15 yr old son on g-tube over a year and still serious wieght gain issues

sdgannon

My son is 15 and had a g-tube placed in him in fall of 08, last Sep. he had to be admitted to hospital for two weeks for aggressive nutritional attention.He had one visit after that, and had not lost the wieght he gained in Hosp., but didnt gain anymore. The last visit found he lost weight and there was talk of another hosp stay.
Its a combination of him being finicky eater.
Not a great appetite.
Some issues of him taking enzimes in sch cafeteria (self consious?)
Him just bein lazy, Mom and Dad both work and it seems if we are'nt around he doesnt care about eating, or eats without taking enzimes.
Hes a typical xbox/ipod teen, well ajusted, nice group of freinds. Recently I was frustrated and took xbox/ipod away from him until he committed himself to gaining wieght, but we hate to punish the kid for having CF. We been working together better, getting him to try different food, I got him on this "muscle milk" high cal protein drink, he gain a few pounds rather quickly but few days of being lazy, playin with xmas stuff, didnt eat much and dropped a cpl pounds,I blasted him "get off your ass and make yourself a protien shake if we arent around", rather then not eat at all.....his pulmonary funtion is very good always has been we are blessed in that dept., but these wieght gain issues...we will keep at him but any ideas or suggestions from anyone whos delt with this would be greatly appreceated.

sdgannon

My son is 15 and had a g-tube placed in him in fall of 08, last Sep. he had to be admitted to hospital for two weeks for aggressive nutritional attention.He had one visit after that, and had not lost the wieght he gained in Hosp., but didnt gain anymore. The last visit found he lost weight and there was talk of another hosp stay.
Not a great appetite.
Him just bein lazy, Mom and Dad both work and it seems if we are'nt around he doesnt care about eating, or eats without taking enzimes.
Hes a typical xbox/ipod teen, well ajusted, nice group of freinds. Recently I was frustrated and took xbox/ipod away from him until he committed himself to gaining wieght, but we hate to punish the kid for having CF. We been working together better, getting him to try different food, I got him on this "muscle milk" high cal protein drink, he gain a few pounds rather quickly but few days of being lazy, playin with xmas stuff, didnt eat much and dropped a cpl pounds,I blasted him "get off your ass and make yourself a protien shake if we arent around", rather then not eat at all.....his pulmonary funtion is very good always has been we are blessed in that dept., but these wieght gain issues...we will keep at him but any ideas or suggestions from anyone whos delt with this would be greatly appreceated.

sdgannon

Not a great appetite.

sdgannon

Not a great appetite.

sdgannon

<br />Its a combination of him being finicky eater.
<br />Not a great appetite.
<br />Some issues of him taking enzimes in sch cafeteria (self consious?)
<br />Him just bein lazy, Mom and Dad both work and it seems if we are'nt around he doesnt care about eating, or eats without taking enzimes.
<br />Hes a typical xbox/ipod teen, well ajusted, nice group of freinds. Recently I was frustrated and took xbox/ipod away from him until he committed himself to gaining wieght, but we hate to punish the kid for having CF. We been working together better, getting him to try different food, I got him on this "muscle milk" high cal protein drink, he gain a few pounds rather quickly but few days of being lazy, playin with xmas stuff, didnt eat much and dropped a cpl pounds,I blasted him "get off your ass and make yourself a protien shake if we arent around", rather then not eat at all.....his pulmonary funtion is very good always has been we are blessed in that dept., but these wieght gain issues...we will keep at him but any ideas or suggestions from anyone whos delt with this would be greatly appreceated.

crystalina0814

Wow, it is so interesting to read the frusteration coming from the other side!

I myself had very similar habits as the ones you described your son having. I am now a grown adult with children of my own, and I look back and regret not caring for my own health a little better.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but unfortunately, this is something that no amount of nagging or pressuring will change. He needs to come to the conclusion himself that by taking responsibility for his own health and body, he will in turn live a much happier and healthier life.

Also, as you may know, sometimes in this situation food is more of a "medicine" than enjoyment. Because of this I was placed on an appetite stimulant that has help immensely!

Good luck!

crystalina0814

I myself had very similar habits as the ones you described your son having. I am now a grown adult with children of my own, and I look back and regret not caring for my own health a little better.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but unfortunately, this is something that no amount of nagging or pressuring will change. He needs to come to the conclusion himself that by taking responsibility for his own health and body, he will in turn live a much happier and healthier life.

Also, as you may know, sometimes in this situation food is more of a "medicine" than enjoyment. Because of this I was placed on an appetite stimulant that has help immensely!

Good luck!

crystalina0814

Good luck!

crystalina0814

Good luck!

crystalina0814

<br />
<br />I myself had very similar habits as the ones you described your son having. I am now a grown adult with children of my own, and I look back and regret not caring for my own health a little better.
<br />
<br />I know this is not what you want to hear, but unfortunately, this is something that no amount of nagging or pressuring will change. He needs to come to the conclusion himself that by taking responsibility for his own health and body, he will in turn live a much happier and healthier life.
<br />
<br />Also, as you may know, sometimes in this situation food is more of a "medicine" than enjoyment. Because of this I was placed on an appetite stimulant that has help immensely!
<br />
<br />Good luck!

iamnina3178

i had a gtube placed when i was 16 and still have it as it saves me a lot of the time when i have a bad appetite or am more sick than usual. does he use the gtube much? i know when i used to skip days it would make a huge difference, also when i use a little bit more formula than i am used to it makes me more hungry in the day. i only use mine at night but the formula used also makes a huge difference. a few i tried i didnt digest at all, and now i use twocalHN and its seems my body digests it much better than previous ones. my brother has cf too and is the same way as you have described and has been forever, he takes his enzymes a lot though, but still doesnt gain any weight and rarely eats anything (except junkfood and candy) and nothing with calories or protein. my brother also had problems drinking energy drinks and things that would suppress his appetite.

iamnina3178

i had a gtube placed when i was 16 and still have it as it saves me a lot of the time when i have a bad appetite or am more sick than usual. does he use the gtube much? i know when i used to skip days it would make a huge difference, also when i use a little bit more formula than i am used to it makes me more hungry in the day. i only use mine at night but the formula used also makes a huge difference. a few i tried i didnt digest at all, and now i use twocalHN and its seems my body digests it much better than previous ones. my brother has cf too and is the same way as you have described and has been forever, he takes his enzymes a lot though, but still doesnt gain any weight and rarely eats anything (except junkfood and candy) and nothing with calories or protein. my brother also had problems drinking energy drinks and things that would suppress his appetite.

iamnina3178

iamnina3178

iamnina3178

sdgannon

He uses his G-tube every night and is using twocalHN also, four cans, I never heard that adding more ,might make him hungrier the next day... maybe Ill try an extra can.Theres a drink called Nutriment that seems to be the only ''ensure like'' drink he likes....I mix one of those with a scoop of high cal protien powder..I'll try everything i can, but i think crystalina's comment above is right , he has to realize the importance of meeting his nutritional needs himself, but I'll keep on him..thanks for your input.

sdgannon

He uses his G-tube every night and is using twocalHN also, four cans, I never heard that adding more ,might make him hungrier the next day... maybe Ill try an extra can.Theres a drink called Nutriment that seems to be the only ''ensure like'' drink he likes....I mix one of those with a scoop of high cal protien powder..I'll try everything i can, but i think crystalina's comment above is right , he has to realize the importance of meeting his nutritional needs himself, but I'll keep on him..thanks for your input.

sdgannon

sdgannon

sdgannon