Disability advice

littledebbie

In order to apply for SSDI you have to be unemployed for 5 months before you can submit an application at which time they will tell you it can take between 3-4 months to get approved, but that they will back pay you to the day you submitted your application. I applied in Dec. and am still awaiting approval. I have not spoken to ANYONE who was approved in 3-4 months. A year seems to be more the average and getting a lawyer seems to be what's necessary (which seems like a racket if you ask me).

The amount of money they will give you a month depends on your work history and while it's not a TON of money it is more than you would get through a state program such as SSI. State is usually around $600 a month and they make you subtract any monetary gifts you receieve and if you earn any money they deduct that as well. THE Fed SSDI, depends on work history, but if your boyfriend is 27 and has been working a few years I would guess he'd be at a little more than $1000 a month (there's a site to check that out)once you are approved you can work part time and earn up to about $800 a month before they start evaluating whether you still need your benefits and they don't deduct financial gifts etc.

For me this has been a long frustrating process. I lived alone for 6 yrs and have been independant since I was 17. I am now having to rely on family and am living with my dad. That's all been a bit of a blow. Also, I have had trouble understading what the hold up is, I am 27 with CF and PFT's at 20%...where's the decision...I'm pretty sure that qualifies me, yet still the dicker about and send me to THEIR docs who aren't even pulmonoligst etc. My feeling has been they make it as hard as possible hoping you will give up and decide it would be easier to go back to work. So I guess I'm saying ..be prepared. I know this was the right choice for me in the long haul. I've had a lot more time to take better care of myself and have felt better than I have in a long time but it has come at a price.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

littledebbie

In order to apply for SSDI you have to be unemployed for 5 months before you can submit an application at which time they will tell you it can take between 3-4 months to get approved, but that they will back pay you to the day you submitted your application. I applied in Dec. and am still awaiting approval. I have not spoken to ANYONE who was approved in 3-4 months. A year seems to be more the average and getting a lawyer seems to be what's necessary (which seems like a racket if you ask me).

The amount of money they will give you a month depends on your work history and while it's not a TON of money it is more than you would get through a state program such as SSI. State is usually around $600 a month and they make you subtract any monetary gifts you receieve and if you earn any money they deduct that as well. THE Fed SSDI, depends on work history, but if your boyfriend is 27 and has been working a few years I would guess he'd be at a little more than $1000 a month (there's a site to check that out)once you are approved you can work part time and earn up to about $800 a month before they start evaluating whether you still need your benefits and they don't deduct financial gifts etc.

For me this has been a long frustrating process. I lived alone for 6 yrs and have been independant since I was 17. I am now having to rely on family and am living with my dad. That's all been a bit of a blow. Also, I have had trouble understading what the hold up is, I am 27 with CF and PFT's at 20%...where's the decision...I'm pretty sure that qualifies me, yet still the dicker about and send me to THEIR docs who aren't even pulmonoligst etc. My feeling has been they make it as hard as possible hoping you will give up and decide it would be easier to go back to work. So I guess I'm saying ..be prepared. I know this was the right choice for me in the long haul. I've had a lot more time to take better care of myself and have felt better than I have in a long time but it has come at a price.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

tara

I used Beth Sufian as well. She rocks! She will tell you if she thinks you'd be better off fighting it in court on your own. I was a borderline case and she originally thought I might be better off on my own. But after she got my medical records she wrote up (something) i can't remember the name of the document and sent it to the judge and it was approved right away. (after waiting 22 months! and finally getting a court date)

I had a work history of 5 years and your payment will depend on how much you paid into the system. I also get benefits for my children, but my husband is the major breadwinner by far. This certainly helps though. For me, the cost of hiring Beth was 25% of my back payments or $5,500, whichever was less. The backpayments go back to the date you stopped working, the date your doctor declared you disabled. Not when you applied. I stopped working in June 2004, but only applied in September 2004. My backpayments went back to June 2004.

I say go for it. Apply and appeal, appeal, appeal (NEVER file a new app after you are denied, just APPEAL!). For me this process took 22 months.

Tara

tara

I used Beth Sufian as well. She rocks! She will tell you if she thinks you'd be better off fighting it in court on your own. I was a borderline case and she originally thought I might be better off on my own. But after she got my medical records she wrote up (something) i can't remember the name of the document and sent it to the judge and it was approved right away. (after waiting 22 months! and finally getting a court date)

I had a work history of 5 years and your payment will depend on how much you paid into the system. I also get benefits for my children, but my husband is the major breadwinner by far. This certainly helps though. For me, the cost of hiring Beth was 25% of my back payments or $5,500, whichever was less. The backpayments go back to the date you stopped working, the date your doctor declared you disabled. Not when you applied. I stopped working in June 2004, but only applied in September 2004. My backpayments went back to June 2004.

I say go for it. Apply and appeal, appeal, appeal (NEVER file a new app after you are denied, just APPEAL!). For me this process took 22 months.

Tara

tara

Tara

tara

Tara

tara

Tara

tara

Tara

KtJo

Thank you everyone for your advice and info on disability! I really had no clue about how the process works. I cannot tell you how much you have helped. Richard has a call in to Beth, so hopefully things will start rolling soon.
It sounds like it could be a long process, but well worth it.

Thank you very much!

-Katie

KtJo

Thank you everyone for your advice and info on disability! I really had no clue about how the process works. I cannot tell you how much you have helped. Richard has a call in to Beth, so hopefully things will start rolling soon.

Thank you very much!

-Katie

KtJo

Thank you very much!

-Katie

KtJo

Thank you very much!

-Katie

KtJo

Thank you very much!

-Katie

KtJo

Thank you very much!

-Katie

julie

Beth Sufian is also someone I'd highly recommend, however, I'd really recommend you go the route without a lawyer for at least one application and appeal. I say this because it's that much less $$$$$ you have to pay the lawyer.

I'm the one cowtown mentioned and I have a lot of personal experience with disability related to CF as well as assisting at least 5 people on this site with winning their disability cases.... and I'm free! I'm also happy to contact you on the phone and discuss things that way if it's easier for you.

I'd be happy to help you, I have some documents that I can send over email, just send me your email at division902@verizon.net It's so important to clearly notate things on your initial application. The word is (and it's true) that almost everyone gets denied on their first application. If and when that happens, APPEAL, DO NOT apply again. If you appeal you protect your filing date, if you choose to re-apply, you will start the filing date over again and possibly loose backpay that you are entitled to.

there is specific criteria to meet when filing for disability. Keep in mind that you only have to meet 1 of the 3 criteria. Or have a combination of some of the critera listed, even though you don't meet any one criteria at 100%. I can give you tools to assist in compiling this information so there is no question that he meets at least one criteria or that he equals a combination of the criteria.

Email me before you consider a lawyer please

julie

Beth Sufian is also someone I'd highly recommend, however, I'd really recommend you go the route without a lawyer for at least one application and appeal. I say this because it's that much less $$$$$ you have to pay the lawyer.

I'm the one cowtown mentioned and I have a lot of personal experience with disability related to CF as well as assisting at least 5 people on this site with winning their disability cases.... and I'm free! I'm also happy to contact you on the phone and discuss things that way if it's easier for you.

I'd be happy to help you, I have some documents that I can send over email, just send me your email at division902@verizon.net It's so important to clearly notate things on your initial application. The word is (and it's true) that almost everyone gets denied on their first application. If and when that happens, APPEAL, DO NOT apply again. If you appeal you protect your filing date, if you choose to re-apply, you will start the filing date over again and possibly loose backpay that you are entitled to.

there is specific criteria to meet when filing for disability. Keep in mind that you only have to meet 1 of the 3 criteria. Or have a combination of some of the critera listed, even though you don't meet any one criteria at 100%. I can give you tools to assist in compiling this information so there is no question that he meets at least one criteria or that he equals a combination of the criteria.

julie

julie

julie

julie