Birth Control/Tubaligation...

C

Cutecurlz

Hello...it has come to my attention that birth control (The Pill) is NOT working for me. Why and how do I know you ask? Well it comes and goes whenever it feels like it. So my question is: I am almost 40 yrs old and have no intention of having any kids, so would it be better for me to get my tubes tied(would I still get my period?) or would a hystorectomy be better. I don't want any kids because I am too old now and my brother is very sick (waiting for a double lung transplant) I don't feel it would be fair for me to bring a child into this world with me being almost 40. This is how I feel so I am just weighing my options right now. Any ideas or imput would be greatly appreciated.

C

Cutecurlz

Hello...it has come to my attention that birth control (The Pill) is NOT working for me. Why and how do I know you ask? Well it comes and goes whenever it feels like it. So my question is: I am almost 40 yrs old and have no intention of having any kids, so would it be better for me to get my tubes tied(would I still get my period?) or would a hystorectomy be better. I don't want any kids because I am too old now and my brother is very sick (waiting for a double lung transplant) I don't feel it would be fair for me to bring a child into this world with me being almost 40. This is how I feel so I am just weighing my options right now. Any ideas or imput would be greatly appreciated.

C

Cutecurlz

NoExcuses

hysterectomy is a bit drastic.... i have a feeling you won't find a doc will to do that type of surgery for birth control reasons.

i myself have been considering tubal ligation for a while now and I will probably get the surgery in the next year or so. you will still get your period with a tubal ligation however.

NoExcuses

hysterectomy is a bit drastic.... i have a feeling you won't find a doc will to do that type of surgery for birth control reasons.

i myself have been considering tubal ligation for a while now and I will probably get the surgery in the next year or so. you will still get your period with a tubal ligation however.

NoExcuses

JazzysMom

Ironically before I got pregnant I had thrown the idea around about getting a hysterectomy. Not because of pregnancy, but because my periods caused such a problem with my health. I decided against it. It was explained to me that I would trade one set of problems for another. Its not an easy fix so to speak. It puts you in early menopause etc. I am 38 now & dont plan on having any more kids. I dont use hormonal BC. I have chosen to use the IUD which is improved since the years of horror. Its fabulous. I have had it in for 8 years with no problems & its normal healthy use time is 10 years. I would be leary of the hysterctomy because of other things that come in so be sure to do your homework before making that decision. As far as tying your tubes....that is a great alternative to avoid pregnancy. So many decisions....good luck!!

JazzysMom

Ironically before I got pregnant I had thrown the idea around about getting a hysterectomy. Not because of pregnancy, but because my periods caused such a problem with my health. I decided against it. It was explained to me that I would trade one set of problems for another. Its not an easy fix so to speak. It puts you in early menopause etc. I am 38 now & dont plan on having any more kids. I dont use hormonal BC. I have chosen to use the IUD which is improved since the years of horror. Its fabulous. I have had it in for 8 years with no problems & its normal healthy use time is 10 years. I would be leary of the hysterctomy because of other things that come in so be sure to do your homework before making that decision. As far as tying your tubes....that is a great alternative to avoid pregnancy. So many decisions....good luck!!

JazzysMom

littledebbie

I Pimp this every time this question comes up. I have an iud..have had it about 4 years and I've been very happy. This is the type I have <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html">IUD</a> and I think it's an informative site. If you browse it you can compare it to other forms of birth control etc. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

littledebbie

I Pimp this every time this question comes up. I have an iud..have had it about 4 years and I've been very happy. This is the type I have <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html">IUD</a> and I think it's an informative site. If you browse it you can compare it to other forms of birth control etc. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

littledebbie

Alyssa

ditto on the don't get a hysterectomy -- if you do not have any problem with endometriosis or heavy periods, you do not want a hysterectomy.

A tubal ligation is the way to go -- very simple, out patient surgery, recover is easy. Yes, you still get your periods, it doesn't change your hormones or anything like that -- all it does is sever the tubes that the eggs travel down -- no route for the egg to get travel to the uterus and no route for the sperm to get to the egg so no pregnancy can occur -- everything else remains the same.

I had one about 10-11 years ago without any problems or regrets.

Alyssa

ditto on the don't get a hysterectomy -- if you do not have any problem with endometriosis or heavy periods, you do not want a hysterectomy.

A tubal ligation is the way to go -- very simple, out patient surgery, recover is easy. Yes, you still get your periods, it doesn't change your hormones or anything like that -- all it does is sever the tubes that the eggs travel down -- no route for the egg to get travel to the uterus and no route for the sperm to get to the egg so no pregnancy can occur -- everything else remains the same.

Alyssa

Scarlett81

I used the Depo Shot for 2 years, which was highly effective but had terrible side effects. Then I switched to the NuvaRing-loved it. The best. It regulated my cycles within one cycle of using it. Its so convenient, I barely had to think of it. Alot of my acquaintences have switched to the NuvaRing, b/c it has such a lower occurence of side effects but you barely have to think of it.

I hope you find something good for you. Its a big decision, but it sounds like you're really planning.

Scarlett81

I used the Depo Shot for 2 years, which was highly effective but had terrible side effects. Then I switched to the NuvaRing-loved it. The best. It regulated my cycles within one cycle of using it. Its so convenient, I barely had to think of it. Alot of my acquaintences have switched to the NuvaRing, b/c it has such a lower occurence of side effects but you barely have to think of it.

I hope you find something good for you. Its a big decision, but it sounds like you're really planning.

Scarlett81

Seana30

I always like to speak up when this subject comes up. 12 years ago I had my tubes tied. I became pregnant TWICE while on the pill. I felt I had no other choice than tubaligation. I know most people have no problems after having the surgery but I want woman to know there can be complications!!!

About a month after the surgery I starting having SEVERE night sweats. I would wake up and have to change the sheets because they were soaked in sweat. I had and still have severe sensitivity in my belly area. I can not have anyone push on my stomach because it REALLY HURTS. My sex drive went to almost zero for awhile, weight gain, mood swings, etc. I went back to the doc that did the surgery and they said "go home, nothing is wrong". I never had any of these problems until I had my tubes tied.

I believe you should look into EVERY birth control option before you decide to have this surgery.

I don't believe you would find a doctor that would do a hystorectomy as birth control. If I did find a doctor that said yes to that I would be very leary of the doctor.

I would also be very leary of a doc that would do a tubaligation on a 25 year old woman with no kids. Most doctors require you to be 35-40 y/o without children. I was only 21 when I had my tubes tied but I had just had my 3rd child.

Seana

Seana30

I always like to speak up when this subject comes up. 12 years ago I had my tubes tied. I became pregnant TWICE while on the pill. I felt I had no other choice than tubaligation. I know most people have no problems after having the surgery but I want woman to know there can be complications!!!

About a month after the surgery I starting having SEVERE night sweats. I would wake up and have to change the sheets because they were soaked in sweat. I had and still have severe sensitivity in my belly area. I can not have anyone push on my stomach because it REALLY HURTS. My sex drive went to almost zero for awhile, weight gain, mood swings, etc. I went back to the doc that did the surgery and they said "go home, nothing is wrong". I never had any of these problems until I had my tubes tied.

I believe you should look into EVERY birth control option before you decide to have this surgery.

I don't believe you would find a doctor that would do a hystorectomy as birth control. If I did find a doctor that said yes to that I would be very leary of the doctor.

I would also be very leary of a doc that would do a tubaligation on a 25 year old woman with no kids. Most doctors require you to be 35-40 y/o without children. I was only 21 when I had my tubes tied but I had just had my 3rd child.

Seana