16yo - Sick for 2 Months, Fever, WeightLoss, SOB

kybert

she just stopped insulin? was this because her diabetes got better without insulin or did she just stop it herself? ditto the what lindsey said about the antibiotics. also, even without a dextrose infusion, antibiotics can still raise blood sugars. if it is diabetes causing these problems, she will never get better without treatment. just worse at a rapid rate.

swabbing the g tube isnt enough to look for infection. infections arent always visible on the skin. ask for a blood test. check for c.diff as others have said. apart from that i dunno. if someone is ill like that something should show up, even if it is cf related [infection markers and bacteria numbers would be up etc etc]. do you know what bugs are growing in her sputum? are they treating the vomiting and diarrhea?

AUNTMARLA

Sorry for the delay.. Brittany is still in Pittsburgh Children's Hospital.. It's been 12 days now. Dr. Ornstein (not sure of spelling) is her doctor there. Dr. O did say the infection "Asphrallis...." was streaked thru her lungs.. They started her on Rx for C-Diff, but then the test came back negative and they stopped it. I read alot about CFRD after the 1st reply and I do believe alot of the problems started there. The doctor didn't stop her insulin, they did. Personally, I don't think they gave it a chance.. It takes trial and error to get medication correct. Apparently she past out once. They seem to have it under control at the hospital. I will double check on the Dextrose.. Her biggest issue still is nausea.. They just did some type of swallow test (checking her digestive track).. She's running a fever again too. It comes and goes.. Keep us in your prayers..

AUNTMARLA

Sorry for the delay.. Brittany is still in Pittsburgh Children's Hospital.. It's been 12 days now. Dr. Ornstein (not sure of spelling) is her doctor there. Dr. O did say the infection "Asphrallis...." was streaked thru her lungs.. They started her on Rx for C-Diff, but then the test came back negative and they stopped it. I read alot about CFRD after the 1st reply and I do believe alot of the problems started there. The doctor didn't stop her insulin, they did. Personally, I don't think they gave it a chance.. It takes trial and error to get medication correct. Apparently she past out once. They seem to have it under control at the hospital. I will double check on the Dextrose.. Her biggest issue still is nausea.. They just did some type of swallow test (checking her digestive track).. She's running a fever again too. It comes and goes.. Keep us in your prayers..

AUNTMARLA

AUNTMARLA

AUNTMARLA

AUNTMARLA

kybert

aspergillus? have they tested her ige levels? wow thats pretty stupid that she stopped the insulin herself. all because she passed out once? talk about giving up easily.

kybert

aspergillus? have they tested her ige levels? wow thats pretty stupid that she stopped the insulin herself. all because she passed out once? talk about giving up easily.

kybert

AnD

Is her fever coming and going over long periods of time, like up for a few days, and down, or is it up and down during the day? I had IV fever a couple of times- IV med in, fever up; almost time for next dose, fever down; med again, fever up...

AnD

Is her fever coming and going over long periods of time, like up for a few days, and down, or is it up and down during the day? I had IV fever a couple of times- IV med in, fever up; almost time for next dose, fever down; med again, fever up...

AnD

Pumuckl

This is probably not related to what she is experiencing but I thought I would toss it out just in case.

A few years ago I became quite ill with similar symptoms and the docs placed me on high doses of steroids and antibiotics which only made things worse. In my case the problem was allergy to mold which had suddenly developed due to a slow leak in my home. It was a fluke how it was discovered and is a rather long story so I will not bore you with that. But once they stopped the meds I returned to normal in the hospital and once the mold was cleaned up at home I was fine.

Like I said probably not the same in your nieces case since it sounds like the CFRD is the culprit but I thought I would mention it.

Pumuckl

This is probably not related to what she is experiencing but I thought I would toss it out just in case.

A few years ago I became quite ill with similar symptoms and the docs placed me on high doses of steroids and antibiotics which only made things worse. In my case the problem was allergy to mold which had suddenly developed due to a slow leak in my home. It was a fluke how it was discovered and is a rather long story so I will not bore you with that. But once they stopped the meds I returned to normal in the hospital and once the mold was cleaned up at home I was fine.

Like I said probably not the same in your nieces case since it sounds like the CFRD is the culprit but I thought I would mention it.

Pumuckl