MUST exercise and need encouragement!

Hi everybody. I'm a frequent viewer and commenter, but I've never started a thread. I've been totally slacking off my exercise, and I need some encouragement. I'll be 40 in a month and a half, and I used to belong to a gym, exercise regularly, and now I just don't. I have a treadmill and some weights. Start small, right? I'm tired and queasy all the time from Cayston side effects, but I like feeling fitter than this. Help!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey Maggie, I don't have cf but am a horrible exercisers, but what has worked for me is not to look at long....and hard....but to do a sprint across the yard, gym, block...like 100 yards...then walk...then another sprint....for some reason I have it in me more to do a quick sprint which of course ain't really quick! Good luck

bharison

Check out www.CFLF.org they provide recreation grants as an incentive for CF patients to exercise and Live Stronger, Live Longer. There is also a documentary film at www.livingxtreme.org that features CF Patients of various ages doing amazing and extreme recreation/exercise activities. I am still here at 67 because I have been swimming laps for 40 years.

4hats

Hi Maggie, I'm 44 years old. I was diagnosed with CF a little over two years ago. That was quite a jolt! I knew I had to do something to keep my health and lungs strong. I decided to start running about 6 months after my diagnosis. Little by little I built up my stamina. I now run a few times a week and I will be running in my second half-marathon in two weeks. Running is such a great form of therapy too. Whatever you decide to do in terms of exercise, start out slow and build up and make sure you enjoy that form of exercise. You will feel so much better as a result, not just physically, but also mentally too! You can do it. Start today!

K

Keepercjr

Maggie - I do Crossfit and I really love it. I just got my 2nd grant from the CFLF to help pay for it. I scale the exercises for my ability and the atmosphere has been nothing but supportive. I have to say that exercising has been so beneficial to me and I just saw my best PFTs in probably 3 years. (I do credit some medication changes too).

And sprinting like Aboveallislove mentioned is really good for you. Do some research on high intensity workouts and you'll see the data shows that short intense sessions are better overall than long moderate sessions. Which is one of the reasons I love crossfit :)

Lance2020x

I have the same issue.... with all the time I spend on treatments adding ANOTHER thing to the routine just... sounds overwhelming. I've started the Couch to 5k running plan about 6 times.
However, as bharison said above, I'd check into the Recreation Grant.
I applied and got it, and they are paying for my gym membership. Knowing that someone else is fitting the bill sort of inspires me and I've actually been going very regularly and am feeling quite proud of myself. Hopefully it'll stick!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I do crossfit as well and LOVE IT. i think one thing about it that is specifically helpful for me is the community. it's usually a workout that is done in a group setting which for me is helpful because if i'm just relying on myself to find the motivation to go exercise it often doesn't happen. but if i think about going to exercise with a group of friends that push me and cheer me on that is way more appealing and motivating. maybe look into joining a gym that offers group exercise classes or look into crossfit--it's so fun! hard, but fun :) I think the community aspect is really helpful...

K

Keepercjr

I want to echo what jaimers said about group exercising - that is one of the best things about crossfit and other group classes. I don't have to figure out what to do - someone else tells me :) And I see the same people every time I go so the friend aspect is there too.

I thinks motivation much necessary in the exercise field,.
A strong motivation leads you a perfect bodybuilder,.and exercise is then play a vital role to build your body and health,.