Sterile

natem13

I'm a 16 year old male with Cf, is there a way I can tell if I'll be able to have a baby with my wife one day? How do I know if I'm sterile?

Thanks,
Nate

D

djraitz94

I haven't had my sterile testing yet since I'm not sexually active and women wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole, but I believe it's pretty much it's the same as a sperm bank except they check your sperm levels and make sure they're not deformed instead.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
You can definitely look into this issue very easily however, considering you're currently 16 you've still got a long way to go before marriage and a baby so I would enjoy life and try not worry about that right now. Although, I think most (if not, all) CF men are sterile.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I haven't had my sterile testing yet since I'm not sexually active and women wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole, but I believe it's pretty much it's the same as a sperm bank except they check your sperm levels and make sure they're not deformed instead.

I guess if you were worried about getting someone pregnant then this would be a good thing to know. Even though I'm not a guy. It would pretty much be shooting blanks. ....Have a little confidence in yourself. Come on, a ten foot pole!?

M

Murphysmama

Hi

I'm a CF mom who recently looked into this issue. Many male CFers lack a fully functional vas deferens. I'm under the impression that male CFers produce can produce viable sperm but there are two main issues: that the normal delivery mechanism isn't available and the fluid is often thicker than nonCFers which can make it appear at first glance to be not viable. Seems to me having a biological child as a male CFer would likely require some assistance (like IVF etc), but that it is certainly possible. I'm certain there are many, many people on here who know a lot more about it than me but I think there are options available for male CFers to have biological children. It's definitely not the impression I was initially under when i read my ds was 'sterile'. Like everything else with CF I think it varies...so like Autumn said don't assume you can't! :)
Good for you for seeking the answers. I'm hoping someone with some experience can help us understand a little better too!

Twistofchaos

Not to worry, in general there are solutions available for CF males if the right time and person comes into your life.

For me it happened that in my early teens I was a curious young man and me and my microscope found this out ourselves before I was told about this CF issue. It was quite a shocker. But wait till I tell you about all the other things I exa...No!

Anyway they are typical worries that come with young age and worries about how "normal" life is going to be compared to those of your peers. Good news, a couple years on and likely you'll realise more and more that you are every bit of a person or more even if you live life a little differently. That infact there's no need to give in to societal pressure to procreate at all cost, and that your peers were more crazy and much less exemplary than you thought.

But, to ease your mind simply bring it up with your doctor (they won't be shocked, it's a normal question for them) and have it tested. He/she will also explain what options are available for the future.

D

djraitz94

I guess if you were worried about getting someone pregnant then this would be a good thing to know. Even though I'm not a guy. It would pretty much be shooting blanks. ....Have a little confidence in yourself. Come on, a ten foot pole!?
Ten foot pole.

Scorp

Hello Murphy's Mom.

My semenal fluid is not thick. When coming out it runs all over in a very liquid state. As a matter of fact it is thinner if anything, maybe because of the lack of actual sperm.

ethan508

Don't self diagnosis on this one:p. Get an appointment with an andrology lab. They have you give a sample in a cup, then they examine it under a microscope. Cost is maybe a couple hundred. Keep the record as it will save you from doing it again in the future when/if you get serious about doing IVF. In the meanwhile be safe (an STI is not something you want on top of CF).

slugo21

I'm currently working on having a child. I have done the research. So this is how it works. If u don't have a vas deference. Than you have to get a semen analysis via (tsa). Testicular semen aspiration.( its gonna hurt! )

JazzZyx

Based upon a simple physical exam, an MD told me that I probably couldn't father children. Two children later, I decided he was wrong. And they are definitely my kids, and carriers of the CF gene.

T

Titan

Hi, there are options for having a family. The procedure is called testicular aspiration as mentioned previously. It doesn't hurt as much as you would think (had it done twice). My wife and I have seven year old twins using ivf so when the time comes for you there are options available to have children.

slugo21

I haven't got it done yet. I got 3 weeks til we do it. Any advices you can recommended for the ivf process.

ethan508

I don't want to hijack this post too much. Slugo could you start a new post with your specific questions, concerns, and history and I will try my best to answer them?