10 years left

mabusincarnate

i worked hard and built a good career. i'm taking 2 classes per semester and i'll be done with school in 5 more classes. it all sounds great on the surface.

i'm not happy.

i'm too realistic to believe a cure is on the way. it might be but probably not in my lifetime.

that leaves me with 2 options. keep doing something that doesnt make me happy even though it makes me financially comfortable OR do something i like even if it means i'll be broke.

i took a break while writing this. during that break i completely broke down. i haven't cried in 7 years and i don't know if i've ever cried like that before. anyway, i made up my mind. now i'd like to hear what other people think.

what do you do if you know you have 10 years to live?

mabusincarnate

i worked hard and built a good career. i'm taking 2 classes per semester and i'll be done with school in 5 more classes. it all sounds great on the surface.

i'm not happy.

i'm too realistic to believe a cure is on the way. it might be but probably not in my lifetime.

that leaves me with 2 options. keep doing something that doesnt make me happy even though it makes me financially comfortable OR do something i like even if it means i'll be broke.

i took a break while writing this. during that break i completely broke down. i haven't cried in 7 years and i don't know if i've ever cried like that before. anyway, i made up my mind. now i'd like to hear what other people think.

mabusincarnate

i'm not happy.

mabusincarnate

i'm not happy.

mabusincarnate

<br />
<br />i'm not happy.
<br />
<br />i'm too realistic to believe a cure is on the way. it might be but probably not in my lifetime.
<br />
<br />that leaves me with 2 options. keep doing something that doesnt make me happy even though it makes me financially comfortable OR do something i like even if it means i'll be broke.
<br />
<br />i took a break while writing this. during that break i completely broke down. i haven't cried in 7 years and i don't know if i've ever cried like that before. anyway, i made up my mind. now i'd like to hear what other people think.
<br />
<br />what do you do if you know you have 10 years to live?

MicheleGazelle

I'm having a really miserable night, so this is likely to be a barely coherent post. Please excuse any typos or "nuttiness".

I didn't really learn to live until I spent a lot of time at death's door. I spent a long time (about 3 1/2 years) in constant excruciating pain. At some point in there, my goal was to hurt less. I began taking hot baths daily because it helped get the pain under control and began doing other things that helped get the pain under control because pain killers hardly took the edge off. At some point, I realized that the hot baths and other stuff I was doing was actually killing the infection the doctors didn't know how to treat and I would live. I really wasn't a happy camper at that point because I realized it would be a long, torturous recovery.

Not long thereafter, I decided to get divorced under very difficult circumstances. Everyone told me I couldn't "afford" to get divorced because of my health problems. I felt clear that I couldn't afford not to get divorced because my marriage was literally part of what was killing me.

I have two ASD (autism spectrum disorder) kids who just don't get a lot of social and emotional stuff and just don't understand my philosophical/spiritual point of view much of the time. I did manage to make sense to my oldest when I told him that I think "karma" and life-threatening things in life are kind of like dying in a video game: it's a way of telling me that what I'm doing isn't working and I better figure out what will work or Game Over. I began using a lot of alternative stuff without really knowing what I was doing because I had two options: The safe, secure path of certain slow death or the risky path of possible death. Given how much constant pain I was in and how hopeless the situation was, I felt like an, oops!, quicker death because I screwed up would be the better deal. So whether I died faster or got healthier, I felt like either way would be an improvement over what I was facing. So I took risks, even though I am an inherently conservative person.

I fret a LOT about my current financial problems. When I look back on things, I cannot think of a single thing I could have done differently or would have done differently. My son wcf is well and I am getting well. Unlike during my marriage, I believe these financial problems will eventually get resolved. I have gradually grown healthier and stronger. I am well enough to work a full time job for the first time in my life. I have learned to relate to people differently and to surround myself more with people whose company I enjoy and not bother so much with social "obligations" to people I can't stand who were sucking the life out of me. I have hopes and dreams concerning eventually making a living at something that means more to me than my current job. I sometimes listen to the song "Live like you were dying" and feel like announcing "that was written about me!!" (so to speak).

I don't believe it has to only be 10 years. I believe that if you have "no future" you should live for today and enjoy your life as much as possible, not caring so much about "shoulds" and what other people think (least of all me, so don't worry what I think of you -- I'm just spouting off because I am having a miserable "please kill me NOW" type evening of endless pain). I believe whatever challenges I was born with have been an opportunity for my soul to grow and to help me resolve personal bs that I wouldn't fix any other way. That what I have suffered has been a gift. I would not have divorced if I hadn't spent so much time at death's door because I tend to be hopelessly loyal. It took a lot for me to learn to say "enough". Learning to say "enough" was worth the price I paid to learn it.

I hope you find your bliss, whatever it is, and that you get what you most need, even if it isn't always exactly what you wanted.

Good luck with this question and with your decision.

MicheleGazelle

I'm having a really miserable night, so this is likely to be a barely coherent post. Please excuse any typos or "nuttiness".

I didn't really learn to live until I spent a lot of time at death's door. I spent a long time (about 3 1/2 years) in constant excruciating pain. At some point in there, my goal was to hurt less. I began taking hot baths daily because it helped get the pain under control and began doing other things that helped get the pain under control because pain killers hardly took the edge off. At some point, I realized that the hot baths and other stuff I was doing was actually killing the infection the doctors didn't know how to treat and I would live. I really wasn't a happy camper at that point because I realized it would be a long, torturous recovery.

Not long thereafter, I decided to get divorced under very difficult circumstances. Everyone told me I couldn't "afford" to get divorced because of my health problems. I felt clear that I couldn't afford not to get divorced because my marriage was literally part of what was killing me.

I have two ASD (autism spectrum disorder) kids who just don't get a lot of social and emotional stuff and just don't understand my philosophical/spiritual point of view much of the time. I did manage to make sense to my oldest when I told him that I think "karma" and life-threatening things in life are kind of like dying in a video game: it's a way of telling me that what I'm doing isn't working and I better figure out what will work or Game Over. I began using a lot of alternative stuff without really knowing what I was doing because I had two options: The safe, secure path of certain slow death or the risky path of possible death. Given how much constant pain I was in and how hopeless the situation was, I felt like an, oops!, quicker death because I screwed up would be the better deal. So whether I died faster or got healthier, I felt like either way would be an improvement over what I was facing. So I took risks, even though I am an inherently conservative person.

I fret a LOT about my current financial problems. When I look back on things, I cannot think of a single thing I could have done differently or would have done differently. My son wcf is well and I am getting well. Unlike during my marriage, I believe these financial problems will eventually get resolved. I have gradually grown healthier and stronger. I am well enough to work a full time job for the first time in my life. I have learned to relate to people differently and to surround myself more with people whose company I enjoy and not bother so much with social "obligations" to people I can't stand who were sucking the life out of me. I have hopes and dreams concerning eventually making a living at something that means more to me than my current job. I sometimes listen to the song "Live like you were dying" and feel like announcing "that was written about me!!" (so to speak).

I don't believe it has to only be 10 years. I believe that if you have "no future" you should live for today and enjoy your life as much as possible, not caring so much about "shoulds" and what other people think (least of all me, so don't worry what I think of you -- I'm just spouting off because I am having a miserable "please kill me NOW" type evening of endless pain). I believe whatever challenges I was born with have been an opportunity for my soul to grow and to help me resolve personal bs that I wouldn't fix any other way. That what I have suffered has been a gift. I would not have divorced if I hadn't spent so much time at death's door because I tend to be hopelessly loyal. It took a lot for me to learn to say "enough". Learning to say "enough" was worth the price I paid to learn it.

I hope you find your bliss, whatever it is, and that you get what you most need, even if it isn't always exactly what you wanted.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />I didn't really learn to live until I spent a lot of time at death's door. I spent a long time (about 3 1/2 years) in constant excruciating pain. At some point in there, my goal was to hurt less. I began taking hot baths daily because it helped get the pain under control and began doing other things that helped get the pain under control because pain killers hardly took the edge off. At some point, I realized that the hot baths and other stuff I was doing was actually killing the infection the doctors didn't know how to treat and I would live. I really wasn't a happy camper at that point because I realized it would be a long, torturous recovery.
<br />
<br />Not long thereafter, I decided to get divorced under very difficult circumstances. Everyone told me I couldn't "afford" to get divorced because of my health problems. I felt clear that I couldn't afford not to get divorced because my marriage was literally part of what was killing me.
<br />
<br />I have two ASD (autism spectrum disorder) kids who just don't get a lot of social and emotional stuff and just don't understand my philosophical/spiritual point of view much of the time. I did manage to make sense to my oldest when I told him that I think "karma" and life-threatening things in life are kind of like dying in a video game: it's a way of telling me that what I'm doing isn't working and I better figure out what will work or Game Over. I began using a lot of alternative stuff without really knowing what I was doing because I had two options: The safe, secure path of certain slow death or the risky path of possible death. Given how much constant pain I was in and how hopeless the situation was, I felt like an, oops!, quicker death because I screwed up would be the better deal. So whether I died faster or got healthier, I felt like either way would be an improvement over what I was facing. So I took risks, even though I am an inherently conservative person.
<br />
<br />I fret a LOT about my current financial problems. When I look back on things, I cannot think of a single thing I could have done differently or would have done differently. My son wcf is well and I am getting well. Unlike during my marriage, I believe these financial problems will eventually get resolved. I have gradually grown healthier and stronger. I am well enough to work a full time job for the first time in my life. I have learned to relate to people differently and to surround myself more with people whose company I enjoy and not bother so much with social "obligations" to people I can't stand who were sucking the life out of me. I have hopes and dreams concerning eventually making a living at something that means more to me than my current job. I sometimes listen to the song "Live like you were dying" and feel like announcing "that was written about me!!" (so to speak).
<br />
<br />I don't believe it has to only be 10 years. I believe that if you have "no future" you should live for today and enjoy your life as much as possible, not caring so much about "shoulds" and what other people think (least of all me, so don't worry what I think of you -- I'm just spouting off because I am having a miserable "please kill me NOW" type evening of endless pain). I believe whatever challenges I was born with have been an opportunity for my soul to grow and to help me resolve personal bs that I wouldn't fix any other way. That what I have suffered has been a gift. I would not have divorced if I hadn't spent so much time at death's door because I tend to be hopelessly loyal. It took a lot for me to learn to say "enough". Learning to say "enough" was worth the price I paid to learn it.
<br />
<br />I hope you find your bliss, whatever it is, and that you get what you most need, even if it isn't always exactly what you wanted.
<br />
<br />Good luck with this question and with your decision.

Nightwriter

Follow your heart's desire. Whether you are here for a day or ten years or beyond. You've picked out a number of 10 years. People break doctors' expectations all the time-- sheer will can change everything. Look at Lance Armstrong. His cancer spread to his brain. He not only survived...he won the Tour de France! And how many times?!

You don't think a cure is on the way. Discoveries come out of nowhere. That's what makes medicine so exciting. I have a friend who had leukemia. She had a stem cell transplant 8 years ago and is fine. Not that long ago, this disease was an automatic death sentence. If you look at the research for CF, there are lots of promising new drugs. So believe anything is possible -- it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Instead of focusing on the scary things that may or may not happen in the future --Try the Zen philosophy, living in the moment. Make the most of now.

You obviously have achieved a lot already. Even with dealing with a serious illness and the enormous time contraints of CF treatments, you have managed to build a career AND go to school. Wow. People without your problem have achieved so much less. Now it's time to go after your dream. How do you know that it will never make you any money? And besides, you don't have to have only one source of income. With the internet and some investments, there are other ways to make money.

And as far as your health goes, is there anything else that is within your power to improve your health? I can tell you that when I was on a fast decline 11 years ago, I made a decision to pull myself back from hell. I was having one infection after another (including pseudomonas, staph, MAC, hemophilus, etc.) complete drug resistance, as low as 32% FEV1 -- and I looked for and found a doctor who helped me change the course of my disease. And I'm constantly looking and finding things to keep myself as healthy as I possibly can. So you don't have to be a sitting duck, counting off the days until 10 years as you have figured.

Don't waste your life doing something that is not making you happy. Do something that makes your heart sing. Otherwise life is pointless.

Nightwriter

Follow your heart's desire. Whether you are here for a day or ten years or beyond. You've picked out a number of 10 years. People break doctors' expectations all the time-- sheer will can change everything. Look at Lance Armstrong. His cancer spread to his brain. He not only survived...he won the Tour de France! And how many times?!

You don't think a cure is on the way. Discoveries come out of nowhere. That's what makes medicine so exciting. I have a friend who had leukemia. She had a stem cell transplant 8 years ago and is fine. Not that long ago, this disease was an automatic death sentence. If you look at the research for CF, there are lots of promising new drugs. So believe anything is possible -- it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Instead of focusing on the scary things that may or may not happen in the future --Try the Zen philosophy, living in the moment. Make the most of now.

You obviously have achieved a lot already. Even with dealing with a serious illness and the enormous time contraints of CF treatments, you have managed to build a career AND go to school. Wow. People without your problem have achieved so much less. Now it's time to go after your dream. How do you know that it will never make you any money? And besides, you don't have to have only one source of income. With the internet and some investments, there are other ways to make money.

And as far as your health goes, is there anything else that is within your power to improve your health? I can tell you that when I was on a fast decline 11 years ago, I made a decision to pull myself back from hell. I was having one infection after another (including pseudomonas, staph, MAC, hemophilus, etc.) complete drug resistance, as low as 32% FEV1 -- and I looked for and found a doctor who helped me change the course of my disease. And I'm constantly looking and finding things to keep myself as healthy as I possibly can. So you don't have to be a sitting duck, counting off the days until 10 years as you have figured.

Don't waste your life doing something that is not making you happy. Do something that makes your heart sing. Otherwise life is pointless.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />You don't think a cure is on the way. Discoveries come out of nowhere. That's what makes medicine so exciting. I have a friend who had leukemia. She had a stem cell transplant 8 years ago and is fine. Not that long ago, this disease was an automatic death sentence. If you look at the research for CF, there are lots of promising new drugs. So believe anything is possible -- it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Instead of focusing on the scary things that may or may not happen in the future --Try the Zen philosophy, living in the moment. Make the most of now.
<br />
<br />You obviously have achieved a lot already. Even with dealing with a serious illness and the enormous time contraints of CF treatments, you have managed to build a career AND go to school. Wow. People without your problem have achieved so much less. Now it's time to go after your dream. How do you know that it will never make you any money? And besides, you don't have to have only one source of income. With the internet and some investments, there are other ways to make money.
<br />
<br />And as far as your health goes, is there anything else that is within your power to improve your health? I can tell you that when I was on a fast decline 11 years ago, I made a decision to pull myself back from hell. I was having one infection after another (including pseudomonas, staph, MAC, hemophilus, etc.) complete drug resistance, as low as 32% FEV1 -- and I looked for and found a doctor who helped me change the course of my disease. And I'm constantly looking and finding things to keep myself as healthy as I possibly can. So you don't have to be a sitting duck, counting off the days until 10 years as you have figured.
<br />
<br />Don't waste your life doing something that is not making you happy. Do something that makes your heart sing. Otherwise life is pointless.

T

theDUDE

how do you know you only have 10 years left? (did i miss something)

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE