Tanning Beds

dream2live

I recently decided to get a mediport put under my skin in October. The doctor that put it in said it would be ok if I went to the tanning bed, but I am getting confllicting reports from each medical personnel I ask about going to the tanning bed with this mediport.

Is there anyone else that has a mediport (that is not accessed) that goes to the tanning bed?

dream2live

I recently decided to get a mediport put under my skin in October. The doctor that put it in said it would be ok if I went to the tanning bed, but I am getting confllicting reports from each medical personnel I ask about going to the tanning bed with this mediport.

Is there anyone else that has a mediport (that is not accessed) that goes to the tanning bed?

dream2live

Scarlett81

I don't know about ports. It's hard when you get conflicting reports about a simple question. The only thing I can think of is-I know when you tan on where an unhealed scar is, you make the scar darken and it never goes away. I broke my shoulder (sliced the skin up) and tanned (in the sun) when it hadn't fully healed, and I have a huge dark patch of skin and the scar is very obvious.

The other thing is-most antibiotics that are put through your IV have sun/skin side effects. I've tanned in beds and in sun while on antibiotics and learned that the hard way!! Your whole body can blister and then you peel and lose the nice tan you had in the first place-not to mention it hurts bad.

Scarlett81

I don't know about ports. It's hard when you get conflicting reports about a simple question. The only thing I can think of is-I know when you tan on where an unhealed scar is, you make the scar darken and it never goes away. I broke my shoulder (sliced the skin up) and tanned (in the sun) when it hadn't fully healed, and I have a huge dark patch of skin and the scar is very obvious.

The other thing is-most antibiotics that are put through your IV have sun/skin side effects. I've tanned in beds and in sun while on antibiotics and learned that the hard way!! Your whole body can blister and then you peel and lose the nice tan you had in the first place-not to mention it hurts bad.

Scarlett81

littledebbie

I used tanning beds when I had my port and never had a problem. Although thats true about it darkening the scar. Make sure it's healed completely and put 30 sunscreen on the scar itself.

littledebbie

I used tanning beds when I had my port and never had a problem. Although thats true about it darkening the scar. Make sure it's healed completely and put 30 sunscreen on the scar itself.

littledebbie

dream2live

The reason I am asking is; the doctor that inserted the port said i could go to tannings, etc. but i am gettin onflicting reports from different nurses and other medical personnel. I called the company that provides the mediport, and medical personnel said it would not be a good idead due to other people lying in the the beds and could get a fungus, bit i can I always patch the port and scar area.

I would like to go back to the tanning bed and take precautioons as far as keeping the port covered up.

Any suggestions, ideas will be appreciated.

dream2live

The reason I am asking is; the doctor that inserted the port said i could go to tannings, etc. but i am gettin onflicting reports from different nurses and other medical personnel. I called the company that provides the mediport, and medical personnel said it would not be a good idead due to other people lying in the the beds and could get a fungus, bit i can I always patch the port and scar area.

I would like to go back to the tanning bed and take precautioons as far as keeping the port covered up.

dream2live

JazzysMom

IF the concern is bacteria/fungus from other people.....is it possible to go to a stand up one. That has become very popular in our area. Tho the tanning beds still exist, many seem to prefer the standup ones for a few reasons. The worries you have & many people believe it gives a more even tanned look. I have only used the stand up one so cant personally compare it to the beds!

JazzysMom

IF the concern is bacteria/fungus from other people.....is it possible to go to a stand up one. That has become very popular in our area. Tho the tanning beds still exist, many seem to prefer the standup ones for a few reasons. The worries you have & many people believe it gives a more even tanned look. I have only used the stand up one so cant personally compare it to the beds!

JazzysMom

mum2kj

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/media/storage/paper818/news/2005/04/27/HealthFitness/Tanning.May.Produce.More.Than.Golden.Glow-1104173.shtml?sourcedomain=www.iowastatedaily.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com
">http://media.www.iowastatedail....collegepublisher.com
</a>
If you do go to one I would suggest you give the bed a clean yourself.

I just read an article on it, seems you can propably catch more than a fungus from them.

mum2kj

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/media/storage/paper818/news/2005/04/27/HealthFitness/Tanning.May.Produce.More.Than.Golden.Glow-1104173.shtml?sourcedomain=www.iowastatedaily.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com
</a>

I just read an article on it, seems you can propably catch more than a fungus from them.

mum2kj

</a>

kybert

why use a tanning bed at all? please folks, look after your skin. if you want a tan there are plenty of good fake tanners out there.

kybert

why use a tanning bed at all? please folks, look after your skin. if you want a tan there are plenty of good fake tanners out there.