"reasonable accommodations" at work, CFer in Cali

erock77

So I was working the previous year as a part time employee and collecting CA state disability to supplement lost work hours. It's expired, I've been promoted and am working more, 35-40 hours per week. I worked full time for 2.5 years before going part time.

Anyway, our policy is that part time employees don't get benefits. I'm only working less than 8hrs per day to do nebs in the morning and b/c I feel congested by the end of the day. I did some research and saw that I'm entitled to "reasonable accommodations" by my employer b/c of my disability (CF), one example was flexible hours, I assume this means I can go back to full time status receiving benefits like vacation time. Based on my years and status with the company I'm entitled to 5 weeks vacation! But I can't use them b/c I'm p/t technically. I sent an email today to start negotiations with the boss.

Anyone have experience negotiating work accommodations, particularly flex time? How'd it work out?

erock77

So I was working the previous year as a part time employee and collecting CA state disability to supplement lost work hours. It's expired, I've been promoted and am working more, 35-40 hours per week. I worked full time for 2.5 years before going part time.

Anyway, our policy is that part time employees don't get benefits. I'm only working less than 8hrs per day to do nebs in the morning and b/c I feel congested by the end of the day. I did some research and saw that I'm entitled to "reasonable accommodations" by my employer b/c of my disability (CF), one example was flexible hours, I assume this means I can go back to full time status receiving benefits like vacation time. Based on my years and status with the company I'm entitled to 5 weeks vacation! But I can't use them b/c I'm p/t technically. I sent an email today to start negotiations with the boss.

Anyone have experience negotiating work accommodations, particularly flex time? How'd it work out?

erock77

erock77

erock77

"reasonable accommodations

Hi Eric! I just got promoted to full time at my job. At my job we have the option to work 4 days a week at 10 hours a day, instead of the traditional 5 days, 8 hours. I chose the 4 days, but not all in a row. I will work 2 days, have 1 day off, work 2 days, and have 2 days off. Although it makes for a very long day, I at least don't have to work more than 2 days in a row and it gives me a day to rest in between. You mentioned not wanting to work long hours, but if you can find a way to manage your nebs (I've done them in my car on my lunch break before) then maybe it's possible. Ooh, I just had an idea. Maybe your boss could let you take an extra half hour for lunch to do nebs, and then you could make that time up with an extra 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at the end of your shift.

Hi Eric! I just got promoted to full time at my job. At my job we have the option to work 4 days a week at 10 hours a day, instead of the traditional 5 days, 8 hours. I chose the 4 days, but not all in a row. I will work 2 days, have 1 day off, work 2 days, and have 2 days off. Although it makes for a very long day, I at least don't have to work more than 2 days in a row and it gives me a day to rest in between. You mentioned not wanting to work long hours, but if you can find a way to manage your nebs (I've done them in my car on my lunch break before) then maybe it's possible. Ooh, I just had an idea. Maybe your boss could let you take an extra half hour for lunch to do nebs, and then you could make that time up with an extra 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at the end of your shift.

rubyroselee

Hi Eric,

I don't know all the laws that go with disabilities and work, but I have found that having an understanding boss is key. My boss has known about my CF almost from the beginning and has been very supportive. Luckily she's pretty educated in the medical field so she knows a bit about it. She has always let me take the time I need away from work to go to appointments, test, etc. Lately, on average, I leave work one time/week for an appointment of some sort. I have had to see all sorts of medical people lately because of my pregnancy and CF. So I am able to come and go as I please basically. I just either make up the time before or after hours (and a lot of times she just lets me take no pay instead of having to use my "time off bank" all the time). I think if you prove to your boss that you're a hard worker and that you're willing to make up anything you need to, they're usually pretty understanding and value an employee like that. I've found that tactic has always worked for me in all of my jobs.

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi Eric,

I don't know all the laws that go with disabilities and work, but I have found that having an understanding boss is key. My boss has known about my CF almost from the beginning and has been very supportive. Luckily she's pretty educated in the medical field so she knows a bit about it. She has always let me take the time I need away from work to go to appointments, test, etc. Lately, on average, I leave work one time/week for an appointment of some sort. I have had to see all sorts of medical people lately because of my pregnancy and CF. So I am able to come and go as I please basically. I just either make up the time before or after hours (and a lot of times she just lets me take no pay instead of having to use my "time off bank" all the time). I think if you prove to your boss that you're a hard worker and that you're willing to make up anything you need to, they're usually pretty understanding and value an employee like that. I've found that tactic has always worked for me in all of my jobs.

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi Eric,

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi Eric,

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi Eric,

Good luck!

erock77

Well my nebs are usually in the morning and night, and I work in downtown San Francisco so I take a bus so there's nowhere to hide. Anyway, I'd rather use the extra time to make my day shorter by going in later.

Also, my goal is to work less than 40 hours, like 30-38 per week but retain some benefits or at least a large fraction of those benefits. That's the accommodation I'm hoping for. Just a little fuzzy on the laws but it seems I'm covered to do something like this.

erock77

Well my nebs are usually in the morning and night, and I work in downtown San Francisco so I take a bus so there's nowhere to hide. Anyway, I'd rather use the extra time to make my day shorter by going in later.

Also, my goal is to work less than 40 hours, like 30-38 per week but retain some benefits or at least a large fraction of those benefits. That's the accommodation I'm hoping for. Just a little fuzzy on the laws but it seems I'm covered to do something like this.

erock77

erock77

erock77