11 yr. old w/g-button wanting to know how to hide it best

JennyCoulon

I have an 11 yr. old son who is in 5th grade and in Middle School. He has a g-button, the mini to be exact and has had it since he was 5. When he first got it placed it would go swimming without a shirt and didn't think twice about people seeing it. As he has gotten older he starting wearing a tank top under his shirts to make it less noticable. He then got to where he wanted to wear 2 tank tops and 2 t-shirts. He is now to the point where he wants to wear a hoodie to school even when it is hot outside. We are getting into summer here and it gets hot, today for instance it is going to be 88 degrees and tomorrow 90 before cooling back down.
I have bought him the big band-aids for him to put over it to keep his closer to his skin but that doesn't seem to be enough. He is worried that someone is going to see it and ask him what it is. He hates having gym class b/c he has to dress out and even then he wears a long sleeve Under Armor tight shirt under his t-shirt. I am looking for suggestions from kids his age or even older or their parent's as to how to hide it better w/out him wearing a hoodie. It drives me crazy that he can't just accept that that g-button saved his life and got him to be the healthy, weight gaining kid he is today. I know that I do not understand b/c it is not me but I can't wait until he can just be happy and proud of who he is no matter what. He has a lot of friends, some of which know about his CF and the button and many other's who do not. Any suggestions that anyone can give me would be wonderful...Thanks in advance 

JennyCoulon

I have an 11 yr. old son who is in 5th grade and in Middle School. He has a g-button, the mini to be exact and has had it since he was 5. When he first got it placed it would go swimming without a shirt and didn't think twice about people seeing it. As he has gotten older he starting wearing a tank top under his shirts to make it less noticable. He then got to where he wanted to wear 2 tank tops and 2 t-shirts. He is now to the point where he wants to wear a hoodie to school even when it is hot outside. We are getting into summer here and it gets hot, today for instance it is going to be 88 degrees and tomorrow 90 before cooling back down.
I have bought him the big band-aids for him to put over it to keep his closer to his skin but that doesn't seem to be enough. He is worried that someone is going to see it and ask him what it is. He hates having gym classb/c he has to dress out and even then he wears a long sleeveUnder Armor tight shirt under his t-shirt. I am looking forsuggestions from kids his age or even older or their parent's as to how to hide it betterw/out him wearing a hoodie. It drives me crazy that he can't just accept that thatg-buttonsaved his life andgothim to be thehealthy, weight gaining kid he is today. I know that I do not understand b/c it is not me but I can't wait until he can just behappy and proud ofwho he is no matter what. He has a lot of friends, some of which know about his CF and the button andmany other's who do not. Any suggestions thatanyone can give me would be wonderful...Thanks in advance

JennyCoulon

<p>I have an 11 yr. old son who is in 5th grade and in Middle School. He has a g-button, the mini to be exact and has had it since he was 5. When he first got it placed it would go swimming without a shirt and didn't think twice about people seeing it. As he has gotten older he starting wearing a tank top under his shirts to make it less noticable. He then got to where he wanted to wear 2 tank tops and 2 t-shirts. He is now to the point where he wants to wear a hoodie to school even when it is hot outside. We are getting into summer here and it gets hot, today for instance it is going to be 88 degrees and tomorrow 90 before cooling back down.
<p>I have bought him the big band-aids for him to put over it to keep his closer to his skin but that doesn't seem to be enough. He is worried that someone is going to see it and ask him what it is. He hates having gym classb/c he has to dress out and even then he wears a long sleeveUnder Armor tight shirt under his t-shirt. I am looking forsuggestions from kids his age or even older or their parent's as to how to hide it betterw/out him wearing a hoodie. It drives me crazy that he can't just accept that thatg-buttonsaved his life andgothim to be thehealthy, weight gaining kid he is today. I know that I do not understand b/c it is not me but I can't wait until he can just behappy and proud ofwho he is no matter what. He has a lot of friends, some of which know about his CF and the button andmany other's who do not. Any suggestions thatanyone can give me would be wonderful...Thanks in advance

CFANGEL250

I normally used an Ace wrap bandage and just wrapped it around my stomach a little tight then took it off when I got home.

CFANGEL250

I normally used an Ace wrap bandage and just wrapped it around my stomach a little tight then took it off when I got home.

CFANGEL250

nmw615

When I had my feeding tube, I usually covered it with gauze and then wrapped myself up like CFANGEL. I wish I had any words that could help him accept it, but it took me several years before I could finally look at it as a tool that saved my life, versus a nuance. Eventually, when people would ask me about it, I was comfortable enough with it to even joke and say it was a belly-button ring that had been misplaced.

I hope he can view it in a positive light soon.

nmw615

When I had my feeding tube, I usually covered it with gauze and then wrapped myself up like CFANGEL. I wish I had any words that could help him accept it, but it took me several years before I could finally look at it as a tool that saved my life, versus a nuance. Eventually, when people would ask me about it, I was comfortable enough with it to even joke and say it was a belly-button ring that had been misplaced.

I hope he can view it in a positive light soon.

nmw615

<br />
<br />I hope he can view it in a positive light soon.

Cojean62

When I had mine all I did was wear baggy shirts. There's really nothing you can really do to hide it. All I can say is don't wear tight shirts and maybe like nmw615 said, wrap him up in guaze. Get the stuff that sticks to itself. Tell him I said good luck!

Cojean62

When I had mine all I did was wear baggy shirts. There's really nothing you can really do to hide it. All I can say is don't wear tight shirts and maybe like nmw615 said, wrap him up in guaze. Get the stuff that sticks to itself. Tell him I said good luck!

Cojean62

Angel2393

hey =] I know this response is a bit late but I had a feeding tube put in at the age of 7 or 8, i forget. I hated going to school with it, especially because I didnt really wanna wear tight tight shirts..so I would always have to wear somethuing with a pattern...I have to admit though my g tube gave me no problems otherwise..my surgeon did a really good job. I know it would be a bit harder on boys because they usually go shirt less..I know my doctor said I can take it out on certain days and just put a bandade on it, but i never did that. I hav gotten mine removed now that im 19 and gained 30 pounds from my transplant..it will be okay though, as he gets older he will see it wont matter..and btw for school you can get him excused from changing

Angel2393

hey =] I know this response is a bit late but I had a feeding tube put in at the age of 7 or 8, i forget. I hated going to school with it, especially because I didnt really wanna wear tight tight shirts..so I would always have to wear somethuing with a pattern...I have to admit though my g tube gave me no problems otherwise..my surgeon did a really good job. I know it would be a bit harder on boys because they usually go shirt less..I know my doctor said I can take it out on certain days and just put a bandade on it, but i never did that. I hav gotten mine removed now that im 19 and gained 30 pounds from my transplant..it will be okay though, as he gets older he will see it wont matter..and btw for school you can get him excused from changing

Angel2393

RitaSonnenberg

I wish i had an answer for him. I just had a G-Peg put in June 8th... HATE IT!!!! the thing hangs down like 6 inches and there is a big bulky clamp on the tubing... I got some bellybands to wear (like pregnant women do) to help put the tubing close to me. The clamp of course still sticks out. Your son should be glad he has the button and not the tubing hanging out like i do... I wish mine was just a button...
I am not a parent, but i am an adult. There really is nothing you can do to help your son accept it..He will as i hope someday i will... I have only had mine almost 2 months and i hope and pray to God i dont have to have it long term... I have heard people say they are, but i am determined to make mine only a few months... Good luck to your son. SOrry not much help unless he would wear a bellyband.

RitaSonnenberg

I wish i had an answer for him. I just had a G-Peg put in June 8th... HATE IT!!!! the thing hangs down like 6 inches and there is a big bulky clamp on the tubing... I got some bellybands to wear (like pregnant women do) to help put the tubing close to me. The clamp of course still sticks out. Your son should be glad he has the button and not the tubing hanging out like i do... I wish mine was just a button...
I am not a parent, but i am an adult. There really is nothing you can do to help your son accept it..He will as i hope someday i will... I have only had mine almost 2 months and i hope and pray to God i dont have to have it long term... I have heard people say they are, but i am determined to make mine only a few months... Good luck to your son. SOrry not much help unless he would wear a bellyband.

RitaSonnenberg

<br />I am not a parent, but i am an adult. There really is nothing you can do to help your son accept it..He will as i hope someday i will... I have only had mine almost 2 months and i hope and pray to God i dont have to have it long term... I have heard people say they are, but i am determined to make mine only a few months... Good luck to your son. SOrry not much help unless he would wear a bellyband.
<br />