HELP! Public school is trying to force us to have my son skip a grade.

auntcob

Hi--First of all, the school should have evaluated your son with a multidisciplinary team--it should have been more than IQ testing. Harriet is right--if you son has been identified as gifted, he has a legal right to a GIEP. An educational advocate is a good idea. I would also recommend checking websites for the National Association for Gifted Children and the National Association for Gifted and Talented Children. They will have information about advocacy and procedures in cases like you. In our district, if you disagree with the school finding, mediation is the next step but with an advocate, you do not need a lawyer (usually). There are also psychologists who specialize in educational evaluation. The evals are costly ( 2,000-3,000) but the school district, in certain cases, is responsible for some of that bill. That might be less expensive than a lawyer.
<br />
<br />Hope some of this helps

pipersmom

The first thing I would do, as a PP suggested, would be to contact the Social Worker at your clinic. There's also a website you may want to check out- <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/">Gifted Issues Forum</a>.. everyone on the forum is very helpful, and they can help you out with whether it's legal to withhold gifted services, I don't think they can. I've had to fight for GT services for Piper because she also has Asperger's Syndrome,and found the forum extremely helpful, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

You said he has a 504. Is it written into the 504 for him to have homebound teaching after a certain number of days absent? Is it written in that he have either a reduced homework load or extra time to complete makeup work? Both of these things are written into my daughter's plan, and it's helped immensely. I've also gotten to the point now that I'll say to one of her teachers point blank that if an assignment is particularly repetitive, and I feel she's mastered the work, she's not doing it (for makeup work). Piper did homebound for all but 3 weeks last year, and has already missed 3 weeks this year.

I know it's frustrating, hope this helps somewhat...

pipersmom

The first thing I would do, as a PP suggested, would be to contact the Social Worker at your clinic. There's also a website you may want to check out- <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/">Gifted Issues Forum</a>.. everyone on the forum is very helpful, and they can help you out with whether it's legal to withhold gifted services, I don't think they can. I've had to fight for GT services for Piper because she also has Asperger's Syndrome,and found the forum extremely helpful, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

You said he has a 504. Is it written into the 504 for him to have homebound teaching after a certain number of days absent? Is it written in that he have either a reduced homework load or extra time to complete makeup work? Both of these things are written into my daughter's plan, and it's helped immensely. I've also gotten to the point now that I'll say to one of her teachers point blank that if an assignment is particularly repetitive, and I feel she's mastered the work, she's not doing it (for makeup work). Piper did homebound for all but 3 weeks last year, and has already missed 3 weeks this year.

I know it's frustrating, hope this helps somewhat...

pipersmom

<br />
<br />You said he has a 504. Is it written into the 504 for him to have homebound teaching after a certain number of days absent? Is it written in that he have either a reduced homework load or extra time to complete makeup work? Both of these things are written into my daughter's plan, and it's helped immensely. I've also gotten to the point now that I'll say to one of her teachers point blank that if an assignment is particularly repetitive, and I feel she's mastered the work, she's not doing it (for makeup work). Piper did homebound for all but 3 weeks last year, and has already missed 3 weeks this year.
<br />
<br />I know it's frustrating, hope this helps somewhat...

posoutlook

I really want to thank everyone for their posts. I have recieved alot of helpful tips. The school is now asking for one more meeting before mediation although anyone I talk to at the school keeps trying to convince me to move him up a grade. Now they want me to bring prove of CF and how it affects Luke. The head of the schooldistrict had nerve to tell me that I shouldn't base any decision academically because of CF she told me there is no way "I have a crystal ball" and therefore I can't predict the future.
If anyone has articles or information that can help me to show them the complications cf brings not only medically but emotionally also. I did request info from our social worker also.

posoutlook

I really want to thank everyone for their posts. I have recieved alot of helpful tips. The school is now asking for one more meeting before mediation although anyone I talk to at the school keeps trying to convince me to move him up a grade. Now they want me to bring prove of CF and how it affects Luke. The head of the schooldistrict had nerve to tell me that I shouldn't base any decision academically because of CF she told me there is no way "I have a crystal ball" and therefore I can't predict the future.
If anyone has articles or information that can help me to show them the complications cf brings not only medically but emotionally also. I did request info from our social worker also.

posoutlook

<br />If anyone has articles or information that can help me to show them the complications cf brings not only medically but emotionally also. I did request info from our social worker also.

LouLou

Can anyone tell me what motivates this extreme drive by this school to move this kid up a grade? Is it because it allows them to enroll another child giving them a higher headcount and more money? It seems there's definitely something at play here other than the child's best interests. I commend the mother for not "giving in."

LouLou

Can anyone tell me what motivates this extreme drive by this school to move this kid up a grade? Is it because it allows them to enroll another child giving them a higher headcount and more money? It seems there's definitely something at play here other than the child's best interests. I commend the mother for not "giving in."

LouLou

hmw

Yeah, you don't have a crystal ball- but <i>neither do they</i> ...they cannot possibly predict what kind of ramifications skipping grades will have on your child down the road.

Changing grades to fit academic level is not the ideal situation. Kids belong with others their age. My 9.5yr old 4th grader is in special education and is on roughly a 1st grade level with her reading skills. Does she belong in a classroom of 6yr olds because of this?!?! NO WAY!! We have an IEP to support her learning the best we can, pull-out special ed, and include her in the mainstream environment for what she's capable of. It is IMPORTANT for her to be with her age-mates. They might tell you it's not the same, but the same concept applies- they should support your child's learning without resorting to something so drastic without putting the burden of 'proof' on you for why you have the right to deny a drastic, non-standard option- especially since they *have* gifted and enrichment programs already- not all schools do.

What will they do if in a year or two your child is once again excelling beyond the scope of his class? Will they want to advance him again? See, this is just not the solution. Eventually sitting in the classroom while everyone is going through puberty and he's still a 'little kid' w/ interests appropriate for a younger child, and then everyone is starting to date and he's barely going through puberty (esp if puberty comes late), and then everyone is driving and he's nearly 2yrs away from that... will have ramifications.

LouLou~ I think the extreme drive comes from the fact that advancing is an easier option: putting him in a class with a more challenging curriculum is simpler for them than tailoring the other options to suit his academic needs. It's not a far-sighted solution though, since ALL it takes into consideration is grades, and in all likelihood if a child is this bright within a couple years he will once again be at the top of his class and be pressured to do the same thing again...

hmw

Yeah, you don't have a crystal ball- but <i>neither do they</i> ...they cannot possibly predict what kind of ramifications skipping grades will have on your child down the road.

Changing grades to fit academic level is not the ideal situation. Kids belong with others their age. My 9.5yr old 4th grader is in special education and is on roughly a 1st grade level with her reading skills. Does she belong in a classroom of 6yr olds because of this?!?! NO WAY!! We have an IEP to support her learning the best we can, pull-out special ed, and include her in the mainstream environment for what she's capable of. It is IMPORTANT for her to be with her age-mates. They might tell you it's not the same, but the same concept applies- they should support your child's learning without resorting to something so drastic without putting the burden of 'proof' on you for why you have the right to deny a drastic, non-standard option- especially since they *have* gifted and enrichment programs already- not all schools do.

What will they do if in a year or two your child is once again excelling beyond the scope of his class? Will they want to advance him again? See, this is just not the solution. Eventually sitting in the classroom while everyone is going through puberty and he's still a 'little kid' w/ interests appropriate for a younger child, and then everyone is starting to date and he's barely going through puberty (esp if puberty comes late), and then everyone is driving and he's nearly 2yrs away from that... will have ramifications.

LouLou~ I think the extreme drive comes from the fact that advancing is an easier option: putting him in a class with a more challenging curriculum is simpler for them than tailoring the other options to suit his academic needs. It's not a far-sighted solution though, since ALL it takes into consideration is grades, and in all likelihood if a child is this bright within a couple years he will once again be at the top of his class and be pressured to do the same thing again...

hmw

<br />
<br />Changing grades to fit academic level is not the ideal situation. Kids belong with others their age. My 9.5yr old 4th grader is in special education and is on roughly a 1st grade level with her reading skills. Does she belong in a classroom of 6yr olds because of this?!?! NO WAY!! We have an IEP to support her learning the best we can, pull-out special ed, and include her in the mainstream environment for what she's capable of. It is IMPORTANT for her to be with her age-mates. They might tell you it's not the same, but the same concept applies- they should support your child's learning without resorting to something so drastic without putting the burden of 'proof' on you for why you have the right to deny a drastic, non-standard option- especially since they *have* gifted and enrichment programs already- not all schools do.
<br />
<br />What will they do if in a year or two your child is once again excelling beyond the scope of his class? Will they want to advance him again? See, this is just not the solution. Eventually sitting in the classroom while everyone is going through puberty and he's still a 'little kid' w/ interests appropriate for a younger child, and then everyone is starting to date and he's barely going through puberty (esp if puberty comes late), and then everyone is driving and he's nearly 2yrs away from that... will have ramifications.
<br />
<br />LouLou~ I think the extreme drive comes from the fact that advancing is an easier option: putting him in a class with a more challenging curriculum is simpler for them than tailoring the other options to suit his academic needs. It's not a far-sighted solution though, since ALL it takes into consideration is grades, and in all likelihood if a child is this bright within a couple years he will once again be at the top of his class and be pressured to do the same thing again...

posoutlook

I just wanted to post that the school called me and decided that they would not fight us and decided to put Luke into the accelerated Math and the Gifted program with in 3rd Grade. I am so glad this did not have to turn into a big fight with the school district.
Thanks everybody for the posts.

posoutlook

I just wanted to post that the school called me and decided that they would not fight us and decided to put Luke into the accelerated Math and the Gifted program with in 3rd Grade. I am so glad this did not have to turn into a big fight with the school district.
Thanks everybody for the posts.

posoutlook

<br />Thanks everybody for the posts.

T

TonyaH

Excellent news! So glad they realized fighting you on this was not in their best interest! Sadly, it is your son's interest they should have had in mind the entire time.

T

TonyaH

Excellent news! So glad they realized fighting you on this was not in their best interest! Sadly, it is your son's interest they should have had in mind the entire time.

T

TonyaH

izemmom

Good news! Now, get your son's 504 plan ammended to include the services they are "offering" to provide based on the testing. It seems to me that this a battle you could fight every year if it's not in writing. Actually, I think he should have a full IEP for academics now that he qualifies for G/T.

I hope the remainder of the school year is wonderful and healthy for him! Best of luck!