PICC Line/Home IV Pointers?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Autumn shared Eclipse pointer. any others for PICC line or Home IV time? What do you wish you knew? Things to watch for? Ask? Do? Don't do? THANKS!

Tom

My son had his first hospitalization in Feb and they placed a PICC upon admission. He is 12 yrs old and he didn't have any issues with the placement. The team was great and the PICC was the best choice - easy to access, no soreness (except for the first day) and allowed us to leave after a week to finish with home IVs. The home IVs were really easy. They gave us infusion balls so he could move around with no issues and there is no machine to mess with. The PICC removal was painless for him. The only complication we had was his body produced some scar tissue around the PICC line and it started to come out the night of the PICC removal. Needless to say, a string of tissue coming out of the PICC line hole sent us to ER. The ER doc was perplexed but wasn't concerned. He pulled it out and sent us on our way. We contacted the CF clinic the next day and they said this happens sometimes.

LunaFaith

I average 2 PICC's a year the only problem I've encountered is I can't do the bedside PICC team, also I just had a Stent put in 7 months ago, apparently I had some blockage in my vein from the antibiotics

jaimers

Super Moderator
The last time I did home IVs I made up several days worth of dosing kits--a ziplock with gloves, saline and heparin flushes, cap, alcohol swabs, etc. so when it was time to do a dose I could just grab a bag and know everything was ready. I would save the ziplock and make more kits once they were used up. Totally not a necessary thing to do but I was juggling my infant at the same time and doing well to remember anything at all so it helped to have all of my IV "accessories" in one place :)