Not Listening or Answering

FosterClineMD

Gosh, Lisa did such an outstanding job of answering this, I don't see what I can add.

I do remember a very talkative and "noisy" mom who, when I saw her kid alone said, "Really Dr. Cline, if you lived with my mom, you'd probably stop listening too." Sometimes when kids don't listen, it's simply because our talk/say ratio as parents is way too high. If this shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

I really want to emphasize what Lisa said - - Happy children (and happy countries, too) do well because of how the administration <i>operates</i>, not what is said, requested, promised or lectured about.

Frankly all parents say, in words, "You need to listen to me" or some such. Unhappy parents will say it over and over again, and happy parents tend to say it once, and when the child doesn't listen, they look sad and say something along the line, "Gee, I don't think this is going to work out very well for you!"

And then consistent consequences follow.

I grant you that dishing out consequences <i>lovingly and with empathy</i> when necessary is an art. Here, it's not WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it! That art of consequencing has been dealt with in many books.

FosterClineMD

Gosh, Lisa did such an outstanding job of answering this, I don't see what I can add.

I do remember a very talkative and "noisy" mom who, when I saw her kid alone said, "Really Dr. Cline, if you lived with my mom, you'd probably stop listening too." Sometimes when kids don't listen, it's simply because our talk/say ratio as parents is way too high. If this shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

I really want to emphasize what Lisa said - - Happy children (and happy countries, too) do well because of how the administration <i>operates</i>, not what is said, requested, promised or lectured about.

Frankly all parents say, in words, "You need to listen to me" or some such. Unhappy parents will say it over and over again, and happy parents tend to say it once, and when the child doesn't listen, they look sad and say something along the line, "Gee, I don't think this is going to work out very well for you!"

I grant you that dishing out consequences <i>lovingly and with empathy</i> when necessary is an art. Here, it's not WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it! That art of consequencing has been dealt with in many books.

FosterClineMD

FosterClineMD

FosterClineMD

<br />
<br />I do remember a very talkative and "noisy" mom who, when I saw her kid alone said, "Really Dr. Cline, if you lived with my mom, you'd probably stop listening too." Sometimes when kids don't listen, it's simply because our talk/say ratio as parents is way too high. If this shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.
<br />
<br />I really want to emphasize what Lisa said - - Happy children (and happy countries, too) do well because of how the administration <i>operates</i>, not what is said, requested, promised or lectured about.
<br />
<br />Frankly all parents say, in words, "You need to listen to me" or some such. Unhappy parents will say it over and over again, and happy parents tend to say it once, and when the child doesn't listen, they look sad and say something along the line, "Gee, I don't think this is going to work out very well for you!"
<br />
<br />And then consistent consequences follow.
<br />
<br />I grant you that dishing out consequences <i>lovingly and with empathy</i> when necessary is an art. Here, it's not WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it! That art of consequencing has been dealt with in many books.