15 mth going for a sweat test

M

Madismom

Hi everyone, I am new here and don't really know a lot about CF. My daughter is 15 months old and has been pretty sick for the past 6 weeks. We have had 11 dr appt and two admission to hospital in that time frame. Here is a little about her: at 6 months old,she got croup and has had it about every 6-8 weeks since. The dr's kept telling me that she will out grow it and that it is normal for some to keep having it. The last time she got it was June 21 when she was hospitalized because she was having severe retractions. Well since being released, she has had a gastro infection, which she was hospitalized for, re-occuring ear and throat infections, fevers, pressure in hre right ear, coughing/gagging when she drinks, cries in her sleep, diarhhea.
After now seeing 3 dr.s, our family dr said on Friday that she would like to test her for CF and I don't know what to do. I live in Canada and our local hospital does the sweat test, but it takes 2-3 weeks for the results and I don't think I can wait that long!

Any information, support anyone can offer would be great. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and to be honest, I am scared for my baby.

M

Madismom

Hi everyone, I am new here and don't really know a lot about CF. My daughter is 15 months old and has been pretty sick for the past 6 weeks. We have had 11 dr appt and two admission to hospital in that time frame. Here is a little about her: at 6 months old,she got croup and has had it about every 6-8 weeks since. The dr's kept telling me that she will out grow it and that it is normal for some to keep having it. The last time she got it was June 21 when she was hospitalized because she was having severe retractions. Well since being released, she has had a gastro infection, which she was hospitalized for, re-occuring ear and throat infections, fevers, pressure in hre right ear, coughing/gagging when she drinks, cries in her sleep, diarhhea.
After now seeing 3 dr.s, our family dr said on Friday that she would like to test her for CF and I don't know what to do. I live in Canada and our local hospital does the sweat test, but it takes 2-3 weeks for the results and I don't think I can wait that long!

Any information, support anyone can offer would be great. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and to be honest, I am scared for my baby.

M

Madismom

M

Madismom

M

Madismom

<br />After now seeing 3 dr.s, our family dr said on Friday that she would like to test her for CF and I don't know what to do. I live in Canada and our local hospital does the sweat test, but it takes 2-3 weeks for the results and I don't think I can wait that long!
<br />
<br />Any information, support anyone can offer would be great. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and to be honest, I am scared for my baby.

letefk

I think we can all identify with what you are feeling. I remember so clearly the terror I felt when I realized CF was a real possibility, and I remember the agony of waiting. Although I know the waiting feels terrible, it sounds like a sweat test is a good idea, though. Remember that the test is just a diagnostic; lots of kids get tested, and many tests are negative. If it is CF, then the sooner you know, the better. My daughters both had chronic issues, and constant pneumonias. Although it was (and is) traumatic to live with the diagnosis, my daughters are healthier by far now that they are getting treated.

There is currently no cure, and that feels terrifying. But CF can take a lot of forms, and different levels of severity. For me, it helped to take a look at some of the adult CFers on this site. They remind me that even without a cure, CFers are living longer and longer, and there are lots of reasons to hope that our kids will be the generation that see a cure.

Hang in there. I will be hoping for the best for you and your child.

letefk

I think we can all identify with what you are feeling. I remember so clearly the terror I felt when I realized CF was a real possibility, and I remember the agony of waiting. Although I know the waiting feels terrible, it sounds like a sweat test is a good idea, though. Remember that the test is just a diagnostic; lots of kids get tested, and many tests are negative. If it is CF, then the sooner you know, the better. My daughters both had chronic issues, and constant pneumonias. Although it was (and is) traumatic to live with the diagnosis, my daughters are healthier by far now that they are getting treated.

There is currently no cure, and that feels terrifying. But CF can take a lot of forms, and different levels of severity. For me, it helped to take a look at some of the adult CFers on this site. They remind me that even without a cure, CFers are living longer and longer, and there are lots of reasons to hope that our kids will be the generation that see a cure.

letefk

letefk

letefk

<br />
<br />There is currently no cure, and that feels terrifying. But CF can take a lot of forms, and different levels of severity. For me, it helped to take a look at some of the adult CFers on this site. They remind me that even without a cure, CFers are living longer and longer, and there are lots of reasons to hope that our kids will be the generation that see a cure.
<br />
<br />Hang in there. I will be hoping for the best for you and your child.

MargaritaChic

Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to hear what you and your child are dealing with right now. But I think Laura summed things up perfectly.

Ask if there is any way to get the results earlier. If not, try to just enjoy your baby girl. CF or not she is going to need your love and attention.

Hugs,
Marla

MargaritaChic

Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to hear what you and your child are dealing with right now. But I think Laura summed things up perfectly.

Ask if there is any way to get the results earlier. If not, try to just enjoy your baby girl. CF or not she is going to need your love and attention.

Hugs,
Marla

MargaritaChic

Welcome to the site.

Hugs,
Marla

MargaritaChic

Welcome to the site.

Hugs,
Marla

MargaritaChic

Welcome to the site.
<br />
<br />I am sorry to hear what you and your child are dealing with right now. But I think Laura summed things up perfectly.
<br />
<br />Ask if there is any way to get the results earlier. If not, try to just enjoy your baby girl. CF or not she is going to need your love and attention.
<br />
<br />Hugs,
<br />Marla

holmfamily1992

Waiting is the worst. I am a mother of 8 with one confirmened and 2 testest positive and 2 borderline and three we just arent sure yet. We are waiting for genetic results to come in on the 7 children.

Sweat test results are normally known the day of the testing. You should not have to wait weeks for a sweat test result. I would ask the doctor again when the results would be available and possibly think about being referred to a CF clinic. Now if it was blood work being done thats a different story. That could take a minimum of 4 weeks.

Keep us posted, Tina

holmfamily1992

Waiting is the worst. I am a mother of 8 with one confirmened and 2 testest positive and 2 borderline and three we just arent sure yet. We are waiting for genetic results to come in on the 7 children.

Sweat test results are normally known the day of the testing. You should not have to wait weeks for a sweat test result. I would ask the doctor again when the results would be available and possibly think about being referred to a CF clinic. Now if it was blood work being done thats a different story. That could take a minimum of 4 weeks.

Keep us posted, Tina

holmfamily1992

Keep us posted, Tina

holmfamily1992

Keep us posted, Tina

holmfamily1992

<br />
<br />Sweat test results are normally known the day of the testing. You should not have to wait weeks for a sweat test result. I would ask the doctor again when the results would be available and possibly think about being referred to a CF clinic. Now if it was blood work being done thats a different story. That could take a minimum of 4 weeks.
<br />
<br />Keep us posted, Tina