1898+1G>A Mutation

jcmaxwell9

I have the Same Two Mutations

Hi, does anyone else have the single copy of 1898+ 1G>A as well as the copy of the delta F508
My daughter Chelsie seems to be really well since being since diagnosed 5 years ago not sure if this has anything to do with the mutations so i was just wondering if anyone else with these mutations are very well, or had a bad time. Thanks

Mom to Chelsie 5 w/cf
I have attached some photo's from our wedding this year.x

Just found I have the same two mutations and I was a little shocked when I found out they were Class 1 and 2 because I am nearly 27 and have never even been hospitalized. I wasn't even diagnosed until i was 7. I never had too many problems growing up mostly just like a kid with asthma and had seasonal problems with coughing. I've always considered myself a mild case. I played sports growing up and played Hockey and football through high school and into college. I only recently had to get a heavy dose of antibiotics for a weird bacteria i picked up working on a farm. Theres no reason to pay attention to mutation class if you ask me. I've always thought the best medicine was as much excercise as you can tolerate. If your daughter loves sports encourage her to pursue them. I honestly think my biggest health problems started after i retired from team sports. Stay positive is the best advice I can give you. There are some bright sides to CF... coughing gives you rock hard abs and I've never had anyone call me fat haha! Wish you and your daughter the best!

MOM247

My son also has this mutation & the 2585delT mutation. He is 5 years old & still hasn't cultured any bugs that have required Tobi or IV drugs. (Knock on wood). He was born with meconium illieus, and had surgery as a newborn. At #3 years old scar tissue from those 2 surgeries at birth ended up choking off part of his bowel. That required a surgery to repair & week in the hospital. Other than that things have been pretty calm:)

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny 5 w/cf & Bailey 3 no-cf

RM

Our daughter has the 1898 mutation you asked about. My understanding is that the less virulent mutation dominates so her case has been relatively very mild (until sinus troubles this summer). Her lungs and growth have been excellent so just because the mutation is classified as a relatively troublesome one doesn't mean your child's health will be bad. It depends on the rest of her system and the other mutation. At least this is my understanding and it seems true for our daughter. Good luck.