110 degree heat and oxygen %

carly23

I live in Texas and its 110 degrees right now!..just curious to know if the heat can affect your oxygen %?..i usualy sit 97-98 but here it seems i been more 95-96..and i like my higher numbers..i recently stopped ivs a week ago but just wanderi if this heat can make it a little harder to breathe and make the oxygen sit lower..i drink plenty of water and gatorade and exercise on my treadmill everyday for 30mins :)

JustDucky

I know it affects my breathing effort when it is hot and humid outside which in turn tires me and my sats do suffer ultimately as my muscles work harder and harder just to get air in.. My FEV is low, <30 so I don't have much wiggle room anyway, not as much as a person who has good lung function.

Jenn 40 wCF

JustDucky

I should also add that you should stay inside as much as possible Carly, in AC....when it gets that hot, I don't even put my big toe outside unless it is absolutely necessary. Hang in there!

D

DrRoe

Hi, we live in Texas as well. It hit around 113-115 where we live yesterday and they are predicting we will hit 113 today.. I walked out of the house with my hair wet yesterday. The wind was blowing a little and it dried my hair before I got into the car. But, aside from the heat, the other problem is, many cities in Texas have relatively borderline air quality and the hotter it gets the worse the air quality becomes due to car and factory exhaust. Right now the East side of the state's air quality is showing in the 'moderate' zone as versus the 'good' zone. According to the EPA (theoretically) that level is OK for most folks but some who have respiratory difficulties may be experiencing negative impacts. My son is one of those who is negatively impacted so that's why when it hot like this we cancel our CF clinic appointments in Dallas and reset them to a date that's a little less hot. My advice, stay inside and if you can run a HEPA filter - it doesn't help take out everything in the air but it will take out some of it.