Question from DS on PICC

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
He wants to know when they remove it if it will hurt? And whether they need to put that sticky protective covering or just a bandaid? A big piece or a little piece? And how many days will it stay on for?

PennyBK

I've had several PICCs and have not been able to even feel them being removed - definitely has not hurt at all for me and it takes about 5 seconds for them to pull it out. Most recently they put a largish bandage over the site afterward (gauze covered by a sticky, maybe 3-4 inches square) that I was instructed to leave on and keep dry for 24 hours - and was also told no heavy lifting for 24 hours. After that I could remove the bandage and go about normal activity.

triples15

Super Moderator
So glad to see your other update that DS is feeling better and PFTs bounced back. PHEW!! I'm so happy for you guys.

RE; the PICC removal, I concur with Penny, he shouldn't even feel it. However, he should try to stay relaxed so his muscles don't tense up or spasm. I did have a PICC line get "hung up" once where it didn't want to come out. The nurse was tugging and tugging and it would come out a little and then retract back into my arm. Ugh.. The nurse had me relax for a little bit and warm pack my arm with a heating pad, and on the second try and it slid right out. After that time I always warm pack my arm prior to removal, but probably unnecessary. More now of just "this is what I do" type of thing. :) I don't think it can hurt anything. There also was another time I felt one little tiny spot on my arm hurt as they pulled one out, and like someone else mentioned on another thread there was a little bit of tissue on the catheter right at that spot where the pain was in my arm. The nurse said it was nothing to worry about and that it was a fibrin sheath that attached to line. It must be a fairly common occurrence. Lastly, sometimes my arm is a little tender for a day or so following removal. Also nothing to worry about.

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean for this to sound scary because it is actually really simple... Just try to keep him as relaxed as possible and assure him it will not hurt. Should also clarify that even the time mine was stuck it didn't hurt, just started making me panic. ;)

Well I hope that helped! Talk soon,

Autumn

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had one when he was 6 and I don't recall there being any issues with removing it. After the trauma of an ng tube, IV poke(s) and other procedures while dealing with his bowel obstruction during his 3 week hospital stay it was hardly even a blip on his radar. The nurses removed it, I think there was just a small bandage and they sent us on our way home. No issues. I was probably the squeamish one.

I do know it was covered for the most part with gauze or wrap while he had it.

MissAlexsBP

Hi @Aboveallislove!

It has been years since I've gotten a PICC removed (port now), but as others have said, I do not remember the removal of the PICC line hurting at all. I felt a really quick sensation (not painful), then they measure the PICC to make sure they removed all of the line, then put a little gauze and band aide over it. :)

Sending you happy thoughts!