baby is having odd symptoms

mom2lillian

I have read that you can put one end of their bed on a slight incline but I think this advice was for when they were a bit younger. If she were sick I have heard puttin the baby vapo rub etc on her feet to keep it safe works well.

Since you feel it has been going on all along I would not take the 'norm' response. I would self refer to an allergist just for peace of mind. I have been told that allergies --at least environmental would not develop until at least one year of age (since they will then start getting exposed to the seasons etc a 2nd time) but also most likely until after BF is stopped. She could have a food allergy already that she is getting via your milk but I thought food allergies presented more with bloody stools etc that what you are describing. All docs but especially peds are notorious for not taking a mothers instict seriously (there is even literature and reserach on this out there), dont let them overshadow yours!

story: when Lillian was 6 months old she started throwing up VIOLENTLY, she would throw up 10-12 times over a 2 hour period and you could feel her belly contracting, she woudl be so tired from all this she would lay her head on me in between and sometimes fall asleep. I was BESIDE myself with worry. The 1st tiem I called ped they say stomach flu-dont worry 2nd time - stomach flu dont worry 3rd time-somethign she ate dont worry, well you get the picture. I called BS but knew there was not much they would do so I documented her symptoms, day time what she ate what she was doing when it started how long it lasted everything. Went in to doc. She said 'dont worry nothing' but I ?'d her about everythig uder sun including metabolic disorders food allergies everything. PED said no no no shes fine just fluke thing. At that time I had only given her an assortment of veggies and rice cereal and multi grain cereal. Anyway I realized with all my charting it was any time I fed her rice cereal, called ped and they assured me it was NOT rice cereal, noone is allergic to rice cereal. Well she may not be allergic but it WAS the rice cereal. Any time my daughter eats rice cereal it happens, mixed cereal was not causing that reaction but was causing her to spit up etc which was not her norm (I thought it was from introducing solids) I switched her to barley or oatmeal and it never happened again. The only time after that it happened was when I fed her yo baby whcih I found 'rice cereal' in ingredients and then it was just a 1 throw up because such a small amount in there. Anyway she i snot allergic to rice and can eat it but not the cereal. I am telling you this for 1 to tell you to listen to your gut even if they tell you your nuts and 2 I was SO fearful it was somethign very serious (with a background of an undiagnosed genetic illness myself how could I not?) and it was SO simple. I am sure you are very worried so I hope you will take comfort in that it might be really simple.

take care

mom2lillian

I have read that you can put one end of their bed on a slight incline but I think this advice was for when they were a bit younger. If she were sick I have heard puttin the baby vapo rub etc on her feet to keep it safe works well.

Since you feel it has been going on all along I would not take the 'norm' response. I would self refer to an allergist just for peace of mind. I have been told that allergies --at least environmental would not develop until at least one year of age (since they will then start getting exposed to the seasons etc a 2nd time) but also most likely until after BF is stopped. She could have a food allergy already that she is getting via your milk but I thought food allergies presented more with bloody stools etc that what you are describing. All docs but especially peds are notorious for not taking a mothers instict seriously (there is even literature and reserach on this out there), dont let them overshadow yours!

story: when Lillian was 6 months old she started throwing up VIOLENTLY, she would throw up 10-12 times over a 2 hour period and you could feel her belly contracting, she woudl be so tired from all this she would lay her head on me in between and sometimes fall asleep. I was BESIDE myself with worry. The 1st tiem I called ped they say stomach flu-dont worry 2nd time - stomach flu dont worry 3rd time-somethign she ate dont worry, well you get the picture. I called BS but knew there was not much they would do so I documented her symptoms, day time what she ate what she was doing when it started how long it lasted everything. Went in to doc. She said 'dont worry nothing' but I ?'d her about everythig uder sun including metabolic disorders food allergies everything. PED said no no no shes fine just fluke thing. At that time I had only given her an assortment of veggies and rice cereal and multi grain cereal. Anyway I realized with all my charting it was any time I fed her rice cereal, called ped and they assured me it was NOT rice cereal, noone is allergic to rice cereal. Well she may not be allergic but it WAS the rice cereal. Any time my daughter eats rice cereal it happens, mixed cereal was not causing that reaction but was causing her to spit up etc which was not her norm (I thought it was from introducing solids) I switched her to barley or oatmeal and it never happened again. The only time after that it happened was when I fed her yo baby whcih I found 'rice cereal' in ingredients and then it was just a 1 throw up because such a small amount in there. Anyway she i snot allergic to rice and can eat it but not the cereal. I am telling you this for 1 to tell you to listen to your gut even if they tell you your nuts and 2 I was SO fearful it was somethign very serious (with a background of an undiagnosed genetic illness myself how could I not?) and it was SO simple. I am sure you are very worried so I hope you will take comfort in that it might be really simple.

take care

mom2lillian

take care

mom2lillian

take care

mom2lillian

take care

Diana

With a little baby it could really be any of the above. It is really important to distinguish if your daughter is getting worse or is regularly congested at the same level. If she is deteriorating then head straight back to the doctor and ask that she be checked over again....it wouldn't be the first time you would have heard the saying, "mothers instict is generally right".

My experience with 5 month olds is that it is the perfect time for them to start teething. Teething increases the amount of mucus they produce and for a child who may already have some form of allergy, this would most likely significantly increase their congestion. My first daughter (cfer) used to worry me regularly with clear runny noses and slight coughing as I thought she could be showing her first signs of the CF. Each time her nose would run clear though, within a few days a tooth would pop out and the nose and mucus would dry up.

It is unlikely that your daughter is going to get a tooth right now as they on average get there first teeth around 7 months but they certainly do start teething around 5 months. Every child is different of course and this is just one possibility.

Diana

With a little baby it could really be any of the above. It is really important to distinguish if your daughter is getting worse or is regularly congested at the same level. If she is deteriorating then head straight back to the doctor and ask that she be checked over again....it wouldn't be the first time you would have heard the saying, "mothers instict is generally right".

My experience with 5 month olds is that it is the perfect time for them to start teething. Teething increases the amount of mucus they produce and for a child who may already have some form of allergy, this would most likely significantly increase their congestion. My first daughter (cfer) used to worry me regularly with clear runny noses and slight coughing as I thought she could be showing her first signs of the CF. Each time her nose would run clear though, within a few days a tooth would pop out and the nose and mucus would dry up.

It is unlikely that your daughter is going to get a tooth right now as they on average get there first teeth around 7 months but they certainly do start teething around 5 months. Every child is different of course and this is just one possibility.

Diana

Diana

Diana

LouLou

Ah sweetie, I wish the doctor could have made her symptoms go away. I hope you got some rest last night. Try to leave night duty to dh, dm, or mil. I know it's easier said than done. It's easy to worry and then not sleep well. Until your out of the woods with your own health I think it's the best thing to do. Just keep reminding yourself that well babies do get sick and that this too shale pass. Just lik you did while you were pregnant...come up with your own positive mantra. To others reading this it might sound sort of flaky but the stress of worrying about our children takes a toll on our lungs and gives the bacteria a leg up. Stay positive and in charge!

Isaac's cf doctor gave us percussor cups to use whenever we suspect lung congestion. You could do a form of pt on her to break up the congestion but if her lungs sound clear then it is probably more like others describe and post nasal drip, etc. Another thing that is good is to bring her into a steamy bathroom. Let her breath that moist air. I've heard that if a child has an uncontrollable cough one way to get it to stop so they can rest is to alternate between steamy bathroom and cold dry out doors or if summer then lettign them breath from an open freezer door. I picked up this tip while on hold with my pediatrician they were describing via a recorded message care methods for croup, RSV and others.

LouLou

Ah sweetie, I wish the doctor could have made her symptoms go away. I hope you got some rest last night. Try to leave night duty to dh, dm, or mil. I know it's easier said than done. It's easy to worry and then not sleep well. Until your out of the woods with your own health I think it's the best thing to do. Just keep reminding yourself that well babies do get sick and that this too shale pass. Just lik you did while you were pregnant...come up with your own positive mantra. To others reading this it might sound sort of flaky but the stress of worrying about our children takes a toll on our lungs and gives the bacteria a leg up. Stay positive and in charge!

Isaac's cf doctor gave us percussor cups to use whenever we suspect lung congestion. You could do a form of pt on her to break up the congestion but if her lungs sound clear then it is probably more like others describe and post nasal drip, etc. Another thing that is good is to bring her into a steamy bathroom. Let her breath that moist air. I've heard that if a child has an uncontrollable cough one way to get it to stop so they can rest is to alternate between steamy bathroom and cold dry out doors or if summer then lettign them breath from an open freezer door. I picked up this tip while on hold with my pediatrician they were describing via a recorded message care methods for croup, RSV and others.

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

wanderlost

Sounds like you've already gotten some great advice. I think inclining her crib might help (except, does she sleep with you? - can't remember off hand) - I mean, sleeping inclined helps most of us. As Lauren said, a steamy shower and cold winter air (maybe bundle her up nice and toasty and open the bedroom a crack window for just a bit).

A few other things I do with Marlee: I rub lavender and eucalyptus oils (mixed with almond oil) on her chest and back when she is stuffy. I also get the "Gentle Soothers" plug in things that smell nice and eucalyptus-y, I run a steam vaposrizer and I put some essentail oils in that too.

I hope this is just a first cold and you all come through it unscathed.

How is she tolerating the antibiotics besides this cold-thing??

wanderlost

Sounds like you've already gotten some great advice. I think inclining her crib might help (except, does she sleep with you? - can't remember off hand) - I mean, sleeping inclined helps most of us. As Lauren said, a steamy shower and cold winter air (maybe bundle her up nice and toasty and open the bedroom a crack window for just a bit).

A few other things I do with Marlee: I rub lavender and eucalyptus oils (mixed with almond oil) on her chest and back when she is stuffy. I also get the "Gentle Soothers" plug in things that smell nice and eucalyptus-y, I run a steam vaposrizer and I put some essentail oils in that too.

wanderlost

wanderlost

wanderlost