Tobramycin

static

I am a 21 year old w/ CF and was wondering what side effects people experienced while taking inhaled tobramycin.

<i>Feel free to skip right to the survey questions, the next few paragraphs are just about why I am asking these questions.</i>

I've been having quite a problem with compliance on this certain medication, mainly because of what I believed happened when I took it before.

My mom actually signed me up for the clinical trial of Tobramycin so I was one of the first people to try the drug out, but I was in Jr. High so I didn't have too many responsibilities. As I continued to grow older, my lung function slightly improved due to the tobi (then it was between 90-95% and went up to 99%), but I started to believe it had a negative effects on my mind. For example, it seemed easier to do well on tests and I found myself to be a more confident/better driver while not taking tobi. It just seemed while on tobi it was harder to concentrate, remember information, and quickly recall things I have already learned. I also believe it made me incredibly nervous while driving. I eventually stopped Tobi altogether and since I am now an adult nobody is forcing me to do it. However, my lung function has signifcantly decreased and this could quite possibly be a reason why.

<b>Survey Questions: These questions are based on my personal views, and as far as I know are not a common side effect of Tobi according to the FDA. </b>

1.)Have you ever had any problems driving while taking inhaled tobi (car accidents, sense of nervousness)?

2A.) What is your highest level of education?

2B.)Do you believe tobi affects learning/quick recollection/concentration at all?

3.) Any other thoughts about side effects of Inhaled Tobramycin.

Thanks in advance for participating/commenting.

static

I am a 21 year old w/ CF and was wondering what side effects people experienced while taking inhaled tobramycin.

<i>Feel free to skip right to the survey questions, the next few paragraphs are just about why I am asking these questions.</i>

I've been having quite a problem with compliance on this certain medication, mainly because of what I believed happened when I took it before.

My mom actually signed me up for the clinical trial of Tobramycin so I was one of the first people to try the drug out, but I was in Jr. High so I didn't have too many responsibilities. As I continued to grow older, my lung function slightly improved due to the tobi (then it was between 90-95% and went up to 99%), but I started to believe it had a negative effects on my mind. For example, it seemed easier to do well on tests and I found myself to be a more confident/better driver while not taking tobi. It just seemed while on tobi it was harder to concentrate, remember information, and quickly recall things I have already learned. I also believe it made me incredibly nervous while driving. I eventually stopped Tobi altogether and since I am now an adult nobody is forcing me to do it. However, my lung function has signifcantly decreased and this could quite possibly be a reason why.

<b>Survey Questions: These questions are based on my personal views, and as far as I know are not a common side effect of Tobi according to the FDA. </b>

1.)Have you ever had any problems driving while taking inhaled tobi (car accidents, sense of nervousness)?

2B.)Do you believe tobi affects learning/quick recollection/concentration at all?

static

static

static

<br />
<br /><i>Feel free to skip right to the survey questions, the next few paragraphs are just about why I am asking these questions.</i>
<br />
<br />I've been having quite a problem with compliance on this certain medication, mainly because of what I believed happened when I took it before.
<br />
<br />My mom actually signed me up for the clinical trial of Tobramycin so I was one of the first people to try the drug out, but I was in Jr. High so I didn't have too many responsibilities. As I continued to grow older, my lung function slightly improved due to the tobi (then it was between 90-95% and went up to 99%), but I started to believe it had a negative effects on my mind. For example, it seemed easier to do well on tests and I found myself to be a more confident/better driver while not taking tobi. It just seemed while on tobi it was harder to concentrate, remember information, and quickly recall things I have already learned. I also believe it made me incredibly nervous while driving. I eventually stopped Tobi altogether and since I am now an adult nobody is forcing me to do it. However, my lung function has signifcantly decreased and this could quite possibly be a reason why.
<br />
<br /><b>Survey Questions: These questions are based on my personal views, and as far as I know are not a common side effect of Tobi according to the FDA. </b>
<br />
<br />1.)Have you ever had any problems driving while taking inhaled tobi (car accidents, sense of nervousness)?
<br />
<br />2A.) What is your highest level of education?
<br />
<br />2B.)Do you believe tobi affects learning/quick recollection/concentration at all?
<br />
<br />3.) Any other thoughts about side effects of Inhaled Tobramycin.
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance for participating/commenting.

Jana

I've been on it for about 11 years and have never noticed any of those problems. At the time I started it, my lung capacity had dropped by 20%, and it came back up over the next year after I began taking TOBI and Pulmozyme.

When I first took it, going on and off it seemed to trigger migraines, but I've had them since I was a child, so it's hard to tell. If that was the case, it doesn't happen anymore.

I'm a college grad.

Jana

I've been on it for about 11 years and have never noticed any of those problems. At the time I started it, my lung capacity had dropped by 20%, and it came back up over the next year after I began taking TOBI and Pulmozyme.

When I first took it, going on and off it seemed to trigger migraines, but I've had them since I was a child, so it's hard to tell. If that was the case, it doesn't happen anymore.

I'm a college grad.

Jana

I'm a college grad.

Jana

I'm a college grad.

Jana

<br />
<br />When I first took it, going on and off it seemed to trigger migraines, but I've had them since I was a child, so it's hard to tell. If that was the case, it doesn't happen anymore.
<br />
<br />I'm a college grad.

crystalina0814

1.)Have you ever had any problems driving while taking inhaled tobi (car accidents, sense of nervousness)? None that I am aware of!

2A.) What is your highest level of education? BA in Early Childhood Education

2B.)Do you believe tobi affects learning/quick recollection/concentration at all? I have never noticed anything unusual and I have been both on for a few years- and was taken off back in July (no longer growing Psuedomonis)

3.) Any other thoughts about side effects of Inhaled Tobramycin? My only complaint was dry, sore throats.

crystalina0814

1.)Have you ever had any problems driving while taking inhaled tobi (car accidents, sense of nervousness)? None that I am aware of!

2B.)Do you believe tobi affects learning/quick recollection/concentration at all? I have never noticed anything unusual and I have been both on for a few years- and was taken off back in July (no longer growing Psuedomonis)

3.) Any other thoughts about side effects of Inhaled Tobramycin? My only complaint was dry, sore throats.

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

<br />
<br />2A.) What is your highest level of education? BA in Early Childhood Education
<br />
<br />2B.)Do you believe tobi affects learning/quick recollection/concentration at all? I have never noticed anything unusual and I have been both on for a few years- and was taken off back in July (no longer growing Psuedomonis)
<br />
<br />3.) Any other thoughts about side effects of Inhaled Tobramycin? My only complaint was dry, sore throats.

static

Thanks it's nice talking to people about my concerns openly. Despite my fears I started back on it again, and I feel a little better but won't know for sure until my next PFT. It helps to know others are on it and haven't experienced what I think I did, maybe it was all just in my head *crosses fingers*

I also haven't been culturing Psuedomonis, but after doing the tobi today I spit up some REALLY dark green watery stuff and it wouldn't suprise me if that was some psuedomis hiding deep within the lung.

My doctor keeps telling me it is good to stay on it to prevent future infections, and as Benjamin Franklin said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

static

Thanks it's nice talking to people about my concerns openly. Despite my fears I started back on it again, and I feel a little better but won't know for sure until my next PFT. It helps to know others are on it and haven't experienced what I think I did, maybe it was all just in my head *crosses fingers*

I also haven't been culturing Psuedomonis, but after doing the tobi today I spit up some REALLY dark green watery stuff and it wouldn't suprise me if that was some psuedomis hiding deep within the lung.

My doctor keeps telling me it is good to stay on it to prevent future infections, and as Benjamin Franklin said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

static

static

static

<br />
<br />I also haven't been culturing Psuedomonis, but after doing the tobi today I spit up some REALLY dark green watery stuff and it wouldn't suprise me if that was some psuedomis hiding deep within the lung.
<br />
<br />My doctor keeps telling me it is good to stay on it to prevent future infections, and as Benjamin Franklin said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".