Do you take Mucinex??

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys have taken Mucinex twice a day for years. They started during treatment for sinus infections and we never stopped.

Others have mentioned taking just guaifenesin because its cheaper, but we liked the timed release aspect of the mucinex.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys have taken Mucinex twice a day for years. They started during treatment for sinus infections and we never stopped.

Others have mentioned taking just guaifenesin because its cheaper, but we liked the timed release aspect of the mucinex.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />Others have mentioned taking just guaifenesin because its cheaper, but we liked the timed release aspect of the mucinex.

cabgodfrey

Wow, I have heard that Mucinex dries up the mucus in the lungs and other areas of the body and it isn't able to get out so it clogs the airways and sinuses, etc. That is why they prescribe hypertonic saline or Pulmozyme, because those meds moisten the mucus and allow it to be coughed up and OUT. Mucinex is not the best option from what I have heard, but I'm not a doc, look into it!

cabgodfrey

Wow, I have heard that Mucinex dries up the mucus in the lungs and other areas of the body and it isn't able to get out so it clogs the airways and sinuses, etc. That is why they prescribe hypertonic saline or Pulmozyme, because those meds moisten the mucus and allow it to be coughed up and OUT. Mucinex is not the best option from what I have heard, but I'm not a doc, look into it!

cabgodfrey

Lanna429

The only time I took Mucinex was when I had a cold. It worked pretty good, but after a few days I felt my mucus got to thin and I felt I had a hard time coughing it up. But keep in mind, everyone's different. Give it a try!

Lanna429

The only time I took Mucinex was when I had a cold. It worked pretty good, but after a few days I felt my mucus got to thin and I felt I had a hard time coughing it up. But keep in mind, everyone's different. Give it a try!

Lanna429

Melissa75

Administrator
Cabgodfrey,
What you describe about Mucinex sounds like what I have always heard about antihistamines--like Benadryl. Are you sure you aren't thinking of that type of med?
My pulmonologist said to not take any antihistamines, as for Mucinex/guafenisen, he simply said he thinks it is as effective as drinking a lot of water, but I am welcome to use it...and I do :)

Melissa75

Administrator
Cabgodfrey,
What you describe about Mucinex sounds like what I have always heard about antihistamines--like Benadryl. Are you sure you aren't thinking of that type of med?
My pulmonologist said to not take any antihistamines, as for Mucinex/guafenisen, he simply said he thinks it is as effective as drinking a lot of water, but I am welcome to use it...and I do :)

Melissa75

Administrator
Cabgodfrey,
<br />What you describe about Mucinex sounds like what I have always heard about antihistamines--like Benadryl. Are you sure you aren't thinking of that type of med?
<br />My pulmonologist said to not take any antihistamines, as for Mucinex/guafenisen, he simply said he thinks it is as effective as drinking a lot of water, but I am welcome to use it...and I do :)

triples15

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>cabgodfrey</b></i>

Wow, I have heard that Mucinex dries up the mucus in the lungs and other areas of the body and it isn't able to get out so it clogs the airways and sinuses, etc. That is why they prescribe hypertonic saline or Pulmozyme, because those meds moisten the mucus and allow it to be coughed up and OUT. Mucinex is not the best option from what I have heard, but I'm not a doc, look into it!</end quote></div>

This is exactly what my CF doc told me when I asked about Mucinex. He said they don't recommend it because it dries out the lungs, and we want them moist, in order to cough stuff up and out. He went on to say that if I did choose to take Mucinex (and disregard his advice) that I drink a lot of water to keep hydrated.

I was surprised a while back when I read on here that people use it on a regular basis as a maintenance med. I'm still interested, and I'm wondering what others' docs have told them regarding Mucinex?

triples15

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>cabgodfrey</b></i>

Wow, I have heard that Mucinex dries up the mucus in the lungs and other areas of the body and it isn't able to get out so it clogs the airways and sinuses, etc. That is why they prescribe hypertonic saline or Pulmozyme, because those meds moisten the mucus and allow it to be coughed up and OUT. Mucinex is not the best option from what I have heard, but I'm not a doc, look into it!</end quote>

This is exactly what my CF doc told me when I asked about Mucinex. He said they don't recommend it because it dries out the lungs, and we want them moist, in order to cough stuff up and out. He went on to say that if I did choose to take Mucinex (and disregard his advice) that I drink a lot of water to keep hydrated.

I was surprised a while back when I read on here that people use it on a regular basis as a maintenance med. I'm still interested, and I'm wondering what others' docs have told them regarding Mucinex?

triples15

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />Wow, I have heard that Mucinex dries up the mucus in the lungs and other areas of the body and it isn't able to get out so it clogs the airways and sinuses, etc. That is why they prescribe hypertonic saline or Pulmozyme, because those meds moisten the mucus and allow it to be coughed up and OUT. Mucinex is not the best option from what I have heard, but I'm not a doc, look into it!</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />This is exactly what my CF doc told me when I asked about Mucinex. He said they don't recommend it because it dries out the lungs, and we want them moist, in order to cough stuff up and out. He went on to say that if I did choose to take Mucinex (and disregard his advice) that I drink a lot of water to keep hydrated.
<br />
<br />I was surprised a while back when I read on here that people use it on a regular basis as a maintenance med. I'm still interested, and I'm wondering what others' docs have told them regarding Mucinex?

C

Cherylwithone

MY daughter uses Mucinex but not long term. She runs into trouble with nose bleeds that don't stop. But, her doc will allow her to use it short term. Infact he was the one who recomended it to her. But like I said she is pron to nose bleeds.

C

Cherylwithone

MY daughter uses Mucinex but not long term. She runs into trouble with nose bleeds that don't stop. But, her doc will allow her to use it short term. Infact he was the one who recomended it to her. But like I said she is pron to nose bleeds.