gastrointestinal clean out?

Simba15

Thank you LL for all the details. Some people use Miralax regularly (not original poster). I was more concerned about those people reading this and thinking it was "fine."
Simba's warning is potentially valid. PolyEthylene Glycol (PEG) is made up of ethylene oxide radicals. Ethylene oxide by another name was once called the deadliest chemical on Earth, dioxin (diaxin) is both mutagenic and carcinogenic. PEG's are so numerous that an entire sub-science of organic chemistry is devoted to PEGelation. The feed stock for plastics is propane and acetylene and PEG's feed stock happens to be absolutely toxic to life.

Just like oatmeal has an FDA level for the acceptable level of mouse feces that ain't zero, PEGelation chemists know best how to achieve an acceptable level of reactive products to an acceptable level that isn't zero but close enough. In fact PEG 3500 is absolutely safe taken in moderation and/or saturated with appropriate caution. PEG 3500 is absolutely inert, we cannot metabolize it.

Without a doubt there is a point when PEG will poison a person. Although we don't metabolize PEG we absorb an amount worth paying attention to. The absorption, filtering and excretion of PEG taxes the kidneys and a double daily dose is about the edge of safety for chronic use of Mirilax. Speaking of Brand v generic OTC PEG, call me a snob but here I go with a known product quality. PEG 3500 may be made at every major refinery in the world. Hundreds if not thousands of medical PEG's are out there, making PEG's a sort of feed stock for drug and medical device companies. The point is this is a finely tuned, carefully regulated industry. Is there ethylene glycol mixed in with PEG in PEG 3500, yes, and there's undoubtedly a smaller quantity of ethylene oxide. As long as a person who takes Mirilax like a bowel prep is working closely with the doctor who knows how often, how much and such, it poses little risk.

When I take a full dose of Mirilax at night, my kidneys barking at me the next morning, and they get sore if I do it for several days in a row. When I first saw the post, I was concerned about laxative abuse. Overuse of stimulant laxatives fits the classic definition but overuse of any laxative has potential consequences. Too much for too long is an easy trap to get caught up in.

There are alternatives and M of M is a good one. Lactulose is an inert sugar that like PEG, sucks up water turning into a pliant, heavy semisolid. For the generic PEG users I just frightened, most store brands are fine. Unfortunately we have paid a very high price for consistently high quality PEG. Decades ago several accidental poisonings where cough syrup, cut with PEG as many are, were mixed with ethylene glycol as one example. PEGelation chemists know full well the potential dangers and have made a premium line of valuable and safe products.

Mirilax is exactly what is found in a bowel prep minus the unpleasant ultra salty electrolytes. Keep your doctor concisely informed.

Best Luck,
LL

W

windex125

Wow I feel so confused by all this, I get frequent back ups if that is a good word to use. Was drinkg prune juice every day and that worked great then all of a sudden I started vomiting from it? who knows why so that's when I started back up with the miralax but as mentioned it does take hrs. to kick in but then I go 4-5x and the next day. No bm's wait for a 2nd day nothing again so then day 3 drink it again. I eat a lot of fruit and veg. hardly ever eat red meat anymore. Yet still can't get regular? I am beg. to think what is reg? Pat-CF/59

Simba15

If the prune juice has artificial (chemical) sweeteners it can make you throw up. Make sure you are drinking pure prune juice - found in the health food aisle - not commercial prune juice. Have you tried orange flavor gritless metamucil daily? It is natural and keeps one regular. It is not an instant BM though.

Wow I feel so confused by all this, I get frequent back ups if that is a good word to use. Was drinkg prune juice every day and that worked great then all of a sudden I started vomiting from it? who knows why so that's when I started back up with the miralax but as mentioned it does take hrs. to kick in but then I go 4-5x and the next day. No bm's wait for a 2nd day nothing again so then day 3 drink it again. I eat a lot of fruit and veg. hardly ever eat red meat anymore. Yet still can't get regular? I am beg. to think what is reg? Pat-CF/59