Allergic Reaction in Sputum culture?

momofcfprincess

A few weeks ago my daughter was coughing up these hard dark greenish pieces in her sputum. I collected one and took it to her CF clinic. The results came back as high white blood cell count, bacteria and something else.....I don't remember what her doctor called it but said it was some kind of ALLERGIC REACTION. Her doctor said he has never seen it and would need to talk to some other doctors about it. Have any of you ever heard of this?? He took her off bactrim and cayston for now and wants to take her off Tobi too after the winter months. Since 2010 my daughter's lung function has continually decreased, she is 12 and her lung function is 49%. She has been hospitalized about 7 times since 2010. She only cultures staph and stenomalt... and in 2007 psuedo. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?? Please? Thanks for your help!

momofcfprincess

A few weeks ago my daughter was coughing up these hard dark greenishpieces in her sputum. I collected one and took it to her CF clinic. The results came back as high white blood cell count, bacteria and something else.....Idon't remember what her doctor called it but said it was some kind of ALLERGIC REACTION. Her doctor said he has never seen it and would need to talk to some other doctors about it. Have any of you ever heard of this?? He took her off bactrim and cayston for now and wants to take her off Tobi too after the winter months. Since 2010 my daughter's lung function has continually decreased, she is 12 and her lung function is 49%. She has been hospitalized about 7 times since 2010. She only cultures staph and stenomalt... and in 2007 psuedo. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?? Please? Thanks for your help!

momofcfprincess

A few weeks ago my daughter was coughing up these hard dark greenishpieces in her sputum. I collected one and took it to her CF clinic. The results came back as high white blood cell count, bacteria and something else.....Idon't remember what her doctor called it but said it was some kind of ALLERGIC REACTION. Her doctor said he has never seen it and would need to talk to some other doctors about it. Have any of you ever heard of this?? He took her off bactrim and cayston for now and wants to take her off Tobi too after the winter months. Since 2010 my daughter's lung function has continually decreased, she is 12 and her lung function is 49%. She has been hospitalized about 7 times since 2010. She only cultures staph and stenomalt... and in 2007 psuedo. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?? Please? Thanks for your help!<BR>

hmw

An allergic reaction I hear of commonly associated with cf is APBA, a reaction to aspergillus. I have no idea what kind of sputum is commonly seen with this, but I do know it can cause severe inflammation and decline in pulmonary function if not properly treated (and the typical abx, etc won't help since it's not bacterial.)

hmw

An allergic reaction I hear of commonly associated with cf is APBA, a reaction to aspergillus. I have no idea what kind of sputum is commonly seen with this, but I do know it can cause severe inflammation and decline in pulmonary function if not properly treated (and the typical abx, etc won't help since it's not bacterial.)

hmw

L

lizlas

<P>momofcfprincess</P>
<P>Hi</P>
<P>sorry that your daughter is having so much trouble..thats the only allergic reaction i've ever heard of too is what Harriet said, APBA,  but a CF dr. would have certainly dealt with that before.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>It never hurts to Ask Dr. to write down name of bacteria fungus or whatever , very difficult to retain all information when your suddenly told something new and upsetting. or ask for a copy of report.</P>
<P>what centre do you go to? and do you have a follow up booked.?</P>
<P>you can always call and ask the nurse to look it up in her file. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>is there any where you can go for a second opinion? new pair of eyes is sometimes helpful.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>lets us know what the dr. tells you.</P>

L

lizlas

<P>momofcfprincess</P>
<P>Hi</P>
<P>sorry that your daughter is having so much trouble..thats the only allergic reaction i've ever heard of too is what Harriet said, APBA, but a CF dr. would have certainly dealt with that before.</P>
<P></P>
<P>It never hurts to Ask Dr. to write down name of bacteria fungus or whatever , very difficult to retain all information when your suddenly told something new and upsetting. or ask for a copy of report.</P>
<P></P>
<P>is there any where you can go for a second opinion? new pair of eyes is sometimes helpful.</P>
<P></P>

L

lizlas

<P><BR>momofcfprincess</P>
<P>Hi</P>
<P>sorry that your daughter is having so much trouble..thats the only allergic reaction i've ever heard of too is what Harriet said, APBA, but a CF dr. would have certainly dealt with that before.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

T

TonyaH

It is possible to cough up fungus balls if you have ABPA. However, I've always heard these have more of a blue color rather than green. My son's mucous plugs are often hard and dark green in color. Are you sure they weren't plugs?

T

TonyaH

It is possible to cough up fungus balls if you have ABPA. However, I've always heard these have more of a blue color rather than green. My son's mucous plugs are often hard and dark green in color. Are you sure they weren't plugs?

T

TonyaH

Beccamom

My DD age 12 just cultured Pneumocystic Bacteria from bronchoscopy, which isn't a bacteria but its own organism now thought to be most closely related to a fungus. Is this what she cultured? My DDs Dr seemed uncertain about this culture.

Beccamom

My DD age 12 just cultured Pneumocystic Bacteria from bronchoscopy, which isn't a bacteria but its own organism now thought to be most closely related to a fungus. Is this what she cultured? My DDs Dr seemed uncertain about this culture.

Beccamom

JustDucky

I wonder if they saw eosinophils in the sputum, which is a type of white blood cell but seems to be present with allergic reactions. That may be what they mean regarding an allergic reaction in the sputum. Did the doc say anything else about it? I hope you get answers soon....

Jenn 39 w/CF

JustDucky

I wonder if they saw eosinophils in the sputum, which is a type of white blood cell but seems to be present with allergic reactions. That may be what they mean regarding an allergic reaction in the sputum. Did the doc say anything else about it? I hope you get answers soon....

Jenn 39 w/CF

JustDucky

<br />
<br />Jenn 39 w/CF

momofcfprincess

Thanks for the responses. I found out the culture came back with "abundant eosinophils" in her sputum. My DD 's doctor wants to stop cayston and maybe tobi to see if this is causing it. She has been on Tobi for years and she started Cayston as soon as it came out. Her lung function has been declining for 2 years now. She is at 49% and had 2 hospital stays this summer..and 3 lasyt year..... maybe the meds are causing her more problems than helping!?!?

momofcfprincess

Thanks for the responses. I found out the culture came back with "abundant eosinophils" in her sputum. My DD 's doctor wants to stop cayston and maybe tobi to see if this is causing it. She has been on Tobi for years and she started Cayston as soon as it came out. Her lung function has been declining for 2 years now. She is at 49% and had 2 hospital stays this summer..and 3 lasyt year..... maybe the meds are causing her more problems than helping!?!?