16 month old and TOBI

AidansMom

Hi there,

My 16 month old cultured for PA last CF visit and has been on inhaled TOBI antibiotics since. It seems two weeks into his TOBI treatments he started grabbing and fussing with his ears. No prior ears problems before this, but now it seems to be affecting his sleep. Last night he cried inconsolably, tugging on his ears. Last Tuesday we took him to his regular pediatrician and she said his ears looked fine.

Has anyone else had problems with TOBI treatments?

Thanks

AidansMom

Hi there,

My 16 month old cultured for PA last CF visit and has been on inhaled TOBI antibiotics since. It seems two weeks into his TOBI treatments he started grabbing and fussing with his ears. No prior ears problems before this, but now it seems to be affecting his sleep. Last night he cried inconsolably, tugging on his ears. Last Tuesday we took him to his regular pediatrician and she said his ears looked fine.

Thanks

AidansMom

Hi there,

Thanks

folione

I really think you should call the CF doctor about it...Tobi can affect hearing and if your child does not have an ear infection, I'd be nervous about it.

My son is almost 4 and has been on/off Tobi the past 2 years. The only side effect he has had is some hoarsness.

folione

I really think you should call the CF doctor about it...Tobi can affect hearing and if your child does not have an ear infection, I'd be nervous about it.

My son is almost 4 and has been on/off Tobi the past 2 years. The only side effect he has had is some hoarsness.

folione

NoExcuses

yup read the prescribing information (you can get it from your pharmacist or it's included in the box of the medication).

Tobramycin can cause ototoxicity, tinitis and hearing loss. it doesn't happen to everybody, but it can happen.

and as with any medication, it's a trade off. PA causes lung damage and early death and tobramycin is one of the only antibiotics we have to treat PA.

NoExcuses

yup read the prescribing information (you can get it from your pharmacist or it's included in the box of the medication).

Tobramycin can cause ototoxicity, tinitis and hearing loss. it doesn't happen to everybody, but it can happen.

and as with any medication, it's a trade off. PA causes lung damage and early death and tobramycin is one of the only antibiotics we have to treat PA.

NoExcuses

izemmom

Certainly ask the cf docs about it...but, I dont think pulling at his ears would indicate hearing loss. I would have the ped check the ears again. Several times, my girls had signs of an ear infection before the ped could see it. At least twice dx'd it before the doc and insisted on an anti! LOL... The ped. finally said that some kids are just late to show inner ear irritation. Hope the TOBI I know how rough it can be with a little one. Good luck! Here's wishingyou all better sleep!

izemmom

Certainly ask the cf docs about it...but, I dont think pulling at his ears would indicate hearing loss. I would have the ped check the ears again. Several times, my girls had signs of an ear infection before the ped could see it. At least twice dx'd it before the doc and insisted on an anti! LOL... The ped. finally said that some kids are just late to show inner ear irritation. Hope the TOBI I know how rough it can be with a little one. Good luck! Here's wishingyou all better sleep!

izemmom