Physical Therapy

Megw212

Hi Everyone,
I am a physical therapist with CF, needing some guidance on avoiding patient contact with colds. Is anyone else a PT or have experience in the healthcare field, and if so what are tactics you have used to avoid getting sick when patients come in with a nice, fresh cold?;)

Healthy wishes,
Meghan

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
That has to be frustrating! If you work at a center with more than 15 employees I'd suggest contacting HR about a reasonable accommodation to avoid contact with sick patients. If not wanting to do that, I'd just wear an N95 mask, Purell after and use hospital grade wipes. Good luck.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Do you work with a facility with 15 or more employees and more than one PT? If so, I'd suggest working with the HR department to obtain a reasonable accommodation to avoid contact with them. If not, then I'd get some masks, Purell, and hospital grade wipes for after.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
If they are unable to grant your needs as aboveallislove mentioned definitely a mask and gloves too! Maybe change into different clothes when you arrive home from work? I hope you can find a workable solution!

Hugs,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hi Meghan,

I do not have CF but my child does. I am a Nurse as well. A couple things, my place of employment post signs saying any visitor who have flu symptoms, cough etc should use purell and wear a mask. We have masks upon entrance and Purell there too. Also, I had PT myself and the physical therapist asked me to purell my hands at the beginning of each session. I was not even sick; I think it was for all patients.

If you see someone has an obvious cold; you should wear a mask. We wear masks all the time in the hospital especially during flu season. IT's a Norm. Also, shower after work and change clothes. HTH