gastrointestinal clean out?

C

cfgf28

We went to the clinic yesterday and my fiance was told he should do a gastrointestinal clean out.. he tends to get stomach aches about once a week even though his enzymes have been increased. He feels bloated and not hungry and like he still full even though he goes to the bathroom usually twice everyday. He has never done a clean out before so we are unsure what to expect. He was told to take a 238 gram bottle of miralax mixed w 64 Oz of Gatorade. Drink 8 Oz every 15 mins til it's gone. Then he can just maintain when he feels it's needed..once a week take a double the regular dose etc.

How quickly will this hit him? All the directions from the doctor say is start w an empty stomach. Should he not eat at all the day he does this? Should he do it on a Saturday morning? Will he be done going to the bathroom that day? Or does this take a whole weekend? He wants to feel better but hes very nervous it's going to make him feel like crap and get dehydrated and yucky...

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I don't have CF (Son does), but had to do a "clean out" before a lower GI and it usually starts to hit after about 30-45 minutes and then it lasted for about 4 hours until you basically poop liquid that looks like water. I can't remember how long that lasted BUT the lower GI was the next morning and I didn't have any issues sleeping or driving to hospital etc. I wonder if it is better for him to do a daily maintenance as oppose to wait for problems? Dear son does 2 caps a day for daily maintenance. Did they do any xrays to see if he is FOS "full of stool".

m

C

cfgf28

They did not do xrays. They just want him to try this first..he's 31 and this is a first so I'm not set what he's going to do afterwards. He might take miralax every other day or every few or just as needed. But they said start with this and they will go from there if he needs other test etc...when your son did his was he also taking laxative pills? Everyone that I know has only does this for a colonoscopy and that includes laxative pills. He's not having any kind of test done so he doesn't need the pills. This is just to clean him out...

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
our son is also on Milk of Mag, BUT his GI's procedure for a clean out is both the miralax stuff AND some laxative. I'm not sure what it is called but I know they have a protocol that has both.

MichaelL

I've had to do clean outs a number of times. They give me a product called "Peg Lyte", which I think is really intended to be a colonoscopy prep medication. I'm in Canada, so sometimes the drug names are different. It sounds to me like this may be a "mini-clean out" compared to what I do.

When I've done a clean out, it usually has taken me about 90 minutes before the product starts to work. I have been told not to eat for three hours before I start. I usually get up early drink an Ensure and eat breakfast. I then wait the prescribed three hours.

He should really plan to be home and do nothing else that day. It will take a few hours just to drink the liquid and it continues to run through you for an hour or so after drinking it. Also, once it starts working, he'll be running back and forth between the bathroom and drinking liquid. I've been told by my doctor that Miralax works better if you follow it with liquid. This may not matter since he's already drinking 64 oz of water.

I am surprised they didn't do an abdominal x-ray. They usually do one for me to decide when I need to do this clean out. It also helps to compare before and after. Unfortunately, I have had to do multiple rounds of this before I get cleaned out.

C

cfgf28

I think they didn't do an cray because this is really the first time in 31 years he's even asked if he should try miralax. He's only ever used it occasionally and just a single dose. The dr said maybe he should try a clean out, or told him he could even just do half the amount. She explained it as poop getting stuck in the corners of your intestines, so if TN is doesn't help and he starts to get pain up high or on the edges they will look further. He was just in for a tune up for his lungs about a month ago so we really aren't keen on adding to that bill so I'm sure they were thinking we probably didn't want to jump right to more testing.... well I guess he will be picking a saturday soon to stay home....

triples15

Super Moderator
I did one YEARS ago. I'm thinking I was probably 14 or 15. It was an interesting experience........;) For me, drinking the stuff was a chore. I remember having to drink A LOT, and it didn't taste good. Hopefully it tastes better by now. Mine wasn't mixed with gatorade, it was something called GoLightly, that the pharmacy had a couple flavors to choose from and then it was mixed with water. Ugh.

Anyway, I can't remember how long it took before it started working. But I DO remember it reaching a point where it was comical. :) Quite the experience just sitting on the toilet until you are literally pooping pure water.

So on that note, yes he DEFINITELY needs to plan on staying home at least all day and night. If memory serves correct, he'll be fine to get up and go the next morning. I don't remember feeling week or dehydrated, but it was a long time ago, so I suppose it's possible and I just don't remember.

Hope it works and he is feeling better for a long time afterwards!

Take Care,

Autumn 33 w/cf

B

ByGrace

My 10-year-old son has had to do a clean-out twice. The first time he used the Miralax/Gatorade combo and it took over 8 hours for him to go at all. The second time we tried Magnesium Citrate, hoping that would be more effective, but we still had the same long wait to see any progress. I would assume that most people react much, much faster than this, but if it takes a little longer don't be alarmed.

W

windex125

Miralax is a excellent product and I shd use it everyday... I won't say anymore abt that but it does keep us regular and that's most important. When I'm in pain I usually take 2 Ducalax it takes abt 4 hrs. to kick in and then its a total empty process. I love it as I hate to drink stuff esp. alot at once but I am trying harder to be more reg. with drinking the cap full of Miralax everyday it is a benefit.Good Luck Pat-59

Simba15

I just did this yesterday for a colonscopy. It took me 4 hours before it hit. Each person is different. First will be loose stools, then just water. Drink gatorade and broth.

This is my experience: I have the exact symptoms as your fiance! This clean out did nothing for my stomach aches, bloat and uneasy stomach feelings. Nothing. I also lost 0 lbs. For me, after I ate, everything was back the way it was. Instead of this, how about just all liquids for 1-2 days? Miralax contains the same chemical as jet fuel so I am not taking it unless I have to. It is no cure, IMO.

We went to the clinic yesterday and my fiance was told he should do a gastrointestinal clean out.. he tends to get stomach aches about once a week even though his enzymes have been increased. He feels bloated and not hungry and like he still full even though he goes to the bathroom usually twice everyday. He has never done a clean out before so we are unsure what to expect. He was told to take a 238 gram bottle of miralax mixed w 64 Oz of Gatorade. Drink 8 Oz every 15 mins til it's gone. Then he can just maintain when he feels it's needed..once a week take a double the regular dose etc.

How quickly will this hit him? All the directions from the doctor say is start w an empty stomach. Should he not eat at all the day he does this? Should he do it on a Saturday morning? Will he be done going to the bathroom that day? Or does this take a whole weekend? He wants to feel better but hes very nervous it's going to make him feel like crap and get dehydrated and yucky...

Simba15

I suggest a natural fiber (metamucil orange) instead of jet fuel
They did not do xrays. They just want him to try this first..he's 31 and this is a first so I'm not set what he's going to do afterwards. He might take miralax every other day or every few or just as needed. But they said start with this and they will go from there if he needs other test etc...when your son did his was he also taking laxative pills? Everyone that I know has only does this for a colonoscopy and that includes laxative pills. He's not having any kind of test done so he doesn't need the pills. This is just to clean him out...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When ds was little we used Milk of Mag. When he had an obstruction about 5 years ago, which required surgery, he ended up having to have another clean out to get things moving again. They tried golytely, then mucomyst, gastrographic enemas. His issue was unique as he had some nasty solid tar like stuff that he couldn't clear. The mucomyst orally finally did the trick. I know of a local cf kid whose parents give him mucomyst orally on a regular basis mixed with coke to clear out the gunk. Another mom gives her child miralax mixed with Gatorade -- sorta homemade golytely

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Just did a clean out at home for my child. We did 1 cap miralax every 2 hours times 3-4 doses...I make sure I give her lots of fluids(I always do anyway) Started the cleanout at 7am; started pooping by 3p; but it lasts for a day or two after. I also give her prune juice daily; not routinely miralax but will be talking to her CF doc about maybe starting to be better about it. She had a recent foot injury(ugh) which kept her from being her active self which I think led to the constipation.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
The FDA doesn't approve jet fuel for human consumption; and doctors don't prescribe a medicine unless the benefits outweigh the known risks. and just because the same chemical is in two different things--one safe for consumption and one toxic, doesnt make the safe one, unsafe. Yes, natural products offer some great benefits too-- but as my dear mother would often remind me whenever i said, well, its all natural...arsenic is a natural substance too!

C

cfgf28

Thanks for the replies..and thank you aboveallislove... he's gonna try it this weekend or next and hope for the best. It's a $10 attempt before running more tests or changing meds etc. .. works for some doesn't work for others...and chemicals / medicines all start from the same elements mixed together.where do you think all these cf meds come from? They don't grow on trees...I wish they did!

Simba15

Jet fuel are you sure????

It is a CHEMICAL. It is NOT natural. Yes it is used for jet fuel (arsenic IS natural, coming from a mineral(s) - replying to a previous post by another person). Do you want a chemical in your body or a natural substance?

Miralax is: A white powder for reconstitution. MiraLax (polyethylene glycol 3350, NF) is a synthetic polyglycol having an average molecular weight of 3350. The actual molecular weight is not less than 90.0 percent and not greater than 110.0 percent of the nominal value. The chemical formula is HO(C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]4[/SUB]O)[SUB]n[/SUB] H in which n represents the average number of oxyethylene groups. Below 55° C it is a free flowing white powder freely soluble in water.
MiraLax (polyethylene glycol 3350 - otc) is an osmotic agent for the treatment of constipation.

READ THIS: http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/the-role-of-miralax-laxative-in-autism-dementia-alzheimer.html

Oh and the FDA approves knowingly dangerous substances daily! It's called Big Pharma $$$

Metamucil is natural. Why someone would CHOOSE to swallow a chemical versus a natural substance, I can't understand. If one already has poor health why make it worse?:confused::rolleyes::eek:

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Simba's warning is potentially valid. PolyEthylene Glycol (PEG) is made up of ethylene oxide radicals. Ethylene oxide by another name was once called the deadliest chemical on Earth, dioxin (diaxin) is both mutagenic and carcinogenic. PEG's are so numerous that an entire sub-science of organic chemistry is devoted to PEGelation. The feed stock for plastics is propane and acetylene and PEG's feed stock happens to be absolutely toxic to life.

Just like oatmeal has an FDA level for the acceptable level of mouse feces that ain't zero, PEGelation chemists know best how to achieve an acceptable level of reactive products to an acceptable level that isn't zero but close enough. In fact PEG 3500 is absolutely safe taken in moderation and/or saturated with appropriate caution. PEG 3500 is absolutely inert, we cannot metabolize it.

Without a doubt there is a point when PEG will poison a person. Although we don't metabolize PEG we absorb an amount worth paying attention to. The absorption, filtering and excretion of PEG taxes the kidneys and a double daily dose is about the edge of safety for chronic use of Mirilax. Speaking of Brand v generic OTC PEG, call me a snob but here I go with a known product quality. PEG 3500 may be made at every major refinery in the world. Hundreds if not thousands of medical PEG's are out there, making PEG's a sort of feed stock for drug and medical device companies. The point is this is a finely tuned, carefully regulated industry. Is there ethylene glycol mixed in with PEG in PEG 3500, yes, and there's undoubtedly a smaller quantity of ethylene oxide. As long as a person who takes Mirilax like a bowel prep is working closely with the doctor who knows how often, how much and such, it poses little risk.

When I take a full dose of Mirilax at night, my kidneys barking at me the next morning, and they get sore if I do it for several days in a row. When I first saw the post, I was concerned about laxative abuse. Overuse of stimulant laxatives fits the classic definition but overuse of any laxative has potential consequences. Too much for too long is an easy trap to get caught up in.

There are alternatives and M of M is a good one. Lactulose is an inert sugar that like PEG, sucks up water turning into a pliant, heavy semisolid. For the generic PEG users I just frightened, most store brands are fine. Unfortunately we have paid a very high price for consistently high quality PEG. Decades ago several accidental poisonings where cough syrup, cut with PEG as many are, were mixed with ethylene glycol as one example. PEGelation chemists know full well the potential dangers and have made a premium line of valuable and safe products.

Mirilax is exactly what is found in a bowel prep minus the unpleasant ultra salty electrolytes. Keep your doctor concisely informed.

Best Luck,
LL

C

cfgf28

For now all we are doing is what the dr ordered.. a one time clean out..and we will go from there. He's used it twice this week 2 cap fulls 2 different days..then he will do the full thing..hopefully it gets the job done and he won't need it for a while. He did ask about taking a fiber supplement or a probiotic...but they said do this...trust me I'm leary on everything he takes and what he eats and vitamins etc...

azdesertrat

I've been doing 'clean outs' since it consisted of drinking Mucomyst.
Yes, I had to DRINK Mucomyst.
I've done the Ironically named, 'Golytlely'; along with the latest, Miralax & laxative mixed.
It seemed to me the Golytley, while much more time-consuming, was the most effective.
Unfortunately, the Golytely doesn't seem to work for me like it used to.
Nowadays I can't keep enough of it down to get it to work.
I'm currently on Miralax daily & it works amazingly. I can eat almost anything I want, even PORK for the first time since I was a child & the egg donor either wasn't smart enough or cared enough to keep foods that caused me pain away from me.
If his doc suggests Miralax & a laxative, please do it. He'll feel so much better.
Ask the doc about using Miralax daily prophylactically. It sure works for me anyway!
Good luck & I hope he's feeling much better soon.