement. The next year could be very interesting, and anyone who thinks youre nuts for being prepared are the ones watching too much TV.

baseballfrank

is anyone actively stockpiling medications in preparations for civil unrest that media has been reporting will occur?

have you prepared by purchasing generators, canned goods, supplies?

i am wondering if this is truly something that mainstream America is preparing for? Do you believe it when the media says there will be a major financial crisis in the near future?

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS???? Having a very serious possibly fatal disease is not enough for you to worry about? You are fearful of something created by a fear mongering media? I don't know, but dealing with CF takes up most of the space in my brain for worrying. Focus on what you can control and whatever you are reading, STOP. Dealing with this disease does not need added stress especially stress that is not real!!!

Lena Bean

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS???? Having a very serious possibly fatal disease is not enough for you to worry about? You are fearful of something created by a fear mongering media? I don't know, but dealing with CF takes up most of the space in my brain for worrying. Focus on what you can control and whatever you are reading, STOP. Dealing with this disease does not need added stress especially stress that is not real!!!

Have you not seen the state of the world lately? Just because we have a chronic illness doesn't mean we aren't still members of society and that the ramifications of whatever happens in our respective countries doesn't effect us! We should always be prepared.

I usually have a couple month stock pile (generally that is for if I lose my health insurance or can't afford my medications-which has happened more frequently than I'd like to admit). I also know where many mail order and private pharmacies are within a 100 mile area of me are (just in case the world really does "end"). I know it seems outlandish that something so horrible could happen but a couple hundred years ago it was completely possible. Just because we have more technology now doesn't mean we are any more intelligent or civilized. I say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My only real problem is I don't have a plan in place for my port if something goes wrong, which has been weighing very heavily on my mind recently.

65rosessamurai

The media caused an unnecessary shortage of paper many years back in Japan cause they started a rumor about a paper shortage...so do your research and keep things within their "fresh dates".

musclemania70

That's where its tricky. There are some who completely understand where I'm coming from. There are others who just think its crazy.
Follow the stories. Its not so crazy.

H

hammerpocket

My concern is that it's the people who are worried about something happening who are actually going to cause something to happen. I'm also curious about what, specifically, you think is coming.

musclemania70

Major financial/economic crisis which then taken to the extreme causes civil unrest.
Why have US gov't agencies been stockpiling bullets in the last 2 years?

hmw

It's always wise to exercise common sense and maintain a certain level of preparedness for emergency. It's kind of like keeping jumper cables and basic tools in your car- you hope you don't need them, but when you do you are awfully grateful to have them.

Just over a year ago we lost power for nearly a week due to Irene, then less than 2 months later for just shy of a week when that bizarre snowstorm came through. No power for us doesn't just mean no electricity, it also means no water and no heat. It's recommended that people keep a supply of water to last your family at least several days (3 gallons of water per person per day) and plenty of non perishable food, batteries, flashlights, some cash and so on. We're pretty good on the food and supplies but slack on the water due to storage space. This isn't being an alarmist, this is being reasonable when you live somewhere that can experience snowstorms, hurricanes, flooding, severe thunderstorms and the like. And keeping it on hand sure beats trying to rush for it when everyone else is too.

Civil unrest causing issues on this scale? I don't know. I think that hammerpocket has a good point in that often those that cause the worst fear re these events turn out to be the ones responsible for things that happen. But I do know that we are seeing stuff on the political scene that I thought we were way, WAY past seeing in this country. So if we are exercising some common sense just to keep ourselves and our families safe with the stuff that happens in everyday life it would keep us in good stead should something more extreme come along.

Oh and I think it's a REALLY good idea to fill your meds as soon as insurance allows and eventually you will build up extra- because as posted things happen and having it really helps. I also keep several days worth of meds for all of us in a small container in my purse in case anything ever happens to keep us away from home.

Hardak

I've been stock piling meds for years now figure at this point in time other then my puffers(just can't get extra on those) I've got enough to last me 3 months or so, granted the nebulized(sp?) stuff is an issue and I'm off/on antibiotics so often now trying to stalk anything past 3 months is fairly pointless.

"Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cause
I sure could use a vacation from this"

Sorry.. I couldn't help it.

CyrilCrodius

In the event of something that would require being in "survival mode" for an extended period of time (years), stockpiling would likely not be worth it as not only will you be amongst the first to die, but it will be even more agonizing since "attempting to survive" would mean that your medicationless agony would last even longer. Life would likely be shit in such a scenario anyway. Better spare yourself the slow death and let yourself die or be killed.

That's what I would do anyway.