Sterilizing with an Avent steam sterilizer

amber682

Hi, I haven't been on in a while so forgive me if you've already discussed this. I heard we are not supposed to use the Avent sterilizers anymore that we got when the kids started Cayston. Something about FDA approval? She actually said to throw it away. Honestly I only talked with the doctor quickly in passing and we're going to the PFT lab on Monday anyway for a hypertonic saline challenge so I figured we'd discuss it there.

So just out of curiosity I stuck an instant meat thermometer in there tonight. The temp rose to 173 at it's highest, stayed there for a min or 2, and then started dropping back down. I'm wondering if that is even long enough to sanitize? If it really was just an FDA approval issue, I'd still use it anyway. I'll report back after we go on Monday :)

Beccamom

please report back Im curious. i have the avent 3 in 1. QUOTE=amber682;953905]Hi, I haven't been on in a while so forgive me if you've already discussed this. I heard we are not supposed to use the Avent sterilizers anymore that we got when the kids started Cayston. Something about FDA approval? She actually said to throw it away. Honestly I only talked with the doctor quickly in passing and we're going to the PFT lab on Monday anyway for a hypertonic saline challenge so I figured we'd discuss it there.

So just out of curiosity I stuck an instant meat thermometer in there tonight. The temp rose to 173 at it's highest, stayed there for a min or 2, and then started dropping back down. I'm wondering if that is even long enough to sanitize? If it really was just an FDA approval issue, I'd still use it anyway. I'll report back after we go on Monday :)[/QUOTE]

LAstar

I found this article in the Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. Made me feel better about using the steam sterilizer.... Lisa, mom to 13 year old with CF[h=1]Baby bottle steam sterilizers disinfect home nebulizers inoculated with bacterial respiratory pathogens[/h]
  • Dana Towle
    • [h=4]Affiliations[/h]
    • Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT 06510, United States
  • Deborah A. Callan
    • [h=4]Affiliations[/h]
    • Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT 06510, United States
  • Patricia A. Farrel
    • [h=4]Affiliations[/h]
  • Marie E. Egan
    • [h=4]Affiliations[/h]
    • Department of Pediatrics and Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven CT 06510, United States
  • Thomas S. Murray
    • [h=4]Affiliations[/h]
    • Department of Medical Sciences, Frank H. Netter MD, School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT 06518, United States
    • Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven CT 06510, United States
    • icon_authorInfo.gif
      Corresponding author at: Department of Medical Sciences, Frank H. Netter MD, School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT 06518, United States. Tel.: +
      transparent.gif
      1 203 582 6475; fax: +
      transparent.gif
      1 203 582 1418.
Received 12 July 2012; received in revised form 24 November 2012; accepted 27 November 2012. published online 26 December 2012.

[h=2]Abstract[/h][h=2][/h][h=3]Background[/h]Contaminated nebulizers are a potential source of bacterial infection but no single method is universally accepted for disinfection. We hypothesized that baby-bottle steam sterilizers effectively disinfect home nebulizers.
[h=3]Methods[/h]Home nebulizers were inoculated with the common CF respiratory pathogens methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Burkholderia cepacia, Haemophilus influenzae, mucoid and non mucoid Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. The nebulizers were swabbed for bacterial growth, treated with either the AVENT (Philips), the NUK Quick & Ready (Gerber) or DRY-POD (Camera Baby) baby bottle steam sterilizer and reswabbed for bacterial growth.
[h=3]Results[/h]All steam sterilizers were effective at disinfecting all home nebulizers. Viable bacteria were not recovered from any inoculated site after steam treatment, under any conditions tested.
[h=3]Conclusions[/h]Steam treatment is an effective disinfection method. Additional studies are needed to confirm whether these results are applicable to the clinical setting.
Keywords: Disinfection, Nebulizers, Steam sterilization, Bacterial pathogens

amber682

Ok, so the respiratory therapist told me not to use it because there is some concern over whether it is hot enough long enough to kill bacteria, or if the process is actually helping them grow. She told me to either A: boil all parts in distilled water, B: boil all parts in tap water but soak Altera head in alcohol for 10 min then rinse, or C: use Control III or a similar product

So back to boiling it is.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I love using our Avent steamer so I ran a test on ours. I have always used more distilled water than the recommended 90 ml for bottle sterilization because I figured it would be better to steam it for longer. I ended up using 160 ml. It was difficult to get temps because it would immediately start dropping once the lid was removed (and it was too steamed over to read it through the lid).
At 4 minutes in the temp had reached 170 (all temps will be given in degrees fahrenheit).
8 minutes 185
11 minutes 195
14 minutes 200
19 minutes 200 and the steamer stopped about this time.
I guess I need to do some research to see if this is long enough / hot enough to do the job. I sure hope it is!

ponytails

I love our Avent as well! 2005CFmom my avent only takes 7 minutes to sterilize.....does yours always take 19? Is it the 3 in 1. Our clinic says baby bottle sterilizer is an effective method.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I love our Avent as well! 2005CFmom my avent only takes 7 minutes to sterilize.....does yours always take 19? Is it the 3 in 1. Our clinic says baby bottle sterilizer is an effective method.

Yes, our cycle is always around 20 minutes because I add more water than the instructions say. Since it steams until the water is gone, the more water you add the longer the cycle.

I'm not sure what model but it is a couple years old. It is round and tall (has 2 "layers").

S

stephen

For sterilizing, I’ve been using Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags. (I think someone suggested them in one of these forums.)

The bags are easy to use and are quite inexpensive. They cost less than a dollar and are resuable for at least 20 times. They hold several nebulizers. Just add water and place it in the microwave for several minutes. The water inside boils. They are also great for traveling.

I use about three ounces of water. About half boils out through the vents in the bag in five minutes. By increasing the amount of water, you can extend the amount of time you want the boiling to last.

Liza

FYI, You CAN NOT use the Medela steam sterilizer bags for the cayston nebulizer head. (the metal piece) Kinda makes sense but wanted to put it out there.