CF and Siblings

static

Heh It seems I most often visit this site when I'm sick, I gotta change that.

Anyways, while browsing the internet, procrastinating my vest treatment because of the coughing fit that is sure to ensue, I came across an article (<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cystic-l.org/handbook/html/helping_siblings_cope_with_cf.htm)">http://cystic-l.org/handbook/h...ings_cope_with_cf.htm)</a> dealing with the affects of Cystic Fibrosis on siblings.

I'm pretty new here so I'm not sure how much this is talked about amongst ourselves, but I was curious what changes in behavior (if any) you believe having Cystic Fibrosis had on your siblings?

I know for me it is sometimes tough to think about others when I'm in pain, and I think deep down we all just want to "help people" in some form or another, so I figure why not start where we care the most (our family).

For those of you who can't or haven't read it yet, the article brought up two siblings who reacted very differently to a family member with CF. The older sister of this individual (sorry I can't find a name anywhere) behavied very similiarly in characteristic to my two sisters in that they are very strong "overachievers". The author mentioned that guilt could of played a role in that, so it makes me question if it is possible my sisters were impacted subconsciously, even partly, by that as well.

The second sibling was the authors younger brother. He came across as the type starved for attention and the "harsh truth teller" of the family, stating something along the lines of "You get all the attention because you won't live as long" to his sibling. After all was said and done, the younger brother felt really bad about what he said but he did have the courage to get that off his chest, even if it wasn't the proper way to do it.

So again, I ask you what impact CF could of had on your siblings?

static

Anyways, while browsing the internet, procrastinating my vest treatment because of the coughing fit that is sure to ensue, I came across an article (<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cystic-l.org/handbook/html/helping_siblings_cope_with_cf.htm)">http://cystic-l.org/handbook/h...ings_cope_with_cf.htm)</a> dealing with the affects of Cystic Fibrosis on siblings.

I'm pretty new here so I'm not sure how much this is talked about amongst ourselves, but I was curious what changes in behavior (if any) you believe having Cystic Fibrosis had on your siblings?

I know for me it is sometimes tough to think about others when I'm in pain, and I think deep down we all just want to "help people" in some form or another, so I figure why not start where we care the most (our family).

For those of you who can't or haven't read it yet, the article brought up two siblings who reacted very differently to a family member with CF. The older sister of this individual (sorry I can't find a name anywhere) behavied very similiarly in characteristic to my two sisters in that they are very strong "overachievers". The author mentioned that guilt could of played a role in that, so it makes me question if it is possible my sisters were impacted subconsciously, even partly, by that as well.

The second sibling was the authors younger brother. He came across as the type starved for attention and the "harsh truth teller" of the family, stating something along the lines of "You get all the attention because you won't live as long" to his sibling. After all was said and done, the younger brother felt really bad about what he said but he did have the courage to get that off his chest, even if it wasn't the proper way to do it.

static

static

static

<br />
<br />Anyways, while browsing the internet, procrastinating my vest treatment because of the coughing fit that is sure to ensue, I came across an article (<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cystic-l.org/handbook/html/helping_siblings_cope_with_cf.htm)">http://cystic-l.org/handbook/h...ings_cope_with_cf.htm)</a> dealing with the affects of Cystic Fibrosis on siblings.
<br />
<br />I'm pretty new here so I'm not sure how much this is talked about amongst ourselves, but I was curious what changes in behavior (if any) you believe having Cystic Fibrosis had on your siblings?
<br />
<br />I know for me it is sometimes tough to think about others when I'm in pain, and I think deep down we all just want to "help people" in some form or another, so I figure why not start where we care the most (our family).
<br />
<br />For those of you who can't or haven't read it yet, the article brought up two siblings who reacted very differently to a family member with CF. The older sister of this individual (sorry I can't find a name anywhere) behavied very similiarly in characteristic to my two sisters in that they are very strong "overachievers". The author mentioned that guilt could of played a role in that, so it makes me question if it is possible my sisters were impacted subconsciously, even partly, by that as well.
<br />
<br />The second sibling was the authors younger brother. He came across as the type starved for attention and the "harsh truth teller" of the family, stating something along the lines of "You get all the attention because you won't live as long" to his sibling. After all was said and done, the younger brother felt really bad about what he said but he did have the courage to get that off his chest, even if it wasn't the proper way to do it.
<br />
<br />So again, I ask you what impact CF could of had on your siblings?

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey static,

Sorry I couldn't get your link to work, but wanted to comment just based on what you stated in your post. I'm the youngest of 3 kids. My sister (the oldest child) is a perfectionist and overachiever and she has been for as long as I can remember. She's a perfectionist to the point of neurosis, and has obsessive compulsive disorder. I suppose, like you are theorizing, she could have been effected subconsciously by my having CF and felt she had to be perfect in order to compensate for stress I brought on the family. Although, there are birth order theories that have nothing to do with CF that could also explain these types of characteristics in oldest children.

I always find that sort of stuff interesting though and I look forward to hearing what others have to say. I don't think it's a stretch to say that CF impacts our siblings in one way or another.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey static,

Sorry I couldn't get your link to work, but wanted to comment just based on what you stated in your post. I'm the youngest of 3 kids. My sister (the oldest child) is a perfectionist and overachiever and she has been for as long as I can remember. She's a perfectionist to the point of neurosis, and has obsessive compulsive disorder. I suppose, like you are theorizing, she could have been effected subconsciously by my having CF and felt she had to be perfect in order to compensate for stress I brought on the family. Although, there are birth order theories that have nothing to do with CF that could also explain these types of characteristics in oldest children.

I always find that sort of stuff interesting though and I look forward to hearing what others have to say. I don't think it's a stretch to say that CF impacts our siblings in one way or another.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey static,

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey static,

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey static,
<br />
<br />Sorry I couldn't get your link to work, but wanted to comment just based on what you stated in your post. I'm the youngest of 3 kids. My sister (the oldest child) is a perfectionist and overachiever and she has been for as long as I can remember. She's a perfectionist to the point of neurosis, and has obsessive compulsive disorder. I suppose, like you are theorizing, she could have been effected subconsciously by my having CF and felt she had to be perfect in order to compensate for stress I brought on the family. Although, there are birth order theories that have nothing to do with CF that could also explain these types of characteristics in oldest children.
<br />
<br />I always find that sort of stuff interesting though and I look forward to hearing what others have to say. I don't think it's a stretch to say that CF impacts our siblings in one way or another.

hmw

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cystic-l.org/handbook/html/helping_siblings_cope_with_cf.htm">Helping Siblings Cope With CF</a>

hmw

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cystic-l.org/handbook/html/helping_siblings_cope_with_cf.htm">Helping Siblings Cope With CF</a>

hmw

hmw

hmw

mamerth

My step-sibling were in disbelief for years (I didn't have many outward symptoms). My little sister who lived in the same house with me time w saw me after surgeries, she helped me with my treatments and it was very real for her.

Now that we are adults BOTH my sisters are very aware of what is going on with me and are trying to be a support for me. For my siblings its has been awareness and education that has made the world of difference in their response to my illness.

mamerth

My step-sibling were in disbelief for years (I didn't have many outward symptoms). My little sister who lived in the same house with me time w saw me after surgeries, she helped me with my treatments and it was very real for her.

Now that we are adults BOTH my sisters are very aware of what is going on with me and are trying to be a support for me. For my siblings its has been awareness and education that has made the world of difference in their response to my illness.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

<br />
<br />Now that we are adults BOTH my sisters are very aware of what is going on with me and are trying to be a support for me. For my siblings its has been awareness and education that has made the world of difference in their response to my illness.